What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

I used to run a Data Encryption & Recovery for mission critical NAS / SAN systems business, but seems a bit tame compared to you Boff...:thumbs up:

Carbon Clean
Runner Flap Delete
And a DTM door trim badge on the boot
3803EFD0 2DE7 4715 B097 D97620E9CD5C

AAD29402 DD51 4143 8AAA BE5589E5D547

9C093BB5 F953 4B72 AFF6 031B23600024

340D3F5E CAC8 4ECF B6C6 367CD6F6C5F8

2DA825C8 A0EA 435C B77A F52F781BCDF0

4F36AFEE EEE8 43A3 AC8D 26A18D9D6C4A

B691C207 60A4 4B45 9FB6 D77630217C4E

4D42CC1F 57B5 45D8 A1A8 9B7A99A4673A

0DC39938 C0C8 4291 9B54 CECF389825D3

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, AvantMike, boffin486 and 2 others
Looks a lot better now:icon thumright:, how long to do the decoke and what parts did you need.

Looks a lot better now:icon thumright:, how long to do the decoke and what parts did you need.

All in all just under 4 hours, parts needed are injector repair set x4, throttle and manifold seal. I used a shot blast gun and around 1.5kg of walnut grit (i got 3kg of ebay for £21 all in).

also a runner delete kit but i now have active/static fault for intake motor end stop so think i need it coding out unless there is a plug and play resistor for the intake motor connector.

let us know how it works out chap, i've seen a few reports that suggest that with the flap delete it causes a lumpy idle when cold and throttle can be poor until engine is fully warmed up, any thoughts.

I used to run a Data Encryption & Recovery for mission critical NAS / SAN systems business, but seems a bit tame compared to you Boff...:thumbs up:

Its all old hat :hi:now though.........
I fix PCs/printers & associated hardware for the NHS now. Theres ALWAYS something broken somewhere!

Sorry guys - I'm not entirely sure what a Runner Flap delete does? What benefit does it have?

Not really sure the delete has much noticeable impact on normal or midly tuned 2.0tfsi's, probably more for the stage 2+ and beyond motors after a remap.

The Runner Flap Delete (RFD) is designed to eliminate airflow restrictions within the factory intake manifold. This product is for anyone looking to maximise performance on highly tuned engines.

The runner flaps are individual plates, much like a throttle body flap, located within the intake manifold runners. Unfortunately even when opened to the maximum position, the flaps still represent an airflow restriction .

Simply removing the runner flaps can cause adverse running conditions during cold start. However through proper ECU recalibration, software stages to eliminate this harsh running condition.

OK, so no advantage with a standard BUL TFSi then.
On a similar principle, I remember following the David Izzard (anyone remember him?) recommended mod for SU carbs of 'razor blading' the edges of the throttle butterfly as well as smoothing the spindle to maximise airflow. Not sure if it really made much difference but, as a young buck teenager howling around the highways & byways in my Mk1 Mini - I was all for it!
So, anything that does work & is simple to do? How long is a piece of string........

Last edited:
Nothing is straight forward with audi , nor easy..well a few things maybe like 12v blanking plugs:yes:

Reactions: boffin486
OK, so no advantage with a standard BUL TFSi then.
On a similar principle, I remember following the David Izzard (anyone remember him?) recommended mod for SU carbs of 'razor blading' the edges of the throttle butterfly as well as smoothing the spindle to maximise airflow. Not sure if it really made much difference but, as a young buck teenager, I was all for it!
So, anything that does work & is simple to do? How long is a piece of string........

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the BUL engine code fitment question.
So many guys say its the same engine as in the non special editions2.0tfsi , but i'm not convinced.
If it was just a case of a different ecu map then why not just use the same tfsi engine with a different ecu map, but the BUL is only fitted to the B7 DTM & 2.0tfsi special edition, nothing else that I am aware of, why unless it is different in numerous ways.
I'm on a mission to get to the bottom of this question.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Errrrrrrr....... Kinda looks like you did this with the Head on the car? How did you stop the blast medium getting places it shouldn't?
It require a lot of care and plugging up of holes you don't want nasty stuff going down.
One also needs to rotate the engine to ensure valves are fully closed in each cylinder before getting heavy with scrappers and blasting media.

