What fuel in 3.2 v6

imotepify

Reaction score
As above guys do you use cheap fuel or go 2 BP or Shell ect and do you use the 97ron like V-power or BP ultimate? I Always use the better fuels even in our 20 year old hilux, our old car (V6 GSI) wouldnt run very well on low octane stuff. But have any of you found problems with different fuels in the 3.2 v6 quattro?

Based on my mechanic app I use on my pc. I put in a 2006 Audi A4 3.2 quattro. It recommends MIN 98.

Now I would believe that to be true. But you can confirm this if you look inside you fuel cap it will tell you the recommended fuel rating for your vehicle.

To answer for most of the 2.0 TFSI users are running 99 octane. As you cant get 98 at the pump as far as im aware.

Shell is 99 Ron , BP is 97. And for a turbo vehicle there is a noticeable difference between the fuels thou. Even if on paper I am only getting 1 more HP. The car recommends it so that's what I use.

So go with what is inside your fuel flap.

Try avoid tesco super or what ever it is called. Some swear by it but around my area there have been a lot of known issues. Besides if you get a shell card you get points. And I would think the 3.2 has a big tank is some what thirsty so your points will rack up.

Its something better than nothing. So for every litre of Vpower its 2 points and for ever 500 points its £3 off your fuel so.

Every bit counts.

I've only had mine a few weeks but I always swear by vpower. I did have a look in the handbook and says it runs on 95ron which is the normal stuff but I've always found all my cars to run smoother on the good stuff. Will only use shell though as tried all others and found there's to be the best.

Only ever put in the max ron available i.e. Total Excellium 98 or V-Power. Wouldn't touch anything else. Why buy a motor like that and feed it with anything less? PLus these motors are notoriosly susceptiblke to s***e petrol, (which I have experienced myself when car just cut out 100m after the petrol station after having just filled up. (thanks TOTAL) ) . Having said that, dosn't stop the carbon build up though does it?

I'm interested in what mileage people get. mine seems to drink like Oliver Reed on a stag do. I'm getting around 300 miles per tank of mixed urban/motorway and can't help feeling that even for a 3.2 that's a little low.....

Only ever put in the max ron available i.e. Total Excellium 98 or V-Power. Wouldn't touch anything else. Why buy a motor like that and feed it with anything less? PLus these motors are notoriosly susceptiblke to s***e petrol, (which I have experienced myself when car just cut out 100m after the petrol station after having just filled up. (thanks TOTAL) ) . Having said that, dosn't stop the carbon build up though does it?

I'm interested in what mileage people get. mine seems to drink like Oliver Reed on a stag do. I'm getting around 300 miles per tank of mixed urban/motorway and can't help feeling that even for a 3.2 that's a little low.....

Well I've done mostly town driving with couple of runs since had mine and popped another 30quid in and got so far 280ish and it's just above the bottom quarter mark. I don't think the constant quattro helps and the sexual revving I keep doing. I used to have a 350z and that got about the same. Had a 85 litre tank though

Off topic a bit but when I first bought my 2.0t fsi I used 95.....and the noise from the engine was so bad that the local Audi dealer told me not to drive it.....sounded like a bag of nails had been let loose in the turbo. Changed to 98 mostly v power....and engine has been bang on ever since nearly 2 years.....I rest my case your honour!

Cheers
A

Last edited:
As an experiment my father in law ran his car on the super fuels, the extra mpg he gained was cancelled out by the extra price, he reckoned there was no difference in how the car ran, hes been a mech all his life.
I have tried the posh petrol and diesel in many cars and myself have never noticed any difference, this is over many years and stacks of different cars, always fill mine up at a shell garage.
Unless you are going racing I thinks its probably a waste of money.

As an experiment my father in law ran his car on the super fuels, the extra mpg he gained was cancelled out by the extra price, he reckoned there was no difference in how the car ran, hes been a mech all his life.
I have tried the posh petrol and diesel in many cars and myself have never noticed any difference, this is over many years and stacks of different cars, always fill mine up at a shell garage.
Unless you are going racing I thinks its probably a waste of money.

Lynallbel I would be the first to agree with your FIL that all the high ron pish talk was nothing but that....however, I witnessed the difference in the 2.0t fsi from 95 to 98 and no sh1t, it was incredible......I thought I had killed my engine....I really did.....but since filling with 98 never heard a thing.....

Clearly engine specific...and am not convinced I get extra mpg from using it.....but those rattles and clanking have never came back since switching to 98.

BR
A

If you look on the fuel flap of the 2.0T FSI it's supposed to have 98 RON. If you look in the book is says something like "will run on 95 RON with reduced performance". I put VPower in.

About 300 here as well mate

As I said in the 1st place all of our cars are run on the good stuff and could really notice our old v6 running better with the 97+ ron fuels. will let ya know how the mpg and range are on the 3.2 quattro when we have a had it a while, trouble is I do luv the sound from the v6 in the higher rev range lol