What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Fitted the replacement rear spring top and bottom rubber bungs , it has made a small difference and the old ones were a bit flat to be honest, not 100% sure it was worth the time and effort though for the small gain, still its more worn parts replaced which is the most important thing. :icon thumright:

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
For the last few days to a week i've noticed my car has seemed a bit sluggish and less responsive compared to normal.
Today I decided to investigate it a little and took a look under the bonnet, and removed the engine cover.
After removing the engine cover, I noticed that there was oil seeping from around the EGR and looking closer that the bolt from underneath where the yellow arrow is pointing wasn't there.
The missing bolt was luckily sat where the green arrow is pointed.

SFVuiYg.jpg

I tried putting the bolt back in but the threads in the inlet manifold had sheered, so i went and purchased some longer M6 bolts and nuts.
After lots of trying to squeeze a big hand in small awkward spaces I eventually got the nut and bolt in place and fitted (dropped many a times).
I also gave the area a bit of a clean around to see if it leaks in a few days time (you can see the little nut now too)

vNtmSAj.jpg

So problem fixed (I hope) i decided to do a bit of cosmetic.
Old number plates.

vjvPKCZ.jpg

QVt1USQ.jpg

Replaced with new 3D gel tinted number plates and surrounds.

XIoGxUo.jpg

YoBSR1m.jpg

It's hard to see that they're tinted via picture, but they're darker and look better when you see them in person IMO.

Reactions: Jamsmoo
Calipers all stripped and new seal kits have arrived, just waiting on two new pistons now.
Had a real fight getting the link pipes off due to the previous powder coating being so thick, almost welded the the pipe joint on. :shrug: , still off in the end and without damage, rule no1 , never powder coat calipers with any removalable fitting left on....its a nightmare later on especially with things like link pipes etc and at £40 a side just bonkers.
I've been struck by the sensible hat again caliper colorwise , going something very bland instead.:whistle2:, just a case of powder coat again or wet paint .
IMG 3459
IMG 3460

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamsmoo, Pie-eyedpiper and Sidrick
It is indeedy, very satifying too, spent all days stripping them back to bare metal.
Yes i could have paid them to be stripped but why not save myself some pounds on that bit and it covers the cost of the seal kits. :yes::thumbs up:

I like yellow but it just seems to jump out at you to much..lol, getting a little bored of Red , not keen on blue etc .
So going something really bland now but it may work really well with my current wheel/bodywork color scheme.
I'm not using e-tech paint but the color itself looks kinda great .

[mention]I'm Just Rob. [/mention] Why not go for a lotus ‘John player special’ look and try gold on black. Or a metallic bronze colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Rob, I'll have some RS4 8 pots for sale shortly so don't spend too much on yours ,

Sent from my M2007J17G using Forum Fiend v1.4.0.

• Wow
Reactions: Fully
Fitted the replacement rear spring top and bottom rubber bungs , it has made a small difference and the old ones were a bit flat to be honest, not 100% sure it was worth the time and effort though for the small gain, still its more worn parts replaced which is the most important thing. :icon thumright:

Was it a subframe lower job, and a severe wiggle to get them in?

f1ebf038eb6487b27617d8e723e4f889.jpg

Nipped to a mates house who has the same mtms as me but in black ..just to see ,not a fan of black wheels ,but that doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would ..still waiting on the powder coaters to get my black roof bars done

Reactions: Ricky Burrows, tr7 and Charlie Farley
Mundane job - changed fuel filter. bit of a fiddle but needed doing, can't remember when it was last done, years ago.
Loads of crud came out the old filter, seems to idle smoother now.

painted the 18z's , it didnt turn out well. :scared2:

back to the drawing board on color scheme.

i'll wack up a pic in the morning, really not happy with finish and even worse they look pants too.....

its going to be stripper time again :sob:

There is a allways a slim chance they will look better in the morning, its going to be very slim indeedy, i think a miracle is required to be honest.

Reactions: Donfero
There is a allways a slim chance they will look better in the morning, its going to be very slim indeedy, i think a miracle is required to be honest.
They'll probably look better after a few beers

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

A new day and the 18z's looked a bit better this morning so I've decided to leave them as is and re-assembled them, i did order a pair of new link pipes but the original are not to bad, i might cancel the new pipes and save myself £90.
Anyway, not one of my better projects color wise but makes a change from the normal red , blue or yellow.
new Brembo decals should be Tuesday so they will change the look a bit more aswell.
Abc30
Abc31

Reactions: Bobbytea, Jamsmoo and i3oricua
A new day and the 18z's looked a bit better this morning so I've decided to leave them as is and re-assembled them, i did order a pair of new link pipes but the original are not to bad, i might cancel the new pipes and save myself £90.
Anyway, not one of my better projects color wise but makes a change from the normal red , blue or yellow.
new Brembo decals should be Tuesday so they will change the look a bit more aswell.
View attachment 242074View attachment 242075
Are you nuts Rob? That's a great color choice. They look amazing.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Thanks Edgar, it's supposed to be copper, but I'm not convinced it is but it's different which is my current approach.

What I noticed today is that they are not the same 18z's that I have on my old bus at the moment.
These are Porsche Cayenne units, my red ones on the old bus were lambo ones so Audi fitment.
It's not a massive difference, there is a web on the front bottom corner on the red ones and it's missing on the cayenne ones, pistons sizes are the same but I know some 18Z's do have different sizes of pistons.
Still they still work the same..lol

They look well Rob! Look to have a good finish.
Was that done with a brush? Which paint did you use?

