What have you done today?

Today I didn't do the compression test - got only 3 of the 4 plugs undone (cylinder 1 was extremely tight - it's always been a hot cylinder where I have had issue's with a misfire on multiple occasions and cylinder 2 - I couldn't get the plug undone using the same tools which undid 3 and 4 easily. rather than struggling and breaking it somehow.. I put it back together again and went to the park with the grandkids to make a snowman.

has anyone ever sprayed something down to help undo the plug - I think it is the grease boiling and bonding the plug - they only went in 6 months ago.

In my head - I think cylinder 1 and cylinder 2 are a problem between each other. This is the head damage I ignored when I change the head gasket.

If you look at the head you can see where the ceramic part of a spark plug (in my avatar) had broken off in cylinder 1, but there is also damage in cylinder 2 which means that some how it travelled in-between cylinder 1 and 2 through the exhaust valves?

View attachment 143606

You put it back together like that?!?
Jeeeesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hydro s3
Might be a useless suggestion mate,but have you tried warming up the engine a bit then trying to undo them?

You put it back together like that?!?
Jeeeesus

yeah I took the head off like that too, they are hundreds of ££ - it's just an old piece of junk on the drive I use for a laugh, what will the indents do on the head, as I was told it was scrap when I originally changed the head gasket and noticed this - that was 18 months and 12K ago? the pistons had a couple of scratches but no indents, and the bores looked clean, amazing amount of force to cause that to the head.

The engine was already hot when I was trying to remove the plugs, but like I said these two cylinders I am sure always get too hot, I assumed it was because it was running lean, original stage 1 map and extra flow - so I got the second ECU and FMIC - but I wonder if it is the head damage.

yeah I took the head off like that too, they are hundreds of ££ - it's just an old piece of junk on the drive I use for a laugh, what will the indents do on the head, as I was told it was scrap when I originally changed the head gasket and noticed this - that was 18 months and 12K ago? the pistons had a couple of scratches but no indents, and the bores looked clean, amazing amount of force to cause that to the head.

The engine was already hot when I was trying to remove the plugs, but like I said these two cylinders I am sure always get too hot, I assumed it was because it was running lean, original stage 1 map and extra flow - so I got the second ECU and FMIC - but I wonder if it is the head damage.

The rough indents and protruding points will provide enormous hot spots and cause pre ignition. Temps through the roof and misfires galore. Those things can be fixed, welding and skimming.

Thanks Karl, so that probably explains why the extra heat on those cylinders. its interesting you say it can be repaired as someone mentioned a place near me in St Albans I think the guys who sell the V6 Turbo kits and worked with the chinafolds a few years ago. but as with everything with this car, the cams would be removed the valves would need replacing etc etc etc. a week later a million quid bill.

all I did was smooth over a bit and remove the carbon from the valves - oh and put mr muscle oven cleaner everywhere

First breakdown recovery in 17 years. Brake fluid warning followed by clutch pedal to floor. Damn it. Some nice gentlemen helped me push the car across 3 lanes of motorway.

pretty sure it is related to me fixing the leaking caliper before the MOT in November - I wonder whether the bolt has started leaking again, the clutch felt a little low last night on my way home - I just assumed it was nearing end of life.

So i emptied my catch can this afternoon and i was surprised how much gunk came out after only being on for about 5 months. I will have to start checking it more often i think.
Screenshot 2017 12 16 17 04 36

So i emptied my catch can this afternoon and i was surprised how much gunk came out after only being on for about 5 months. I will have to start checking it more often i think.
screenshot_2017-12-16-17-04-36-png.144075

I prefer mine with milk and no sugar :yum:

Reactions: hydro s3
Thought I’d take my S3 out the garage after 2 years of slumber, just to turn the engine over! Lol

Fired up easy with 2 year old V-Power in the tank!

