What has fallen off my car?

pole_2_pole

Reaction score
Hi all,

Attached are photos of part of a metal ring that has fallen off my car this morning; does anyone know what it is? I drove slowly over a speed bump at work and heard a horrid noise from under the car, proceeded up the drive only to hear a metallic noise of something falling off... stopped and found that!

Car is 2009 3 door A3 tdi.

Any help appreciated.

Ed
rmsitk.jpg

adn9dl.jpg

At a guess it looks like a snapped spring.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Part of a coil spring from the suspension, time for a new kit all round

Part of a coil spring from the suspension, time for a new kit all round

Oh man. Is is safe to drive? I’m currently 60miles from home and need car all week.......!

Reactions: LEE69
It should be it's the end that's snapped so hopefully that will stay sat ok

As above snapped spring.
Sorry to say, but don't be driving that car, get it straight to a garage. It's not road worthy until that is fixed.

@LEE69 not sure insurance or plod would see it that way to be honest.

Looking at the size of the bit you have found I would say it looks like a spring from the rear.
At a minimum you should replace both sides to make sure the car sits evenly.

As above snapped spring.
Sorry to say, but don't be driving that car, get it straight to a garage. It's not road worthy until that is fixed.

@LEE69 not sure insurance or plod would see it that way to be honest.
Many moons ago cut springs were the normal, i'd be ok driving it, try jacking it up and see, take a picture if need be. I agree plod will not like it, but i'd be surprised if it is even noticeable

Reactions: luke_m87
Don't hold me to it but i think its fine to drive, it only the last half turn, some people would never have noticed and driven for years like that, its quite likely the end of the spring sits in a cup and the MOT guy wouldn't even notice TBH.

Many moons ago cut springs were the normal, i'd be ok driving it, try jacking it up and see, take a picture if need be. I agree plod will not like it, but i'd be surprised if it is even noticeable

:laughing: the days of Vauxhall Corsa B drivers putting Red Tops in and cutting springs to lower!
I would agree it should be ok to drive, but if the OP isn't sure what or where the piece came from, I would guess they may not know what they are looking at to see if the remaining part of the spring is sat in a safe position, or which corner they need to look at.
I'd recommend getting it checked out

Cut the spring on the other side of the car to even it up, there yer go, lowered suspension for free.:sm4:

Reactions: Sandra and LEE69
You sound like you know what you're on about hmmmmm, been there?

Reactions: Sandra
as others have said, its just the bottom part of the spring, that sits in the cup. fine to drive on, many people drive with them like that, all the potholes/speedbumps etc are a major cause.
dunno about the whole plod issue, thats a bit far fetched and bordering scare mongering but it is an mot failure though

happened on my corsa a few years ago. nearly dropped a brick when i heard it, sounded like something serious was falling off.

As most have said, its a piece of the spring but not a significant amount to worry about.
Make sure the spring is still seated correctly, and look to get the pair replaced as soon as you are able. They are obviously past their best if they are starting to fail, so don't put it off for too long.

Rear springs are common on the S3. Both mine went and I didn't notice until MOT time!

There was someone selling a set of rears in the classifieds / ebay posts.