What have you done to your 8V today?

I got the knee pads attached to a center tunnel as a part of a pre-owned leather interior. You can find a lot of stuff on ebay :) There are a few posts online inclusive ASN on how to swap them. Here's a brief how-to.

- stick a flat screw driver or a trim removal tool between the tunnel and the knee pad and start prying. You'll hear pop-like sounds when sonic welding begin to crack. Move your tool to another place and go on until it pops out.
- do the same inside your car, but be careful and don't damage anything around. It's harder to get the knee pads off inside the car due limited space. There is a part of the knee pad that goes deeper inside the tunnel on a driver side of the LHD car. I don't know on what side this part is on a RHD car. Anyway, be aware of it.
- SAND all bonding surfaces. It's not only important for a better bonding. It's also important for better fitment as the broken welding would have some residue that wouldn't allow the knee pad to fit snugly. Sand it until you have no crack (the original one is approx 1 mm wide) between the tunnel and the knee pad when you press the knee pad in the middle. There's is no surface to glue the upper edge of the knee pad to the tunnel, so make sure it sits well naturally when the knee pad is glued to the original welding spots.
- MASK everything around the knee pad. Leave no open surface because glue might and would drop. I'm glad I did.
- I used Loctite 2 component epoxy, 25 ml. Half of the glue went to one side, another half to the other. Mix and apply it fast as there are a lot of surfaces to cover but you have little application time before it starts to cure. Thats why it's important to cover everything around because you don't have time to be too gentle. Perhaps choosing a slower curing epoxy would be a better option. I applied the Loctite on the tunnel side only.
- Put the knee pad on place and press it until the Loctite hardens. I used masking tape on the top and screw clamps in the middle. I stuck a piece of hard foam between the knee pad and the dash, so it was pressed all the way.

View attachment 180085 View attachment 180086 View attachment 180087 View attachment 180088
Sorry to drag this up. Do you have a link to the exact epoxy you used? I've tried using the description Loctite 2 component epoxy, 25 ml. So many variants. Did it hold them with no problems?

Went in for a partial de-chrome:
0C3C98D8 EB64 4B0E A35B 15553F381FFF
B2FD2AD5 0830 48F6 9575 AB2E9A0D9A68
CA71B0D4 1918 45E3 B732 D05310881375
446169F4 527B 4D9A 8581 D37C64926798
7AA72015 DB55 43A7 9FF4 91F5EF689878

Reactions: dp_motley and S3LOK
looks good, I want to do my window surrounds, anything to look out for can you remove the trim or best to do in situ?
Trim can't be removed on an S5, but I believe Starry on here removed his chrome trim on the S3 to paint it black.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Sorry to drag this up. Do you have a link to the exact epoxy you used? I've tried using the description Loctite 2 component epoxy, 25 ml. So many variants. Did it hold them with no problems?
It holds well. I can't give you a link as we live in different countries. But here's a picture of what I used that I downloaded from the internet. You can use any strong glue you have in your local store. I chose this one because it was fast curing. However and based on my experience, I would choose something slower as I had to work really fast and there are too many parts to apply the glue to, so I was a little stressed.

Loctite

Reactions: Leevr
Finally got the car on the dyno.

20191115 153435 3024x1470

Reactions: craigpanthercrystal
Awesome. I just need the down pipe and intercooler otherwise exactly like your spec. then was going revo. Is the down pipe a big job or can it be diy?

Awesome. I just need the down pipe and intercooler otherwise exactly like your spec. then was going revo. Is the down pipe a big job or can it be diy?
Sorry mate, I had the pipe and cat fitted while my clutch was being fitted at TRD in Gloucester.

Fitted the new stick. Was so easy. Took 2 mins.

20191116 145234 1470x3024
20191116 145245 1470x3024
20191116 145238 3024x1470

Reactions: SPIKE_
Fitted the new led bulbs from EM Tuning. Makes a massive difference. So bright now. Pictures dont do them justice. Well pleased, and no error codes. For £19 it's a bargain.
20191201 155143 3024x1470
20191201 155148 3024x1470
20191201 155159 3024x1470
20191201 155214 3024x1470

