What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

These jobs may seem to some small but they are important and niggle you during the night. It's part of the 'joy' of B7 ownership Rob. This year I have so far done:
Complete Air con and heater overhaul
2 new wings plus selective respray.
Brakes, pads.
Front tyres.
Engine covers a la B6.
Serviced twice, complete with new fuel/oil/air/pollen/filter.
As well as the above oil pump and cambelt.

I worry still about that snub mount too.

Crazy I know, ha ha.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and tr7
Just to say about the hex key above, for all you oil burners out there: You can see from the wear that not only does it round off in the the keyway but clearly within the oil pump itself, demonstrated by the lower almost equal wear, in the shaft. Which means that the torsional forces of pumping that oil, take it's toil too (especially if service intervals are poor). The KMB kit only replaces the hex key + new balance shaft with hardened keyway. KMB say specifically that the success of their kits is not down to the hardness of the metal, though they are better in that regard certainly than the factory, but in the accuracy of their machining.

The old balance shaft/keyway from my car shows very little wear and indeed the old key doesn't slip either, even with that wear. You would think therefore from that picture that it might be wise to change the pump too - I have even seen some East European shops completely rebuild the entire cassette, with balance shaft bearings and all. But I have never heard of a KMB kit fail and they offer a lifetime guarantee.

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
Spent a few hours sorting out a replacement rear tyre.

Picked up a less than ideal friend in my rear nearside tyre late yesterday afternoon.
It was 5.15 before I noticed the tyre was allmost flat, a quick inflate and down to my local chaps to see if they could fit in a repair before the close of work.
luckily they could until they found the source of the leak.
IMG 5331
IMG 5332

not repairable they informed me, arghhh, the stuff on our roads today is just out of order, that's a fair old chunk of steel jammed in.
they wacked in some more air to get me home as no similar tyres in stock either, what a waste of a good tyre with over 50% tread still left.

Anyway, found my old 19" project rim with a same spec good tyre on it, had them swap over tyres this morning, and problem was solved for a few days at least.
So I'll be needing a new Goodyear eagle F1 now, that's going to cost £130 ish.
Not a good end to the week at all.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: B7Tourer and Fully
These jobs may seem to some small but they are important and niggle you during the night. It's part of the 'joy' of B7 ownership Rob. This year I have so far done:
Complete Air con and heater overhaul
2 new wings plus selective respray.
Brakes, pads.
Front tyres.
Engine covers a la B6.
Serviced twice, complete with new fuel/oil/air/pollen/filter.
As well as the above oil pump and cambelt.

I worry still about that snub mount too.

Crazy I know, ha ha.
A6 snub mount bung is very good solution to the mickey mouse foam B7 item without going too much firmer sports ones.
I fitted one years ago and its been spot on since.

Reactions: tr7 and B7Tourer
A6 snub mount bung is very good solution to the mickey mouse foam B7 item without going too much firmer sports ones.
I fitted one years ago and its been spot on since.
What was the main improvement you noticed Rob? My clutch changes are smooth but very occasionally I get a bit of judder in 1st on take off only. I've put it down to lower torque on the 140s, in standard tune, but I also think the snub mount may aid this?

Sorry to hear about the the tyre. I have a nail in one of my front new Michelin Cross Climates (only note on the MOT pass) and a very slow deflating on the rear offside (Michelin Sport, still plenty of tread) that I think is a rim issue, though all wheel were shot blasted, refinished and powder coated 3 months ago. I'm waiting till I change them for new though, since it's about 4lb of pressure (from 35 psi, I set each week).

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I've had the A6 bung fitted for so long now that I would be struggling to remember the improvement, its just the norm for me now really.
If I recall at the time it was to address the less than ideal foam A4 bung that had disintegrated a fair bit, the performance items were good but most owners were of the view that they were a bit too stiff, but the A6 was a good compromise as it was better than the a4 but not as hard or costly as the aftermarket bungs.

when use in conjunction with some good waterproof grease it has been spot on.:thumbs up:

Todays change was on the front end.
Before

dGU9uMl.jpg

During

PjXG8Tp.jpg

After

18aI3pU.jpg

After different angle

GMD107U.jpg

After, side lights on

5UIHoBT.jpg

After, Main beam

3anoikl.jpg

After, Full beam

P2oT56L.jpg

Also changed the AC pressure sensor whilst i had the bumper down, but ECO light still won't go off :wtf::sulkiness::sob::rage:.
Lights look good though imo :laughing::tongueclosed:

Spent a few hours sorting out a replacement rear tyre.

Picked up a less than ideal friend in my rear nearside tyre late yesterday afternoon.
It was 5.15 before I noticed the tyre was allmost flat, a quick inflate and down to my local chaps to see if they could fit in a repair before the close of work.
luckily they could until they found the source of the leak.
View attachment 257055View attachment 257056

not repairable they informed me, arghhh, the stuff on our roads today is just out of order, that's a fair old chunk of steel jammed in.
they wacked in some more air to get me home as no similar tyres in stock either, what a waste of a good tyre with over 50% tread still left.