So many guys say its the same engine as in the non special editions2.0tfsi , but i'm not convinced.
If it was just a case of a different ecu map then why not just use the same tfsi engine with a different ecu map, but the BUL is only fitted to the B7 DTM & 2.0tfsi special edition, nothing else that I am aware of, why unless it is different in numerous ways.

Unless it is purely an ecu map thats different from the 200hp 2.0tfsi. Could just make it easier and more accurate to identify an engine type

The block should be exactly the same but things that might be different might be pistons and/or rods. The head might be slightly different but it’s doubtful. The crank should be the same until you get to automatic transmissions which should be different between manuals and automatics. As you stated the BUL got a bump in mapping straight out the door and it’s associated with a trim package possibly but other than that I could take your engine and throw all my parts in it and it would function 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are parts that are BUL specific though Alex , also when audi had my old bus in under warranty they needed parts from germany that were not a stock item and were specific to the BUL, sounds odd but maybe something in it.

The block should be exactly the same but things that might be different might be pistons and/or rods. The head might be slightly different but it’s doubtful. The crank should be the same until you get to automatic transmissions which should be different between manuals and automatics. As you stated the BUL got a bump in mapping straight out the door and it’s associated with a trim package possibly but other than that I could take your engine and throw all my parts in it and it would function 100%.

Compression ratio is different I know that to start with.

Looks like a new project about to commence, just too many on the go at the moment aswell, well something to do over the dark winter months.:yes:

I'm allways on a mission chap, life would be a bit boring otherwise.:yes:

Parts for my 345mm S4 brake upgrade have arrived. Was going to go for 4 pot Q5 Brembos as they’re bolt on but found some S4 carriers for a steal so couldn’t argue really.

going to order Ferodo pads tonight then hopefully get it all fitted at the weekend.

Attachments

• 166F8A8A-F258-43C8-AF9A-2E1CA73D9BB0.jpeg
    166F8A8A-F258-43C8-AF9A-2E1CA73D9BB0.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: Stanningtonglen, Bobbytea and Sidrick
Being a bit of a magpie with alloys I've Found some nice new shinney alloys to stick on the old bus.

Force-5-Black-MF-3.jpg

Force-5-Black-MF-1.jpg

Reactions: Stanningtonglen
Parts for my 345mm S4 brake upgrade have arrived. Was going to go for 4 pot Q5 Brembos as they’re bolt on but found some S4 carriers for a steal so couldn’t argue really.

going to order Ferodo pads tonight then hopefully get it all fitted at the weekend.

I did the same thing! Great stopping power now. You going for braided hoses too?

Being a bit of a magpie with alloys I've Found some nice new shinney alloys to stick on the old bus.

Force-5-Black-MF-3.jpg

Force-5-Black-MF-1.jpg

Well that plan went straight out the window, no longer any to be found as they are an old model...blast it.

Inovit Force 5 , spoke with a lot of dealers and no longer available but as you say the torque's are , not so keen on them though.

Took a deposit :bye:

IMG 8792w

Reactions: THQuattro and boffin486
I did the same thing! Great stopping power now. You going for braided hoses too?

Not at the moment no, I need to replace discs as mine are rotten, managed to find the carriers for £40 delivered so nice budget upgrade. was going to go for Q5 Brembo 4 pots

Finally removed the replacement rear wiper motor (that has only been on since June) and blanked the hole in the rear windscreen
Have to say that the fault seems to be washer water everywhere and managed to get into the motor therefore shorting out somewhere leading to the wiper being constantly on sometimes, but randomly switching itself on, but I haven't yet taken the time to find out where it's leaking from.
Just going to let it dry out, then have another looksee over Christmas.

And today I finally got round to upgrading my external power interface socket or in English, stuck a trendy blanking plug into the cigar lighter...:yahoo:
Cigar1