What have you done to your 8V today?

One pic before, one after in a good light from a ‘normal’ viewing position (looks really decent from that angle), and another a bit closer where if you zoom it’s not quite as good and you can see where it’s bare metal.

Summary - if I’d had a practice wheel this attempt would have been far better. I made the mistake of initially taping up around the repair to limit the damage but then there was no blend and it looked awful. It looked so bad at one point I though f*ck it I may aswell just go for it now and I did. The area I’ve marked was bigger than needed but this was due to the inexperience, but overall if the repair holds up I think it’s pretty good. I left a little nic in the metal as I didn’t want to go too deep to remove this last mark at risk of mis-shaping the wheel too much. Worst case scenario if it still bothers me I could get a refurb but it may not look much better. Just need to buy some lacquer to seal it now. Any recommendations for this welcome. I will only spray the affected area.
Cracking job mate , especially for a first run at it

Reactions: Pook
Over in Burnham Market in North Norfolk this week. There’s some money around here, that’s for sure. Saw one of these this morning while out for a mooch around. Lambo Urus - 4.0l V8 pushing out 640bhp - very imposing in the flesh with 23” wheels and calipers the size of my forearm! £200k+ though - serious bit of kit and serious money.

4665EAF8 EB50 43CD B7A2 1E11E36AC863

Last edited:
Reactions: tommysmith, Jassyo06, S3LOK and 1 other person
The E-tech wheel lacquer is good stuff. Used it a couple of times. Cheapest place to buy it is eBay.

I have just got my wheels back from being refurbed. Went for shadow chrome. Really liking the colour compared to the original

f99cc19578d4bd173a9cd676b7d80ff8.jpg

f3ac85778988e2aca781a3447759b8e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OCDaveS4, Jassyo06, Mark_86 and 3 others
I have just got my wheels back from being refurbed. Went for shadow chrome. Really liking the colour compared to the original

Ooooh that shadow chrome is something else. Very nice indeed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Gave mine a well deserved wash with:
bilt hambler auto wheel, snow foam and auto wash and a quick Autoglym Rapid Aqua wax.

Attachments

• 07CF594D-9E10-4E65-B0D4-2D31FEC4D50F.jpeg
    07CF594D-9E10-4E65-B0D4-2D31FEC4D50F.jpeg
    909 KB · Views: 291
  • 3D62D702-A477-4FB5-B072-8C61D527672D.jpeg
    3D62D702-A477-4FB5-B072-8C61D527672D.jpeg
    915.6 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: Jassyo06, Reggieboy71 and Pook
The E-tech wheel lacquer is good stuff. Used it a couple of times. Cheapest place to buy it is eBay.
Thanks! Does it need blended at all or is it a case of just masking up all the bits I don’t want and going for it with it being clear? I don’t want an obvious line where I’ve masked up.

You need to blend it to avoid a visible edge. What I do on small area repairs is cut a suitable shaped hole to match the repair area in the middle of a sheet of paper, then fix this a few mm away from the surface. Obviously in your case you should also mask the tyre with some tape. The spray will drift a little under the mask, and create the blend. Use a few very light coats, allowing a few minutes between or you will get runs. Leave it a few days to fully harden, then you can polish it back to a gloss with a fine cutting polish (it will be bit matt at the edges). Make sure you clean the surface well before you start with a good degreasant. A bit of practice with the spray before you start is worthwhile - it’s very easy to overdo it and get runs.

Very impressed with the Shadow Chrome , looks really good mate . Done a spot on job by the look of it too

Reactions: Phil-1
You need to blend it to avoid a visible edge. What I do on small area repairs is cut a suitable shaped hole to match the repair area in the middle of a sheet of paper, then fix this a few mm away from the surface. Obviously in your case you should also mask the tyre with some tape. The spray will drift a little under the mask, and create the blend. Use a few very light coats, allowing a few minutes between or you will get runs. Leave it a few days to fully harden, then you can polish it back to a gloss with a fine cutting polish (it will be bit matt at the edges). Make sure you clean the surface well before you start with a good degreasant. A bit of practice with the spray before you start is worthwhile - it’s very easy to overdo it and get runs.
Thanks for the advice mate. My wife’s car is getting a refurb in a weeks time after kerbing it so might have a little practice on that.

