What have you done today?

Yesterday I installed my new garden feature piece....

It's not as noticeable when you look at from the back door...

I will be breaking this over the summer eventually, give me a shout if you are interested in any bits but aren't in a hurry....

Continued the ball aching job of changing the heater matrix!

In fact, I have never been so happy to see a leaking heater matrix as I was today; at least I had found root of the misty windows mystery!

Hopefully back together tomorrow!

ive spent today on top of my garage roof attaching galvanized box profile..

please note the plastic corrugated stuff from wikes hasn't even lasted 8 month..
the first bit of hot weather and it all warped then leaked like hell

I had the Avant in for its test last week, failed on one upper arm balljoint and advisories on an exhaust bracket and heat shield.

Pleased about the arms - I did the lowers last year with Meyle arms, the uppers were part of a £150 kit I bought about three years/50,000 miles ago. Not bad really!
I bought all four uppers from All German Parts, and got the Meyle HD ones, so thats both cars with front and rear fully done with good parts now - until my road destroys them.

Bad news is I put my back out the end of last week at work, so was a bit worried about getting it done this weekend for the retest Monday.

However, Mrs PaulF has now been inducted into the upper arm removal club. I gave her a bit of direction, and sat outside with her while she changed the bad side herself!

I'll do the other side once I can stand upright again!

I had the Avant in for its test last week, failed on one upper arm balljoint and advisories on an exhaust bracket and heat shield.

Pleased about the arms - I did the lowers last year with Meyle arms, the uppers were part of a £150 kit I bought about three years/50,000 miles ago. Not bad really!
I bought all four uppers from All German Parts, and got the Meyle HD ones, so thats both cars with front and rear fully done with good parts now - until my road destroys them.

Bad news is I put my back out the end of last week at work, so was a bit worried about getting it done this weekend for the retest Monday.

However, Mrs PaulF has now been inducted into the upper arm removal club. I gave her a bit of direction, and sat outside with her while she changed the bad side herself!

I'll do the other side once I can stand upright again!

Nice to see your misses giving some input and getting involved, the only thing my misses would do is take to it with a sledge hammer when she finally has enough of me blowing all my money on the car :) !!!

As for me i just cleaned the car as it came in to contact with an aerial bomber this morning on the way to work, was on the M61 when i happened to see what looked to be a brown wobbly tennis ball flying towards my car, all of a sudden it sounded as if i took the wing mirror off with a lamp post.

have a look for yourself .......

HOLY BIRD CRAP
1065A252-6079-4796-9E76-BE158BE86465-847-000000E82CA94E7C_zps1a8b8878.jpg

A70D1290-65FD-4567-A2E9-D1EE7C7434AE-847-000000E84839A4DC_zpsd92312c4.jpg

and just a random front end shot of the front (and yes scott im affraid i lost liking of the red grill surround it was a tad too bright for my liking wish id of just gone black now :( or bought some dark red plasti dip oh well we learn from our mistakes :) )

Picture quality and drop back is ****e also needs a polish tomorrow (weather dependable) so may get some better shots tomorrow !!

CC0E83D3-EDAB-4FE2-8866-884723FB6A1D-847-000000E86DA745BA_zps5bc4210c.jpg

oh and gave the tailpipes a thorough clean with acid and a scotch pad !!

D334F2F1-C4FE-4560-A007-A0930A5E4E21-956-000000F76881F4DE_zps63d1e210.jpg

Last edited:
Put smoked lamin-x tint film on my front fogs and side indicators, looks loads better and very subtle.

Picks to follow.

Bradders, I'm shocked it lasted this long mate. lol

Today I spend 4 hours cleaning and polishing Audrey, fitted a new Gala cable from the clocks to RNS-d, wired in the standard OEM roof based aerial.

Removed this

Off with the Old...

[/quote]

Replaced with this for some testing -

Loosely fitted with metal ARB links -

[/quote]

Reactions: PAULF
Decided to keep my Sportec mono 10's, so after a refurbishment i thought it would be rude not to refit them. Doing the ARB change over was the ideal time to get the Sportec's on...

What do you think?

Today im recovering after the hectic day i had replacing NethanB's cluster to get him back on the road! I did a lot of running around for him to get parts, as i remember how hard it was to do this when your off the road!
Im about to advertise my laptop and tablet, i fancy a convertable levano :D 17inch viao isnt ideal for diagnostic work, and the windows 8 tablet struggles to run eeprom reading software with its small screen!

Decided to keep my Sportec mono 10's, so after a refurbishment i thought it would be rude not to refit them. Doing the ARB change over was the ideal time to get the Sportec's on...

What do you think?

They look really good on the RS, is the 034 ARB a complete kit, or do the brackets come separately?

Thanks!

I can supply the 034 ARB & brackets as a kit or either of them separatley.

Took delivery of my S4/RS4 Xenon headlights unfortunately the mounting tabs on one of the headlights was damaged during transit, going to phone cover insurance see what i they can do as im not paying £25 out my own pocket to buy the tabs off ebay, or if anyone has a set for the N/S they will send us for postage costs ill send you monies to your bank account (paypal) lol !!

picture and there in mint condition aswell got them for a bargain, so my old ones will be up for sale as soon as these get some sidelight bulbs and repair tabs !!!

2BBA51D4-EDBC-4E02-A54F-E68D7EE6418C-178-0000000657F55798_zpsbad5d9e6.jpg

what bulbs are the sides in these as there not the 501 T10 capless ones in normal ones !! Whats the correct watt for these ??

not good mate

thats why my moto when i buy a car or anyone i no buys a car i tell them

if no history of it being done means to get it done for piece of mind regardless unless the writing is very clear to the point it looks brand new then id leave it unless the tensioner/rollers havent been done !!

if no history of it being done means to get it done for piece of mind regardless unless the writing is very clear to the point it looks brand new then id leave it unless the tensioner/rollers havent been done !!

sadly in this case I think this is throwing salt in his wounds but yes I do agree with you 110% I always check the timing belts on any car I buy and If it doesnt look fresh it gets changed.

sadly in this case I think this is throwing salt in his wounds but yes I do agree with you 110% I always check the timing belts on any car I buy and If it doesnt look fresh it gets changed.

I can only imagine how devastated one is, worst thing that could happen before a write off/burnt out :(

Whats worse, and ill confirm over next few days, I paid for a new belt and kit Inc pump when the garage sold me the car as there was no history of it. Also paid for a service. They assured me everything was done, im confident the belts old, but I dont know how ill prove it after 30k miles and 14 months.

Whats worse, and ill confirm over next few days, I paid for a new belt and kit Inc pump when the garage sold me the car as there was no history of it. Also paid for a service. They assured me everything was done, im confident the belts old, but I dont know how ill prove it after 30k miles and 14 months.

s**t mate I feel for you.. I wouldnt be happy was it a main garage or a back street place?

After that sort of milage id expect there to be stamping left on the belt ?? If you twist the belt and the teeth lift off then its probably never been done id argue with them anyway as a belt shouldnt just go like that, it will go to either incorrect fitment of parts (threaded bolts etc) or incorrect tension applied to the belt causing snagging if to loose or stretching if too tight !!

either way id expect them to be covering it, if you have paid for a kit then check everything for any date stamps etc also see what brand kit they fitted and check the brand stamped on the parts on your engine, you will soon find out they have probably not done it to make a quick couple of £££'s

It was a second hand garage not a main dealer. Looks like the tensioner is sitting at a weird angle, possibly bolt snapped or bearing failed. I bet they would argue the smf caused it to vibrate loose or something daft, I think tensioner failure is a known issue but over 1 year old I doubt id be able to claim warranty. Probly gotta take this one on the chin!

Well its a new day now, ive completed candycrush lvl 113 today lol

Today i snapped my cambelt... doh!

Sorry to hear this, something that nobody needs happen to their car. Any chance it was genuine parts the garage used when they did the belt since IIRC that they are guaranteed for 2 years.

Blown a cv joint on the front driveshaft which resulted in having to push the car in to a tesco express car park on my own while others stood their and watched.....

Last edited:
Nothing worse. I once saw a guy trying to push a Honda S2000 round a roundabout about 100m from a petrol station, i jumped out (wife was driving) and went over and he'd run out of fuel! I started pushing, and some other bloke passing by came over as well and we pushed it onto the garage forecourt. Bloke was grateful, theres no way he'd have got it there himself, as its up a slight incline.

Reactions: Chriscooke and PAULF
Blown a cv joint on the front driveshaft which resulted in having to push the car in to a track express car park on my own while others stood their and watched.....

aye im suprised you even got it moving as these are heavy buggers me and in2deep had to push mine literally about 200 yards if that and i was ****** by the time we got it round the corner to his house !!!

Last edited:
Took delivery of my S4/RS4 Xenon headlights unfortunately the mounting tabs on one of the headlights was damaged during transit, going to phone cover insurance see what i they can do as im not paying £25 out my own pocket to buy the tabs off ebay, or if anyone has a set for the N/S they will send us for postage costs ill send you monies to your bank account (paypal) lol !!

picture and there in mint condition aswell got them for a bargain, so my old ones will be up for sale as soon as these get some sidelight bulbs and repair tabs !!!

2BBA51D4-EDBC-4E02-A54F-E68D7EE6418C-178-0000000657F55798_zpsbad5d9e6.jpg

what bulbs are the sides in these as there not the 501 T10 capless ones in normal ones !! Whats the correct watt for these ??

well fitted them today as i couldnt wait to fit them mounting tabs are some what bodged till i get my repair kit from TPS tomorrow fitted proper sidelight bulbs as some div fitted ba15's with inline pins eventually got them out without breaking the holder as they seem to become brittle over time by the looks of it, so fitted some halogen h6W bulbs may get some LED ones but dont no which are best to go for as the ones ive had in the past either blow or start to flicker !!

anyone recommend any ??

Sorry to hear this, something that nobody needs happen to their car. Any chance it was genuine parts the garage used when they did the belt since IIRC that they are guaranteed for 2 years.

It was contitech, and as the tensioner bolt snapped no warranty.

Today i bought an engine off another ASN member :D
Today one of you lucky buggers will maybe buy my ASZ derv injectors ;)

It was contitech, and as the tensioner bolt snapped no warranty.

Today i bought an engine off another ASN member :D
Today one of you lucky buggers will maybe buy my ASZ derv injectors ;)

if the tensioner bolt has snapped its been over tightened or cross threaded !! Id still be going to the garage and agueing the toss with them !! Its gone for a reason not due to parts its due to incorrect fitment mate !!!

if the tensioner bolt has snapped its been over tightened or cross threaded !! Id still be going to the garage and agueing the toss with them !! Its gone for a reason not due to parts its due to incorrect fitment mate !!!

its just a question of me proving it, and i dont have the time or money to wait on or pay for engineering reports.

Today, well yesterday I fitted new lower door mouldings.

Before

During

After

I also loaded the roof box for inters.

Its a bit more full up now cause I forgot to pack my clothes last night. :ninja:

makes a nice difference Scott

I don't know what it is but I love the color of you're car.

makes a difference from the more common silver.... like mine... :(

Hibiscus Red Pearl.
Not seen many of them around.
The same car as mine passed me on the motorway last summer, we look at each other, smiled, thumbs up and off he went. lol
I think he was as shocked/happy as I was to see another one the same. lol

I like silver but it just annoys me that they always look the same, clean or dirty.