What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Pie-eyedpiper

Fitted the replacement rear spring top and bottom rubber bungs , it has made a small difference and the old ones were a bit flat to be honest, not 100% sure it was worth the time and effort though for the small gain, still its more worn parts replaced which is the most important thing. :icon thumright:

Was it a subframe lower job, and a severe wiggle to get them in?

Jamsmoo

f1ebf038eb6487b27617d8e723e4f889.jpg

Nipped to a mates house who has the same mtms as me but in black ..just to see ,not a fan of black wheels ,but that doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would ..still waiting on the powder coaters to get my black roof bars done

AlpineCab

Mundane job - changed fuel filter. bit of a fiddle but needed doing, can't remember when it was last done, years ago.
Loads of crud came out the old filter, seems to idle smoother now.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
painted the 18z's , it didnt turn out well. :scared2:

back to the drawing board on color scheme.

i3oricua

painted the 18z's , it didnt turn out well. :scared2:

back to the drawing board on color scheme.
Gotta see the good and the bad. I'm sure it looks terrible and we will only mildly make fun of you.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
i'll wack up a pic in the morning, really not happy with finish and even worse they look pants too.....

its going to be stripper time again :sob:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
There is a allways a slim chance they will look better in the morning, its going to be very slim indeedy, i think a miracle is required to be honest.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
:yes:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
A new day and the 18z's looked a bit better this morning so I've decided to leave them as is and re-assembled them, i did order a pair of new link pipes but the original are not to bad, i might cancel the new pipes and save myself £90.
Anyway, not one of my better projects color wise but makes a change from the normal red , blue or yellow.
new Brembo decals should be Tuesday so they will change the look a bit more aswell.
abc30.jpg
abc31.jpg

i3oricua

A new day and the 18z's looked a bit better this morning so I've decided to leave them as is and re-assembled them, i did order a pair of new link pipes but the original are not to bad, i might cancel the new pipes and save myself £90.
Anyway, not one of my better projects color wise but makes a change from the normal red , blue or yellow.
new Brembo decals should be Tuesday so they will change the look a bit more aswell.
View attachment 242074 View attachment 242075
Are you nuts Rob? That's a great color choice. They look amazing.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Thanks Edgar, it's supposed to be copper, but I'm not convinced it is but it's different which is my current approach.

What I noticed today is that they are not the same 18z's that I have on my old bus at the moment.
These are Porsche Cayenne units, my red ones on the old bus were lambo ones so Audi fitment.
It's not a massive difference, there is a web on the front bottom corner on the red ones and it's missing on the cayenne ones, pistons sizes are the same but I know some 18Z's do have different sizes of pistons.
Still they still work the same..lol

Donfero

View attachment 242074 View attachment 242075
Thats a fine job.. they look awesome!!

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
They look well Rob! Look to have a good finish.
Was that done with a brush? Which paint did you use?

Mike
I had a few quotes for powder coating which were silly money so decided to play safe and go wet paint , worse case if it went tits up it would be easier and less costly to change colors.
It's e-tech caliper paint, i have used it before and found it lasted really well so though i'd give it a go again.
It's brush finish but in this color but brush on is a deffinate nono, it came out really rubbish, all streaky and pants basically.
I have a compressor and paint gun so poured the tin into the gun and gave it a spray coat , came out really well compared to the first attempt, still not what i'd like finish wise but it will suffice.
That e-tech paint is a bit thick for spray application from the tin, I was going to thin it down but not sure it would have worked out as good.
I think I paid £19 for the paint kit and used half the tin so enough to do the back now, cheapest powder coat quote was £60 , bit of a no brainer to be honest.
The next time i do caliper painting I will just use the sprayer.

Rob

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
I'm still researching why the difference in the 18Z caliper bodies , i can't see any real reason for the extra bit of casting , must be a reason for it though.
It's on the red ones but not the copper ones.

brembo10.PNG
brembo31.PNG

Donfero

I'm still researching why the difference in the 18Z caliper bodies , i can't see any real reason for the extra bit of casting , must be a reason for it though.
It's on the red ones but not the copper ones.

View attachment 242076 View attachment 242077
Probably just to differentiate between the Porsche and the other, or maybe from a different year and design..

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Very possibly . :icon thumright:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
I've been doing a final costing to fit one of these sets to my TT, on reflection I think I may just sell the red set now and keep the rebuilt Copper ones.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Also expecting some nice goodies from across the pond very soon now.
The old bus is getting some attention at the moment. :yahoo:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Was it a subframe lower job, and a severe wiggle to get them in?
I just lowered the subframe a bit and used my spring compressors , as i have shorter springs they came out very easy.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
f1ebf038eb6487b27617d8e723e4f889.jpg

Nipped to a mates house who has the same mtms as me but in black ..just to see ,not a fan of black wheels ,but that doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would ..still waiting on the powder coaters to get my black roof bars done
Are they 19" ?
,And the ride height looks spot on James. :icon thumright:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Thanks rob and yes 19s with 235 35
Very happy with how the apex springs have settled in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They look bigger to be honest.

johnbhoy

Nearly all the other sections have one of these threads and I can't find one on our section so thought I'd start us off.

Over the last few days I've done

New gear knob
New dv
New pcv valve
New pcv gasket
New n80
Cleaned TB and new gasket
New rear brakes
Painted all brake calipers and dust guards.
New pollen filter.

View attachment 80136
View attachment 80137
View attachment 80138
View attachment 80139
View attachment 80140
View attachment 80141
View attachment 80142

So what you lot been upto?
new double cup holder 3d printed

Attachments

• IMG_20210817_203937.jpg
    IMG_20210817_203937.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Had a few hours on the old bus this afternoon.
So off with the old red 18z's and on with the new ( well refurbed) copper 18z's , very straight forward job and all seems to work spot on.
brake pedal feels fine but I'll give it a week and then just check for any residual air with a bleed .

