What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Maybe worth looking into wet paint with an airbrush, much more controlled application so less masking up, I'm open to any option to be honest as long as it lasts more than a couple of years.
The biggest issue you'll face rob would be adhesion. A chrome surface can be tricky to prep to accept paint. I remember when i repaired and repainted the chrome grille surround, it took some serious prep work to key the chromed surface.

If you were wanting the do the roof bars too and if you actually fit cross bars from time to time, powdercoating is a good hard wearing option. My cross vars haven't marked my rails at all but then again the glossy finish isn't as good as i would like. Seems to be swings and round abouts.

As i said, hopefully in the new year I'll be starting the cosmetic work on my bus, and a proper de chrome is on the list so I'll let you know how i get on.

Alex

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Ok then chaps, I've had a chat with a few guys on this whole door/window trim issue and it would appear that there are only two viable options and only one that will have good longevity.
The best plan is to replace the trims with OE items and it will outlast any other method of colour/finish available.
Sadly that's one plan that won't be happening, so the next best option is to get them wrapped, preferably in a top-spec wrap product that has good heat resistive properties and also a high level of UV resistance as these two are the most damaging to vinyl wrap products.
So wrapping it must be then, I think I'd need to see in the flesh what brand and spec of wrap is being used first before committing to it being applied.

Maybe if I was moving the car on in a year or so I'd just do it and not worry about the longevity of the product and how it will look 2 years time, but as I have no plan to be parting company with it for the foreseeable future, I'd prefer it being done to a decent quality level.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Quick job tonight, took this one out.

CyNE6oN.jpg

Put in this one.

64nM2Xx.jpg

4qKwhgd.jpg

Reactions: tr7
looks much better chap. :yes:
If want to change the fish scale ally trim to brushed ally, i have a set spare.

Oh dear, that's not ideal.
definitely not.
i drive and the coil light will start flashing and i have no boost.
turn the key off and on and it works again.
Gonna check fuses and stuff 1st, then if i can't see any problems there, i'll go on a road trip to my mates garage for him to diagnose it.

definitely not.
i drive and the coil light will start flashing and i have no boost.
turn the key off and on and it works again.
Gonna check fuses and stuff 1st, then if i can't see any problems there, i'll go on a road trip to my mates garage for him to diagnose it.

Isn't the coil light flashing something to do with the DPF needing a regen?

Didn't stop at the intersection, my fault. Everyone is fine, its an Audi...

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

I just watched a YouTube video, a guy replacing the chrome trim on a B7 S4 with black trim, forget about doing that,
so much work and you have to take rear quarter glass out as well.
I hate to think how much the parts cost, cheaper to get it wrapped or paint it yourself with rattle cans.

Vinyl wrap much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have given up trying to find any really suitable long term solution now.
Cost is the major factor to be honest , painting is less than ideal , so that only really leaves replacing with new black OE items and that's just not practical, so it looks to be a wrapping job then.
I've booked it in for mid jan and I'll see how it holds up and go from there .

Reactions: Jamsmoo
Dropped some bits of at the trusty paint shop/powder coaters ,inc some recently purchased oe a4 b7 roof bars that need a bit of tidying..excited for new year

Just made a few purchases for the old bus, nothing special though but maybe endup something nice.

I've been on the lookout for an rs4 gearlever/gaiter assembly for a while , just happened to stumble across one with another rs4 fbsw .
had to have them both for projects on the old bus.

Reactions: Fully
Looks like another project on my plate..lol
Collected my bargain buy rs4 fbsw and gear lever/ gaiter and it may be beyond restoring in its original format.
Both are Alcantara trimmed and both a bit grubby, the gear level will clean up pretty well, never going to new but a big improvement.
The steering wheel maybe more of a challenge, probably not worth the effort given I'm changing the trim but I think I need to have a go all the same.
I don't plan on keeping them as original just want to tidy them up whilst I contemplate the best upgrade route trim wise.
As I only paid silly cheap money for them together its not such a big deal to just tinker around with them and see how they turn out.

