Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Other Super Unleaded 97/98

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Branded (non supermarket) 95

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Itguy

Reaction score
Ok, another boredom relief thread as the hours now count down to March 1.

What fuel are you using in your s3 or do you intend to use?

Bit limited where I live for Shell (my preference) as nearest garage is 20 odd miles away. So will either be BP / ESSO super or Tesco 99 for me as only have these locally.

I have been using sainsburys 97 in our golf gti and our z4 (to good effect) but am wondering if I should really be trying harder to find momentum 99 at tesco for the s3? Sainsburys is right next to my work but tesco is a slight detour, hence not being fuel of choice so far.

Do any of the A3 TFSI engines benefit from >95 RON fuel? i.e. does the 1.4 Cylinder on Demand become more efficient?

Shell VPower 98 octane, it's not called Nitro where I live.

Do any of the A3 TFSI engines benefit from >95 RON fuel? i.e. does the 1.4 Cylinder on Demand become more efficient?

You have to look in the fuel flap to see, or the manual. It's unlikely the 1.4 will benefit from 98RON

I will only be putting in Shell 98 RON Optimax or Caltex 98 RON Vortex.

Interesting.

Big love for vpower then - any reason why over momentum 99?

I read this the other day http://www.tescopfs.com/content/downloads/mbk_12_0311_2.pdf and was quite impressed.

If momentum is ever so slightly better, cheaper and you get club card points is that wrong?

OK...an 8P owner here,but the principle is the same.....

Where I am,the biggest reason behind V-Power vs. Momentum is just availability and convenience of not having to travel well out of my way to get the stuff.
Yes,if it was closer to my daily commute,and cheaper,I'd use Momentum99,but frankly,having used both,there isn't a significant difference in them,and whichever is nearest and most readily available will go in the car.

One thing I would say is that it never,ever has 95RON fuel,and only has BP's offering when neccessary.

Reactions: cuke2u and Itguy
Location and price for me. Momentum99 is 4p cheaper per litre and just round the corner from where I work, plus Avios points.

Like Alex says, subtle differences between them, but not 4p per litre worth.

There's also a heap of uninformed tosh and heresay out there, "Better detergents" - in an 8P engine the fuel never cleans the valves anyway (direct injection), "Tesco use ethanol to boost RON" - V Power Nitro has ethanol in it too, but both are below the max %, and isn't an octane boost etc. etc.

Reactions: cuke2u and S3Alex
And lets face it, if there is ever a car on here that needs a high RON fuel it's yours :anbet:

Reactions: S3Alex
And lets face it, if there is ever a car on here that needs a high RON fuel it's yours :anbet:

Like my dog,I always feed it the best I can find!

And...don't forget the WMI for safety.

Whilst this makes a difference for S3's, what about the performance diesel fuels? Do people think they make a difference? Watched a fifth gear show where they found they gave an extra 5hp (approx), although I take that with a pinch of salt...

Whilst this makes a difference for S3's, what about the performance diesel fuels? Do people think they make a difference? Watched a fifth gear show where they found they gave an extra 5hp (approx), although I take that with a pinch of salt...

The problem is that the 5 bhp you're seeing will be at full throttle,and not many of us drive like that.

Peak gains are all very well for marketing,but often don't translate well into everyday motoring.

Reactions: BGS
Momentum for me - Tesco is just more convenient. I buy Shell VPower when I'm passing a station and need to fill though. Also double reward points on VPower with a VPower card. ;)