What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

The offside rear brake line union on my old bus is total shot, corroded beyond belief.
Being tucked away behind the wheel arch liner it has just been destroyed by mother nature.
I have a set of new lines but just haven't got round to fitting them yet, I expect I will just cut off the remnants of the union, make a new flair joint and wack on the new lines.

The offside rear brake line union on my old bus is total shot, corroded beyond belief.
Being tucked away behind the wheel arch liner it has just been destroyed by mother nature.
I have a set of new lines but just haven't got round to fitting them yet, I expect I will just cut off the remnants of the union, make a new flair joint and wack on the new lines.

I found the same issue when changing my rear lines. I took mine to my local indy garage to change mine rather than shear it off on my drive, and be scuppered.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Thats my plan actually, i have a flaring tool at work do will do as you described. Should be an easy enough repair job, i just want to get stuck on the ramp at work as it was getting late in the day

Thats my plan actually, i have a flaring tool at work do will do as you described. Should be an easy enough repair job, i just want to get stuck on the ramp at work as it was getting late in the day
That's the thing with older cars, if you have the ability to fix problems and also more to the point,the desire to fix things, then older car ownership becomes a much more acceptable proposition.
Yes, parts will always need replacing but at least for the most part, it is only parts that one needs to be funded as labour costs if done yourself are free, and for many jobs that is a big proportion of a garage bill.
If didn't have the inclination and ability, I'd have parted company with my old bus 5 years ago.

Postman Kev from parcel force delivered a car package from demon tweaks if the shape of some very lovely Bilstien B8s, can't wait to get them fitted.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper, Fully, Jamsmoo and 1 other person
Happy days Alex. :thumbs up:

You will notice the difference within a mile or so, they are so much better than the OE dampers, well the OE dampers are like sticks in operation compared to the Bilsteins.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper and Jamsmoo
If you haven’t already done them I’d definitely recommend having some new front strut mounts ready ,I didn’t and ended up doing the job twice
Mine were squished and spilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy days Alex. :thumbs up:

You will notice the difference within a mile or so, they are so much better than the OE dampers, well the OE dampers are like sticks in operation compared to the Bilsteins.
And my oem ones have been shot for a while too me thinks. Just have to wait and see.

The febi engine mounts arrived too, so will be back to a smooth driving experience shortly

Alex

Had a quote to wrap the brightwork around windows and roof rails, £230 all in, seems a fair price, probably going with gloss black around the windows and satin roof rails.
I suppose the longevity of wrap on the rails maybe questionable though compared to powder coating.

I think I'll go for it . :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Had a quote to wrap the brightwork around windows and roof rails, £230 all in, seems a fair price, probably going with gloss black around the windows and satin roof rails.
I suppose the longevity of wrap on the rails maybe questionable though compared to powder coating.

I think I'll go for it . :thumbs up:
Wrapping the chrome made a huge difference on my avant Rob, hasn't lasted that well tho unfortunately, its now peeling on the edges, but it does look bob on

Popped vcds on the old bus this evening to clear the airbag light ive been meaning to do after disconnecting the battery, removing the glovebox and seat the other weekend. All is no well again apart from that pesky HVAC recirculation flap that wont clear.

Anyhoo booking in for the MOT tomorrow at half 1, fingers crossed she passes with no advisories.

Alex

How long has it lasted, was it done by a company?
I'm also getting a quote for them to be wet painted, probably a lot more but maybe a better long term option as there have been several guys saying the wrapping hasn't lasted long.

I'm also getting a quote for them to be wet painted, probably a lot more but maybe a better long term option as there have been several guys saying the wrapping hasn't lasted long.
Hi Rob,
I would like mine done as well as some of my door chrome is changing colour.
I was hoping wrap was a good option, but now it looms like painting is a better option.
I guess changing to the later black trim is not an option.

Just to add I’ve been given a 5 year warranty by the wrapping company
I was dubious about wrapping but with that to fall back on I went for it
They were actually wrapping Adam peetys Tesla when I got the quote and had some real top end motors in so hopefully their good to their word

Got another years motoring on the old bus today. Clean bill of health and was even complimented on the BBK too!

That's good news Alex, when you get a good clean MOT pass it makes all the work really worth the effort.:yahoo:
Makes it worth keeping for a bit longer too.:icon thumright:

That's good news Alex, when you get a good clean MOT pass it makes all the work really worth the effort.:yahoo:
Makes it worth keeping for a bit longer too.:icon thumright:
Thats very true, surprising what it can do for the mind, the car drove better on the way home than it did when i dropped it off!:tearsofjoy:

Mind over matter sometimes. :icon thumright:

Fitted the B8's yet?
Not yet Rob, seems everything is against me at the moment. Covid outbreaks at work and home, aswell as an occupied ramp are making things tricky at the mo, probably be a job for the new year now.

Best of luck when you do get into it.
Have a good one. :icon thumright:

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Hi Rob,
I would like mine done as well as some of my door chrome is changing colour.
I was hoping wrap was a good option, but now it looms like painting is a better option.
I guess changing to the later black trim is not an option.
Parts are available in satin black according to parts but prices, well don't even go there.:sob:
I had a price for wet painting and that was bonkers as well.
looks like wrap is the only real easy and sensibly priced option, I just have reservations on its longevity, especially hot summer with increasing UV levels on thin wrap materials.

Parts are available in satin black according to parts but prices, well don't even go there.:sob:
I had a price for wet painting and that was bonkers as well.
looks like wrap is the only real easy and sensibly priced option, I just have reservations on its longevity, especially hot summer with increasing UV levels on thin wrap materials.
What was the the wet painting price rob and did it include removing parts? If you dont mind me asking

They quoted me £450, I don't think it involved removing any bits either and at that price I didn't really push the subject to be honest.
I got the impression it was a fiddly job and they just wanted to price it high as they didn't want the job so i'd give it a miss, it worked ...lol

From memory I don't think replacing the trims is a user-friendly exercise, the parts are available at a cost, normal Audi sky-high prices then, but replacing can be a bit of a pain.

Updated 320 drilled discs ordered ( forgot to pick them up ) and new pads so next week swap over the 345mm discs and s4 callipers that are on the car

I may need to search youtube for any videos on replacing the trims..

Reactions: WOMBLERULZ
On a plus note today, had a quick run out in the old bus and it has got a definite growl back again, it used have a nice angry bark with the 034 HFC and I missed that when going back to the OE cat.
But now with the 3" decat it has that angry growl back plus a bit more, fine when just pootling around but open the taps and you know it's coming.:yes:

Reactions: Fully and WOMBLERULZ
From memory I don't think replacing the trims is a user-friendly exercise, the parts are available at a cost, normal Audi sky-high prices then, but replacing can be a bit of a pain.
I just watched a YouTube video, a guy replacing the chrome trim on a B7 S4 with black trim, forget about doing that,
so much work and you have to take rear quarter glass out as well.
I hate to think how much the parts cost, cheaper to get it wrapped or paint it yourself with rattle cans.

Your probably right eith the pricing there, it would be a pita of a job especially to paint them on the car.

I've looked into removing them for when i do my respray and the door tops need removing and the long trim over the top is riveted in place.

Maybe worth looking into wet paint with an airbrush, much more controlled application so less masking up, I'm open to any option to be honest as long as it lasts more than a couple of years.