Reactions: Dunedin, dp_motley and DJAlix
Finally removed all chrome from my car :D Got my chrome window trims and grill vinyl wrapped to black :) And did a small de-badging and added some black logos :)

tgAAAgAy2eA-1920.jpg

AIAAAgOi2eA-1920.jpg

ruAAAgGi2eA-1920.jpg

NQAAAgOi2eA-960.jpg

Pipe trims were painted black as well
QgAAAgOi2eA-1920.jpg

v0AAAgAOOeA-1920.jpg

9oAAAgJpOeA-1920.jpg

No mercy to chrome! :D

Reactions: dp_motley, tommysmith and pburv
Finally removed all chrome from my car :D Got my chrome window trims and grill vinyl wrapped to black :) And did a small de-badging and added some black logos :)

tgAAAgAy2eA-1920.jpg

AIAAAgOi2eA-1920.jpg

ruAAAgGi2eA-1920.jpg

NQAAAgOi2eA-960.jpg

Pipe trims were painted black as well
QgAAAgOi2eA-1920.jpg

v0AAAgAOOeA-1920.jpg

9oAAAgJpOeA-1920.jpg

No mercy to chrome! :D
Nice and subtle mods. Looks good.:yes:

Was the front grille badge (rings) wrapped too or did you replace it with the black one?

Those are from ebay. I bought front and rear ones from ebay already in black color :) I just think it is not worth wrapping logos, cuz it is too complicated :)

Another tow back to Audi ... Same drivetrain failure ... =( Cant even look at it till the 2nd of Jan Got an A4 barge until then ...

Quite scared and all ready looking at replacements for it as I cant have a 3 year old unreliable car =( !

21045AAA C59A 4250 A968 8A8490D9DADE
2DCE4150 77F6 4B50 B851 5BB41015BB8C
927E3AAC 13CD 4E55 855F 8BE4AE1F3E20

E65646A3 5CB0 4751 AC96 E576DEB1FE50

Last edited:
That's gutting, especially this time of year. Imagine the rarity of these cars doesn't help when trying to identify faults and what not. Best of luck!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

jeeze. its a nightmare. Being a hybrid doesnt help matters as its not like a normal car where you can kinda work out whats wrong.
The scary bit is I have now discovered unlike a petrol or diesel there is no alternator . The 12v battery is charged by the HV battery system . This means that you can’t just drive the car only on petrol in a limp home mode for any distance as the 12v system is not being charged . I was 30 miles away from my Audi garage and they said that was to far too drive without risking a dead unmovable vehicle .... The tech is amazing when it works but unfortunately it seems VAG has dropped the ball with this drive train unlike toyota/lexus etc....

Reactions: Adam14 and Khufu
Fitted an RS3 grille and upgraded the rear end from a S-line (2 exhaust pipes on the left hand side) to S3 with a sports exhaust and 3.5" black tips.

RS3 Grille 3
Rear end conversion 1
Rear end conversion 3
Rear end conversion 4

Reactions: Dunedin, SPIKE_, pburv and 5 others
Fitted an RS3 grille and upgraded the rear end from a S-line (2 exhaust pipes on the left hand side) to S3 with a sports exhaust and 3.5" black tips

I've got a standard s3 diffuser to fit too. Need to do some work to it first as its a bit boring in current form and needs to be painted black.

Reactions: dp_motley
Fitted an RS3 grille and upgraded the rear end from a S-line (2 exhaust pipes on the left hand side) to S3 with a sports exhaust and 3.5" black tips.

Looking really good, stunning in that colour as well. Love Nardo grey.

Looks great . Did you change the whole back box or cut tails and add twins to existing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Haven’t done it yet but will be in the next hour.

fitting my carbon fibre interior pieces that i bought about 8months ago and not got round to fitting.

Reactions: Leevr
Went with the misses today for her to test drive a 2015 Ford focus st-3. In tangerine orange. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how good a car it was. All the toys. Electric full leather recaro seats with side bolsters that were huge and supportive maybe overly. I'm not a big guy 14 1/2 stone and I just fitted between the bolsters. On a long journey maybe a bit too snug. The interior finish was good. Infotainment was great. The exhaust note from the get go was very deep and throaty. Brakes were spot on. Suspension was on the firm side but coped well with the **** roads. No clunks or thuds. Steering had great weight and feedback feel. I find the S3 steering a bit light and vague, even if I'm in dynamic and suffer with understeer, although this may be down to my pirelli tyres. Good turn of pace as its pushing 250bhp. On the whole I'd recommend it as a possible alternative, albeit a step down from 4wd and power.

Reactions: pburv