Any recommendations on products to tackle said items.
IMG 4234
IMG 4241

Rob

My initial thoughts were to redo.
The top section in dark grey Alcantara.
Left / Right sections in Dark Grey punched leather.
Silver trim sections , get them carbon dipped.

View attachment 247918

What about laying up forged carbon skin on the silver parts? With a Matt/satin lacquer.

Or that, yes.
I'm keeping an open mind on it really, if it turnouts good it will be in the bus and the bus one will be put in the TT.
Either way, there will be one in each in differing guises. :thumbs up:

8b4f4c32c1d3e12d8a1ea23780318628.jpg

398d11ff64a6e8f663212f4d61dad64e.jpg

304c3ee11e439aba5fe8ba63f8e6416e.jpg

8d70c1afb7ab5b78f9c65e1c472c84ce.jpg

4dccad27a983df7ccef77cd1880ec877.jpg

Well this had been a long time coming… finally had a day free that wasn’t p’ing it down so I could change over my wing.

Gave her a nice spit shine wash too.

8b4f4c32c1d3e12d8a1ea23780318628.jpg

398d11ff64a6e8f663212f4d61dad64e.jpg

304c3ee11e439aba5fe8ba63f8e6416e.jpg

8d70c1afb7ab5b78f9c65e1c472c84ce.jpg

4dccad27a983df7ccef77cd1880ec877.jpg

Well this had been a long time coming… finally had a day free that wasn’t p’ing it down so I could change over my wing.

Gave her a nice spit shine wash too.

Looks so much better now. :thumbs up:

Thanks Rob! Yeah the poor old girl gets a hard life I’m an Electrician, she’s just tipped over 120k and is pretty much a work van… has been for the last 3 years - one of the fastest vans in the world mind. Couldn’t face sitting in a caddy all day again.

View attachment 247918
Carbon dipping the silver trims is off the menu ,just bonkers price for a small item.

Does anyone have experience of carbon wrap materials, are they worth a go.
Seen some 6D products on amazon, not used it before is it ok.

Carbon dipping the silver trims is off the menu ,just bonkers price for a small item.

Hi Rob,

I've wrapped a few things in carbon and never been happy with it to be honest.
The carbon wrap is thicker than say a normal satin black wrap so is more difficult to get it right.
Although saying that, the amount you'd need to wrap the silver bits on the steering wheel would be minimal so only cost a few quid.
And if it didn't work out, take it off and have a rethink.

HTH
Mike

I’ve just bought all of the materials for forged carbon skinning, they were delivered last week - I’m gonna do some trial pieces for the Meg interior, I’ll DM you some photos when I’ve completed it matey.

I've done it in the past Rob and it's turned out well on a few pieces. You'll want to use some light heat when applying it and make sure to cut a big enough piece that it wraps around the edges and onto the back a little bit so the material grabs on well. Don't pull to hard when you apply the heat as you can overstretch and distort the material.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

A slightly more irritating problem has arisen today.
The blower vents are not functioning on the passenger side, well to the screen that is so it won't demist.

Probably going to be a glovebox out session to see what's occurring or not as the case is at present.

always something to fix..

A slightly more irritating problem has arisen today.
The blower vents are not functioning on the passenger side, well to the screen that is so it won't demist.

Probably going to be a glovebox out session to see what's occurring or not as the case is at present.

always something to fix..
Sound likely to be a stuck flap motor Rob. Ive had a intake flap fault for ages.

It wouldn't be a problem normally but with the cold and damp weather demisting can be a right pain in the bum.
From memory Rob, once the the glove box is out there's relatively decent access to all of the flap motors. Just another job like you say!

From memory Rob, once the the glove box is out there's relatively decent access to all of the flap motors. Just another job like you say!
I think it probably is the motors, I used to hear things moving etc behind the dash but it's just quiet now.

I may have a look on Saturday , get a better idea on what failed so I can get the replacement organised.

Screenshot 20220106 201716
Todays job for me, dead easy swap. £12 on eBay (+P&P) bout an hour all in