Anyway, found my old 19" project rim with a same spec good tyre on it, had them swap over tyres this morning, and problem was solved for a few days at least.
So I'll be needing a new Goodyear eagle F1 now, that's going to cost £130 ish.
Not a good end to the week at all.
I've got two matching Eagle F1's for sale Rob but they are RunFlats :expressionless:

Just seen your advert, too wide for my bus, thanks for the offer though.:icon thumright:

Had some better news on the new alloys front this afternoon.
Delivery time has shortened a lot so hopefully will have them wed next week. :yahoo:

weather i can sell the current OZ's in the current economic climate remains to be seen, if not i'll keep hold of them for another project.

LM's in silver, best colour for a black bus really.

View attachment 256971
I might be interested in your old wheels Rob… DM me when you’re ready

Been a quiet month or so on my old barge, just the weekly washes and enjoying it. It's still on a diet from my wallet :laughing: Touch wood no major issues with it recently, other than the A/C not working, less than ideal with the weather we've had as of late. I'm fairly sure it's my fault thought, it's holding pressure and the ECU is telling the compressor to come on, but the clutch isn't engaging. It worked up until I put a new compressor clutch on it a few months back, as the original one was disintegrating and making a racket (although still working...). It was cold at the time, so I assumed it was fine after it was done, but alas it seems I did not check it thoroughly enough. My suspicion is the compressor clutch I got was the wrong one... Ah well, the to-do list was looking a little empty anyhow!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and tr7
Been a quiet month or so on my old barge, just the weekly washes and enjoying it. It's still on a diet from my wallet :laughing: Touch wood no major issues with it recently, other than the A/C not working, less than ideal with the weather we've had as of late. I'm fairly sure it's my fault thought, it's holding pressure and the ECU is telling the compressor to come on, but the clutch isn't engaging. It worked up until I put a new compressor clutch on it a few months back, as the original one was disintegrating and making a racket (although still working...). It was cold at the time, so I assumed it was fine after it was done, but alas it seems I did not check it thoroughly enough. My suspicion is the compressor clutch I got was the wrong one... Ah well, the to-do list was looking a little empty anyhow!
Always something to do. :icon thumright:

Always something to do. :icon thumright:
Certainly is :sweatsmile: Also made some enquiries today about my front wings. On the edge of the inner lips (where the arch liners tuck under), there is a few bubbles of rust, but hasn't made it's way round onto the outer facing section of the wing. Hoping they can just wire wheel the inner lip down, etch prime, stone chip and paint that section so it's all sealed up again, then I will be able to keep the factory paint on the outer facing part of the wing so will stay a perfect colour match.

Best pics I could get, looks worse than it is as the phone is literally sitting on the tire to take these pics lol:

Screenshot 2022 07 26 at 204615

Screenshot 2022 07 26 at 204527

Screenshot 2022 07 26 at 204558

It's the only spots of rust on the car so keen to get these sorted.

Looking forward to seeing the new wheels fitted Rob :thumbs up: Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the car wash
They are supposed to be this week direct from Italy, but I suspect they may not so watch this space.

Yes, the car wash issue was a real pain in the backside, I've have a part payout just waiting on the other half.

Certainly is :sweatsmile: Also made some enquiries today about my front wings. On the edge of the inner lips (where the arch liners tuck under), there is a few bubbles of rust, but hasn't made it's way round onto the outer facing section of the wing. Hoping they can just wire wheel the inner lip down, etch prime, stone chip and paint that section so it's all sealed up again, then I will be able to keep the factory paint on the outer facing part of the wing so will stay a perfect colour match.

Best pics I could get, looks worse than it is as the phone is literally sitting on the tire to take these pics lol:

View attachment 257172
View attachment 257170
View attachment 257171

It's the only spots of rust on the car so keen to get these sorted.
It's a very common occurrence to get it there on B7s so you're not alone.
always best to deal with it asap.

Reactions: NM07
They are supposed to be this week direct from Italy, but I suspect they may not so watch this space.

Yes, the car wash issue was a real pain in the backside, I've have a part payout just waiting on the other half.
I'm pleased for you that they are giving you a payout though, a lot of places would just say "it came like that, prove otherwise" and try and brush it off. Unfortunately, all too often they get away with it. Same with tyre fitters damaging alloys.

It's a very common occurrence to get it there on B7s so you're not alone.
always best to deal with it asap.
Definitely. Drivers side is almost perfect luckily, but will be having that side done too for peace of mind. My body shop also mentioned to me that for some ungodly reason, Audi decided to put foam on the inside of the wings, which hold water like a sponge :angry: They will be coming off.

I'm pleased for you that they are giving you a payout though, a lot of places would just say "it came like that, prove otherwise" and try and brush it off. Unfortunately, all too often they get away with it. Same with tyre fitters damaging alloys.
They weren't going to, but I take no prisoners with this sort of damage and stand my ground, it has to be done.
They weren't going to let me take pics of the conveyor system, I soon put them straight on a few things and they stopped the machine, I was in there to take pics that cannot be disputed whether they like it or not.
All in both parts of the payout will cover the cost to refurb them, well if I decide to now that is since I will be selling them on at some point.