I wasn't too sure how they would look on the old bus but i kinda think they look really good now, a nice change form the normal colors.
IMG_3555 (3).JPG

Last edited:

Jamsmoo

So off with the old red 18z's and on with the new ( well refurbed) copper 18z's , very straight forward job and all seems to work spot on.
brake pedal feels fine but I'll give it week and then just check for any residual air with a bleed .

I wasn't too sure how they would look on the old bus but i kinda think they look really good now, a nice change form the normal colors. View attachment 242412

Look mint wheels too

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Not exactly today but yesterday i fitted this lot to the DTM.

5C904ACA-77B0-4ACE-A0D6-0270DB38B505.jpeg

Brake pedal is so much firmer and the brakes responsiveness is so much better, also the H&R 10mm spacers all round makes the car feel so much better planted too. Had to shave down the PW Motorsport bolts as they hit the 350mm A45 AMG discs, i also opted for a washer nut over the ‘squish’ nuts supplied by PW motorsport they are a genuine 21mm nut used on front shock absorbers with threadlock on the last threads.

Part list of bits used:-

H&R Trak+ (10MM) - 55571-10A
RS4 Hose - HEL - AUD-4-315
PW Motorsport bolts
Pad sensors - 8R0 615 121 A
Calipers - Porsche 18Z with nipples and cross over pipes swapped round.
RS4 brackets - 8E0615133G and 8E0615134G
Fitting kit - PFK503
Pads - Brembo - P 85 065
Disc - Brembo - 09.B913.11 (CB milled to 68mm)

All in all went pretty well just had to cut the head off a bolt to use as a centre lug for the disc/spacer/wheel will order a proper one for future repairs the brake line routing was a doddle with the aid of the RS4 brackets.

A2D52372-75CF-412C-9F0D-5521D048C3DF.jpeg

and the finished product.

9CC35737-81D4-457E-BB27-A8C617C02761.jpeg

5DBB6391-29CE-4E3A-814D-A85B0AB2A929.jpeg

and after a quick wash

66CFBFC5-50ED-4591-9899-29710A87A165.jpeg

Next job is B7 S4 300mm rear upgrade then onto front/rear bushes and suspension.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter

View attachment 242439

Brake pedal is so much firmer and the brakes responsiveness is so much better, also the H&R 10mm spacers all round makes the car feel so much better planted too. Had to shave down the PW Motorsport bolts as they hit the 350mm A45 AMG discs, i also opted for a washer nut over the ‘squish’ nuts supplied by PW motorsport they are a genuine 21mm nut used on front shock absorbers with threadlock on the last threads.

PW Motorsport bolts
Fitting kit - PFK503
Pads - Brembo - P 85 065

All in all went pretty well just had to cut the head off a bolt to use as a centre lug for the disc/spacer/wheel will order a proper one for future repairs the brake line routing was a doddle with the aid of the RS4 brackets.

View attachment 242440

View attachment 242441
View attachment 242442

and after a quick wash

View attachment 242443
Next job is B7 S4 300mm rear upgrade then onto front/rear bushes and suspension.
looks great, another 18z convert then. :yes: :thumbs up:

Bobbytea

brake pedal feels fine but I'll give it a week and then just check for any residual air with a bleed .

I wasn't too sure how they would look on the old bus but i kinda think they look really good now, a nice change form the normal colours

They look ace Rob, great job.

Bobbytea

I wasn't too sure how they would look on the old bus but i kinda think they look really good now, a nice change form the normal colours

They look ace Rob, great job.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Thanks , they just make a change from the off the shelf colors.

NM07

I wasn't too sure how they would look on the old bus but i kinda think they look really good now, a nice change form the normal colors. View attachment 242412
Really love the look of the copper calipers Rob, very OEM+, gives it a bit of colour but not too shouty

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter

View attachment 242439

PW Motorsport bolts
Fitting kit - PFK503
Pads - Brembo - P 85 065

View attachment 242440

View attachment 242441
View attachment 242442

and after a quick wash

View attachment 242443
There is another route for the rears that will give you a larger diameter disc without going the vented 300mm s4 route and you can keep the A4 calipers, just a carrier change.
I'm not convinced the 288mm to 300mm upgrade is worth the cost to be honest given your only getting a marginally larger disc when there are several options out there now.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
I compared the cost of buying some expensive used and tatty B7 s4 calipers, then the 300mm disc and pads , then most likely having to refurb the calipers aswell, its going to be in the region of £400-450 easy.
Then I looked at the other options given the overall use of the parts , which is to balance up the front to rear bias more and improve rear braking, also look the part.

I'm going this type of route, it's a bit of a no brainer really.
1630870868808.png

Last edited:

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
I compared the cost of buying some expensive used and tatty B7 s4 calipers, then the 300mm disc and pads , then most likely having to refurb the calipers aswell, its going to be in the region of £400-450 easy.
Then I looked at the other options given the overall use of the parts , which is to balance up the front to rear bias more and improve rear braking, also look the part.

I'm going this type of route, it's a bit of a no brainer really.
View attachment 242461
I get that and I personally prefer vented over solid disc’s and yeah the S4 300mm upgrade is costing me best part of £400+ but with the S4 rear caliper upgrade it will also increase the piston size to 43mm as opposed to 38mm which then means with having the 18Z 6 pots and 300mm S4’s i can upgrade to the S4/RS4 master cylinder which is 27mm as a opposed to the stock one at 25.4mm which should give for an even better pedal feel and braking all round.

Last edited: