What have you done today?

brought the car for NCT(Ireland) and failed on cv boot and i cant believe they failed on missing lower door mouldings..... CV boot 10e and door mouldings 170e :(

brought the car for NCT(Ireland) and failed on cv boot and i cant believe they failed on missing lower door mouldings..... CV boot 10e and door mouldings 170e :(

if there hanging off and have a sharp edge or can injure pedestrians they can fail it !! If there not there at all then id be having words and take it to your NCT ministry and report the testing station.

Finally swapped my motor blower today. I've come to terms we just ain't having a summer so at least I can make the inside of my car lovely and hot.

Bradderz_1988 they are completely of the car its only them little studs left on the doors. well it was about time to get them mouldings anyway i was delaying for over a year so maybe its a good thing the car gona look better now..

Bradderz_1988 they are completely of the car its only them little studs left on the doors. well it was about time to get them mouldings anyway i was delaying for over a year so maybe its a good thing the car gona look better now..
is it worth seeing if ScottB5 group buy source can give you a quote for delivery to Ireland?

Reactions: ScottD3
i ordered them already from german auto spares cause i have to bring the car to a test center in couple of weeks so im a bit in a hurry, but thanx anyway Sulli79

i ordered them already from german auto spares cause i have to bring the car to a test center in couple of weeks so im a bit in a hurry, but thanx anyway Sulli79

Don't seem right them failing you on a bit of trim missing.

WE could have sorted something out if you could wait.
Next time? :)

Well been busy all day, went down to my works to do the rear wheel bearing all went smoothly apart from the abs sensor bolt snapped but its that tight i just left it and disconnected from under the rear seat, got the old bearing out new one pressed in bolted all back up jobs a good un until on the way home the noise is still there arrgghh jacked it up when i got home theres no play in the wheel doesnt feel rough used an skf one so im going see about getting a replacement monday as ordered it through our parts so should have a warranty thats if the bearing doesnt blow when i press it back out (no doubt it will lol) going to do the o/s/r one aswell just to be sure but its definately coming from the n/s/r.

Whilst at work i got cracking with both front cv boots n/s/f was the better one of the two as the o/s/f required undoing the control arms to remove the shaft the n/s/f has loads of room to just pull the shaft.

Few pics lol

Ready for the joint
224E8094-41EC-4B9D-B3A1-DC223B275C53-4168-00000484092EC73E_zpsab00b713.jpg

All cleaned and greased
8F333DC7-BEAC-4D4B-B648-6525F26B5400-4168-00000483FAD85E77_zps808a673b.jpg

My wash tank lol (diesel)
4D85CD06-0782-418A-9D9E-FCFC90C4534B-4168-00000484102703EB_zpsdafd49c0.jpg

Joint on and boot clamped
3652F0A1-99E8-4CE8-9AD0-2D149DDB95B4-4168-0000048417937BB6_zpsaed88cf8.jpg

All cleaned up ready to go back on
671698AA-EF3C-48BE-B38E-A64CD0387C9C-4168-00000483F4348455_zps55387a1d.jpg

All on bolted back up.
1B72F9F7-D66D-4B23-A282-99C517390B70-4168-00000483EDE62617_zps19df4498.jpg

Now since doing these i think ive dislodged the abs sensor or theres some crap in the reluctor or ive cracked it when tightening the bolt on the driveshaft with my impact gun as the abs is kicking in below 20mph checked with vagcom and its saying drivers front implausable signal intermittent iirc another job to do next weekend lol

Also got my seatbelts swapped out and replaced the airbag ecu all went well and also fixed my cup holder that wouldnt eject unless you pulled it as it wasnt sitting flush.

Few more pics lol

Half stripped
09E45618-66E3-4791-867E-8BC67602D468-4316-00000494B8819A26_zps20033950.jpg

Found you !!!! Lol
315EC655-A72F-4296-9C69-89D2EFC6B048-4316-00000494CD0D58BE_zpsb1e18989.jpg

The bit jamming my cup holder which is now back in and working :)
D162BD08-B698-492A-A350-E873E674A243-4316-00000494C2A23D5D_zps7580507f.jpg

Also found this connector is it for the orginal concert tape deck or something else ???
C8D50620-EC0A-4192-BB52-61531492CB26-4316-00000494BD946EF2_zpse8e5ea09.jpg

Today I spent over a grand on new diagnostic equipment!
Still cant read the ABS fault on a family members renault though :(

Been a bit busy recently with a new job, so not much time for the cars!

However, I changed front calipers on both cars within the last month or so, the ones I had were costing me a fortune in pads and discs - lesson learned!

I've got the rears to do on the saloon, but haven't had time yet.,

My one (saloon) is due its test Monday, I've already put it in and got a fail sheet.

Nothing bad considering - almost all the bits are due to my road - one front and one rear cracked spring, two tyres cut on the inside sidewall by rocks in the road (new last year too!), fuel pipe leaking (got hit by rocks), horn not working ( fuse blown - the avant did the same last year??) and an advisory on the NSF CV boot.

I got Bilstein B6 shocks, Lemforder strut mount, Audi front springs and Suplex rears all from Jason at All German, along with a Febi CV boot. (shame I couldn't have read your write up first Bradderz!)

The suspension wasn't too difficult - the rear towers were rotten,so I had to wheel out the Oxy-Acetelyne and put in a couple of plates. This seems to be an issue, as the Avants were the same so bear that in mind if anybody else is looking to do Quattro rear shocks. They go at the back(inboard) - so you only see when you remove them.
The front was painless enough - it went pretty much the same as I said in my previous write-up.

I cut out the leaky fuel pipe and spliced in a new length and changed the front CV boot.

The boot was not as easy as I hoped. I don't have a cone, but as I had the strut out it should have been simple to pop the joint off and change it in situ. Unfortunately I couldn't press the joint off the shaft using the old bolt, so had to take off the driveshaft and give it some welly in the workshop. That did the trick!

Took it for a test drive and it feels a lot better. The old shocks were done, although nothing actually visibly wrong with them, once off they were very tired.

The Avant is due next month, so I will wait with bated breath!

You all seem to being suspension work on your motors mate.
When you getting a proper drive way? :)

Today I'm updating one of my RNS-d units and testing the remote switches with it.

At the moment, the remote switch unit does not work.

not done anything to my A4 today but ive been stripping one of my B5 passats for it to head to the crusher tomorrow..
over the weekend ill be dropping the subframe, engine and gearbox out my other B5 passat for it to head the same direction of the one I stripped bits off today..

anyone ever fitted a power socket in the boot? I took the ones out the rear of my passat today and I fancy getting it in the boot of the A4.

where would be the best place to take the feed from?

not done anything to my A4 today but ive been stripping one of my B5 passats for it to head to the crusher tomorrow..
over the weekend ill be dropping the subframe, engine and gearbox out my other B5 passat for it to head the same direction of the one I stripped bits off today..

anyone ever fitted a power socket in the boot? I took the ones out the rear of my passat today and I fancy getting it in the boot of the A4.

where would be the best place to take the feed from?

I assume you got a PFL A4 B5?
Got a tow bar?
I used the feed for that for my 3.

PFL ?? you have lost me there Scott ..

Ive not got a tow bar yet but it will be on the to do list
did youre tow bar have the twin electrics?

PFL, PreFacelift and FL is facelift. B5s prefacelifts was from 96 to about 99ish.

My towbar did have the twin electrics but I've removed it.

PFL, PreFacelift and FL is facelift. B5s prefacelifts was from 96 to about 99ish.