Mike

View attachment 242074View attachment 242075
Thats a fine job.. they look awesome!!

They look well Rob! Look to have a good finish.
Was that done with a brush? Which paint did you use?

Mike
I had a few quotes for powder coating which were silly money so decided to play safe and go wet paint , worse case if it went tits up it would be easier and less costly to change colors.
It's e-tech caliper paint, i have used it before and found it lasted really well so though i'd give it a go again.
It's brush finish but in this color but brush on is a deffinate nono, it came out really rubbish, all streaky and pants basically.
I have a compressor and paint gun so poured the tin into the gun and gave it a spray coat , came out really well compared to the first attempt, still not what i'd like finish wise but it will suffice.
That e-tech paint is a bit thick for spray application from the tin, I was going to thin it down but not sure it would have worked out as good.
I think I paid £19 for the paint kit and used half the tin so enough to do the back now, cheapest powder coat quote was £60 , bit of a no brainer to be honest.
The next time i do caliper painting I will just use the sprayer.

Rob

Reactions: mikep99
I'm still researching why the difference in the 18Z caliper bodies , i can't see any real reason for the extra bit of casting , must be a reason for it though.
It's on the red ones but not the copper ones.

Brembo10
Brembo31

I'm still researching why the difference in the 18Z caliper bodies , i can't see any real reason for the extra bit of casting , must be a reason for it though.
It's on the red ones but not the copper ones.

View attachment 242076View attachment 242077
Probably just to differentiate between the Porsche and the other, or maybe from a different year and design..

I've been doing a final costing to fit one of these sets to my TT, on reflection I think I may just sell the red set now and keep the rebuilt Copper ones.

Also expecting some nice goodies from across the pond very soon now.
The old bus is getting some attention at the moment. :yahoo:

Reactions: Jamsmoo
f1ebf038eb6487b27617d8e723e4f889.jpg

Nipped to a mates house who has the same mtms as me but in black ..just to see ,not a fan of black wheels ,but that doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would ..still waiting on the powder coaters to get my black roof bars done
Are they 19" ?
,And the ride height looks spot on James. :icon thumright:

Nearly all the other sections have one of these threads and I can't find one on our section so thought I'd start us off.

Over the last few days I've done

New gear knob
New dv
New pcv valve
New pcv gasket
New n80
Cleaned TB and new gasket
New rear brakes
Painted all brake calipers and dust guards.
New pollen filter.

View attachment 80136
View attachment 80137
View attachment 80138
View attachment 80139
View attachment 80140
View attachment 80141
View attachment 80142

So what you lot been upto?
new double cup holder 3d printed

Attachments

• IMG_20210817_203937.jpg
    IMG_20210817_203937.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
e276aaff419a0ef89bbd9f4de029e3e1.jpg

Scooped up my roof bars from the powder coaters

Reactions: Rob Avant, tr7, Fully and 1 other person
Had a few hours on the old bus this afternoon.
So off with the old red 18z's and on with the new ( well refurbed) copper 18z's , very straight forward job and all seems to work spot on.
brake pedal feels fine but I'll give it a week and then just check for any residual air with a bleed .

I wasn't too sure how they would look on the old bus but i kinda think they look really good now, a nice change form the normal colors.
IMG 3555 3

Last edited:
Reactions: AvantAlexB7, Rob Avant, Pie-eyedpiper and 5 others
Had a few hours on the old bus this afternoon.
So off with the old red 18z's and on with the new ( well refurbed) copper 18z's , very straight forward job and all seems to work spot on.
brake pedal feels fine but I'll give it week and then just check for any residual air with a bleed .

I wasn't too sure how they would look on the old bus but i kinda think they look really good now, a nice change form the normal colors.View attachment 242412

Look mint wheels too

Not exactly today but yesterday i fitted this lot to the DTM.

5C904ACA 77B0 4ACE A0D6 0270DB38B505

Brake pedal is so much firmer and the brakes responsiveness is so much better, also the H&R 10mm spacers all round makes the car feel so much better planted too. Had to shave down the PW Motorsport bolts as they hit the 350mm A45 AMG discs, i also opted for a washer nut over the ‘squish’ nuts supplied by PW motorsport they are a genuine 21mm nut used on front shock absorbers with threadlock on the last threads.

Part list of bits used:-

H&R Trak+ (10MM) - 55571-10A
RS4 Hose - HEL - AUD-4-315
PW Motorsport bolts
Pad sensors - 8R0 615 121 A
Calipers - Porsche 18Z with nipples and cross over pipes swapped round.
RS4 brackets - 8E0615133G and 8E0615134G
Fitting kit - PFK503
Pads - Brembo - P 85 065
Disc - Brembo - 09.B913.11 (CB milled to 68mm)

All in all went pretty well just had to cut the head off a bolt to use as a centre lug for the disc/spacer/wheel will order a proper one for future repairs the brake line routing was a doddle with the aid of the RS4 brackets.

A2D52372 75CF 412C 9F0D 5521D048C3DF

and the finished product.

9CC35737 81D4 457E BB27 A8C617C02761

5DBB6391 29CE 4E3A 814D A85B0AB2A929

and after a quick wash

66CFBFC5 50ED 4591 9899 29710A87A165

Next job is B7 S4 300mm rear upgrade then onto front/rear bushes and suspension.

Reactions: boffin486, Rob Avant, Jamsmoo and 5 others