Had it squished!
eee2c16ac74ddd8d5f9d66b4243602f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pinky1959, Jimbob76, Audi Bairn and 4 others
Fitted new maxton rear diffuser!
20190811 071442 1080x1440 01

Reactions: OCDaveS4, Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and 8 others
Like tinted lights. Goes really well with a black car.
Until ye switch on yer lights on and they're as dim as a 2 watt bulb....

Last edited:
Reactions: Kayobong, dp_motley, Mark_86 and 2 others
Ah man, looks really nice, great work.

Im not usually a fan of the blacked out lights but suits yours very well. Great looking S3!

Cheers,

Chris

Reactions: ohmyaudi
Curious about the lense tint . Are the light clusters bought like that or did you get them tinted mate ?
After market
Looking good and being practical is 2 different things :wink:
I have always thought the rear tail lights on Audi cars to be one of their best design attributes that they accell at with no peers ....same with their headlight technology
Oem factory tinted lenses look the nuts..like on the Rs5 etc..without sacrificing the all important safety aspects the said members car is without doubt tastefully modified but l just dont like rear tinted after market tail lights or for that matter tinted front headlights mate...

Reactions: Adam14 and Scotty75
Over in Burnham Market in North Norfolk this week. There’s some money around here, that’s for sure. Saw one of these this morning while out for a mooch around. Lambo Urus - 4.0l V8 pushing out 640bhp - very imposing in the flesh with 23” wheels and calipers the size of my forearm! £200k+ though - serious bit of kit and serious money.

View attachment 188103
I was behind was of these beasts a few month ago it was painted in bright yellow....!!!! Defo not the colour for a car of this size...A fat balding old chap....behind the wheel with his Mid-Life crisis sat beside him in the passenger seat...although l must admit the metallic grey Urus looks a Tad more tasteful...but still it's got "Football Players car" written all over it

Reactions: NevMan, Mark_86, Jimbob76 and 1 other person
My S-Line after getting the wheels refurbished in shadow chrome.

IMG 1282

IMG 1283

IMG 1279

Reactions: Pinky1959, NevMan, Jonny B and 5 others
Matrix Candles on a S-Line very rare...well done you

Cheers dude! They’re a great bit of kit, though only had them on a few times since picking it up in early May so busting for the darker nights coming in.

Reactions: NevMan
It's a laugh isn't it - we're the only bunch that looks forward to cool, overcast days for detailing and dark evenings to admire our fancy headlights (oh and a bit of rain after polishing to admire our beading, followed by sunshine to see the paint flakes "popping" !!)

My Mrs thinks I've gone mad !!! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Mark_86, NevMan, Adam14 and 5 others
It's a laugh isn't it - we're the only bunch that looks forward to cool, overcast days for detailing and dark evenings to admire our fancy headlights (oh and a bit of rain after polishing to admire our beading, followed by sunshine to see the paint flakes "popping" !!)

My Mrs thinks I've gone mad !!! :tearsofjoy:

It’s the simple things....... :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan and OCDaveS4
Nice ! All you need now is one of those little LED Audi torches to go in your cigarette lighter !!

added some bling. Hope its not too cold in the winter.

View attachment 189021
Cold in the winter - yes, but well worth it IMHO. Loved it when we had them in our manual A3 & S1. They have a great feel to them as well as being tasty to look at!

Reactions: Scotty75 and NevMan
Cold in the winter - yes, but well worth it IMHO. Loved it when we had them in our manual A3 & S1. They have a great feel to them as well as being tasty to look at!

Thanks, i managed to find it a lot cheaper than the usual £270 they are on ebay!