My towbar did have the twin electrics but I've removed it.

ahh right gor you now.. yea my car is PFL in that case.

was it the secondary socket you wired it to? I was thinking on running a live from the battery through a 20 amp inline fuse and even having a switch on it somewhere. I did use the one in the rear of the passat and did find it handy so I know it would be used

ahh right gor you now.. yea my car is PFL in that case.

was it the secondary socket you wired it to? I was thinking on running a live from the battery through a 20 amp inline fuse and even having a switch on it somewhere. I did use the one in the rear of the passat and did find it handy so I know it would be used

20amp is a bit big. 10amp would be more than enough.
I wired in 2 12v sockets and 1 240v inverter.
if you got an avant, look out for facelift rear boot sides, they have a pop out 12v socket.
I'm not sure on the Loons.

Aircon gas top up and finally fitted dash rings but wish i'd rubbed them over with wire wool to make them look like brushed alu to match interior. Fit new rear drop links later.

CV boot replaced and lower door trims installed ready for car retest.

Today I change my pollen filter for a carbon activated one.
Replaced my fault AC fan (which decided to work when hooked up out of the car) for a working one.

And fitted my auto dimming mirror.

Before

After

I also routed all the cables for the side mirrors to auto dim.
Just in case I find the glass.

Now I'm testing my TMC unit with another RNS unit to see if its working.

Today I bought some tools to go steal a ford with... of course im not planning on stealing a dagenham dustbin, but I'll help you gain entry and drive yours again when you lose (or throw away out of sheer embaressment at an audi meet) your keys!

Reactions: ScottD3
I also fixed my TMC unit.
The fuse blow, bodged in a blade fuse for testing which worked so I updated the firmware on it.
Time to fit it back into the car when I'm free.

The Avant is due its test at the end of the month. A quick look over found a hole in the floorpan where a rock had punctured it.

Peeled back the carpet and out with the gas for a quick weld. I'll put it in next week and see how I get on.......

I've started stripping the engine out my old passat before the shell goes away to get turned into a trailer.
I had a few hours at it today and its ready to drop out so tomorrow will see it sitting on the floor.

I'd be leaving the bearing alone until you've done the other side.

Well yesterday i replaced the o/s rear bearing and that was my bearing noise, but now in stead of a droning wa wa wa at motorway speeds theres a high pitched grr grr grr grr rumbling which wasnt there until after about 28 miles or so seemed to start after a sharp left hand motorway bend, looks like il be in the workshop again :( just when i thought id cured it.

at least ive fixed my abs fault pulled the shaft and reluctor was fine, bought a replacement of ebay for £1.20 delivered so have a spare if one decides to go there was a bit of crap in the reluctor so cleaned that out my clicking noise was the dust shield catching the disc luckily not the pad surface just the hub of the disc, so i removed the sensor all was ok no damage so adjusted the sensor correctly (think i may of disturb it) clear the fault and shes pulsing pedal and abs light free :) just need to sort this bearing noise out now lol

Finally got the chance to fit my 034 gearbox mounts and apikol carrier bushes. Next on the list is my new 034 arb and brackets, then its some rs6 egt sensors, new map and heading for the 700bhp barrier :)

Today i went back to the garage i bought my car from a year ago, they now want to take advantage of my key programming services, result!

today I will mostly be stripping anything of value of my beloved tqs.......
much easier stripping than it was putting the ****** bits on!!

Today im going to be knocking on aprox 50 peoples door and making there life a misery :D
I love my job.

Not today but yesterday i worked through my dinner to finish at 4:30 to pull the car back in the workshop to tackle my bearing noise so i got another bearing sent out to our parts department under warranty, pulled the o/s/r upright pressed the new/old bearing out and pressed the replacement in built it back up and its rumble/waa waa free :) to top it off on the way to work this morning went to put my drink in the cup holder and what ya know its fubar again lol so i think i may pop a bit of tiger seal on the coil spring to bodge it lol oh and stop it poping off :)

and ive also just paid deposit to JCB for my replacement gearbox to cure my whining/notchy 1st/2nd syncro as it sounds horrendous at idle if you rev it !!

Today I fitted a new stumpy ish aerial. The lack of an aerial started to annoy me but the longer ones annoy me just as much. This one is not too bad.

Also got my TMC unit in and working. This was also one of the reasons for having a working aerial.

I just need to try and change the source of the TMC and it should be fine.