To be honest, I'm one of many that have been on the wrong side of their poorly designed system.
Any driver with a low profile tyre and specific fitments will come off worse against this thing, that chain just chews into the rims.
IMG 5242
IMG 5241
IMG 5244

Little job today but a pain to get the rusted screws out.
before

RzwNDNE.jpg

TQJ3oX9.jpg

During

F7j8KnX.jpg

nOBNODu.jpg

After

239bFsB.jpg

uiP5O8W.jpg

reobIU9.jpg

I have a well lit rear plate again :yahoo:

Reactions: boffin486
Car failed it's MOT for a rear shock, personally can't see the testers problem :whistle2:

P6j5jFz.jpg

dYA8dJf.jpg

So today i've pulled out the problem rear shock and took the spring out too which isn't as bad but ideal time to start the coiler process.

kdX55lC.jpg

aQ3VCXg.jpg

18dbDEp.jpg

So tomorrow i'm going to get hold of Euro car parts and see if they have bump stops and dust covers in stock, as well as eccentric bolts, nuts and washers that need replacing.
only took one side off so far as it was hot with no wind and i stopped to watch the footy and have a drink :footy::tropicaldrink:

Car failed it's MOT for a rear shock, personally can't see the testers problem :whistle2:

P6j5jFz.jpg

dYA8dJf.jpg

So today i've pulled out the problem rear shock and took the spring out too which isn't as bad but ideal time to start the coiler process.

kdX55lC.jpg

aQ3VCXg.jpg

18dbDEp.jpg

So tomorrow i'm going to get hold of Euro car parts and see if they have bump stops and dust covers in stock, as well as eccentric bolts, nuts and washers that need replacing.
only took one side off so far as it was hot with no wind and i stopped to watch the footy and have a drink :footy::tropicaldrink:
Good for at least another 10k miles..lol

• Haha
Reactions: Fully

P6j5jFz.jpg

dYA8dJf.jpg

kdX55lC.jpg

aQ3VCXg.jpg

18dbDEp.jpg

I've a very good set of special edition avant quattro rear spring in the garage if they are any use but you need some matching fronts really to keep the ride height correct.

I've a very good set of special edition avant quattro rear spring in the garage if they are any use but you need some matching fronts really to keep the ride height correct.
Cheers,
i already have a set of coilovers, just never got round to fitting them.
Now i need to

Cheers,
i already have a set of coilovers, just never got round to fitting them.
Now i need to
If you're doing the fronts, steer well clear of that pinch bolt, even if it has been replaced before it can still be a pain and you really don't need to touch it as the front strut assemblies can be removed with ease the other way.

Reactions: Fully
Well the old barge's diet from my wallet has come to end, was good while it lasted! I've just booked it in to my trusted bodyshop who are going to sort out the inner lips of the wings, and respray the front bumper to get rid of a few dings and make it perfect. Going in on 5th September. Their colour matching skills are absolutely impeccable, so trust they will get the match just right.

Hopefully will be clear corner modding the headlights too this week if all things go to plan! Will post pics when complete.

Reactions: B7Tourer, tr7 and Charlie Farley
Following on from taking the failed offside rear off the other day which caused the failure of my MOT, today I took out the nearside and although it was leaking like the offside, the rubbers had still perished and look like they've been on since the car was new. Plus gotta change in pairs.

ktoMpvv.jpg

fitted the new springs and shocks today, just waiting on new eccentric bolts, washers and nuts for the transverse link arm (audi had bolts and nuts but no washers :wtf::rage:), but i am getting them tomorrow to get this all finished up on the rear.

8NqLF2S.jpg

dxgxwMh.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Vinny000, NM07 and tr7
Well the old barge's diet from my wallet has come to end, was good while it lasted! I've just booked it in to my trusted bodyshop who are going to sort out the inner lips of the wings, and respray the front bumper to get rid of a few dings and make it perfect. Going in on 5th September. Their colour matching skills are absolutely impeccable, so trust they will get the match just right.

Hopefully will be clear corner modding the headlights too this week if all things go to plan! Will post pics when complete.
Great news

And glad you've went clear corners now. It vastly changes the look for such a small difference imo

• Love
Reactions: NM07
Bulb out is an error lol.

The chimes on start up would drive me nuts. Could never have these things.

Plus why would I want to make it easier for people to read my plates

Bulb out is an error lol.

The chimes on start up would drive me nuts. Could never have these things.

Plus why would I want to make it easier for people to read my plates
i meant error as in telling you there's a problem when there wasn't.
Telling me its out when there is a problem is good as far as i'm concerned

It would appear that my replacement alloys won't now be here this week after all.
Having been told they were out for delivery, chasing the order all week only to find out they are still in transit somewhere in Europe on a pallet.
Total farse at the seller's end without doubt.
In two minds about cancelling them now and just refurbing the ones at have fitted.

Reactions: tr7
It would appear that my replacement alloys won't now be here this week after all.
Having been told they were out for delivery, chasing the order all week only to find out they are still in transit somewhere in Europe on a pallet.
Total farse at the seller's end without doubt.
In two minds about cancelling them now and just refurbing the ones at have fitted.
Probably quicker, cheaper and you know they look good on already.