Attachments

• FA671F96-59C3-494C-9E02-747585AEE7FD.jpeg
    FA671F96-59C3-494C-9E02-747585AEE7FD.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: RickyB, andrew_wright and superkarl
IMG 2139

Tinted my back windows and black smoke wrap stop lights

Today I completed my last major project this year. Me and my project caled Grinch we wish you happy christmas hollydays
010.jpg

,,, next year will be fun and mostly green .... lol

Reactions: tomjol and IPG
77715160 8C62 4259 851A BF9C50D77C70
Was looking in to folding mirrors came across these immaculate condition couldn’t resist Cost Me double the last ones I bought and ended up selling. if she finds the receipt I’m dead

Last edited:
Reactions: warren9022
Genuine ones are like a brushed aluminium not chrome... maybe the seller polished them as genuine covers should be made from aluminium iirc...

Lots of plastic looky-likeys out there

<tuffty/>

Genuine ones are like a brushed aluminium not chrome... maybe the seller polished them as genuine covers should be made from aluminium iirc...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I double checked that with him people just seem to refer to them as Chrome
It’s the 1st thing il be checking anyway

<tuffty/>

Am I right in thinking the plastic look alike just click over and the original will have part number stamps on the inside

Am I right in thinking the plastic look alike just click over and the original will have part number stamps on the inside
Not something I have looked into myself but I believe the aftermarket ones are replacement covers not clip over as all the gaps would be taken up and the mirror wouldn't fold...

UPDATE... just spoken to a mate who had genuine mirrors... they should be made from alloy, not clipped on and lacquered

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Not something I have looked into myself but I believe the aftermarket ones are replacement covers not clip over as all the gaps would be taken up and the mirror wouldn't fold...

UPDATE... just spoken to a mate who had genuine mirrors... they should be made from alloy, not clipped on and lacquered

<tuffty/>

Cheers I will do a small scratch test don’t want to brake the glass trying to look behind for a part number

The look a likes are made by InPro and are pretty damn good quality imo. Old ones are held in by clips and two screws underneath, copies clip and screw in similarly.

That guy is definitely flogging InPro chrome covers.
Iirc they only cost me ~£60. First thing I bought my car as matter of fact

I've got original genuine mirrors, admittedly they've suffered 15 years of wear and tear but I don't think they could ever have been that shiny. Can compare if you like.

The look a likes are made by InPro and are pretty damn good quality imo. Old ones are held in by clips and two screws underneath, copies clip and screw in similarly.

That guy is definitely flogging InPro chrome covers.
Iirc they only cost me ~£60. First thing I bought my car as matter of fact

If that is the case then they will be going back

if she finds the receipt I’m dead

Just remind her that they are a reflection of her beauty :yes:

I remember trying to get my mirrors that shiny when I first got my S3,definitely not happening here.

Hope you get it sorted mate,don't want your S3 to end up as an 'Static Art Installation' :blink:

You'll know as soon as you pick them up. The original mirrors are machined out of a single block of metal and have strange machining marks inside. Also the genuine aluminium wing mirrors weigh a tonne compared to mirrors with a plastic housing. They're proper heavy. I had both genuine mirrors on my Pre-facelift S3 and Facelift S3, and I'm sorry to say, but they didn't look like yours in the photo :-(

I no I had a set a few months ago and sold them just wait and see worst case they go back

These are the genuine covers, one of the options i added to my car

Reactions: Tj 0785
These are the genuine covers, one of the options i added to my car

Are they brand new or been polished looking at them and the back of the others they look ok but you all go me paranoid now haha

Attachments

• 1C4F11FC-6020-4A3F-BF07-01F2D01E1AB2.png
    1C4F11FC-6020-4A3F-BF07-01F2D01E1AB2.png
    492 KB · Views: 243
Not new and brushed aluminium not chrome, they are still available, part number 8L2858499 DZ ZZ and 8L2858500 DZ ZZ £370 last time i checked

He says chrome in the ad but when I spoke to him he said genuine aluminium il just check the marking

He says chrome in the ad but when I spoke to him he said genuine aluminium il just check the marking

Hope it's not a case of 'smoke and mirrors' :blink:

Sorry mate,couldn't resist that one :blush:

picked these up last night, Seller said the pcd is 5x100 i really hope it is, havent really had time to check yet.

Initially i wanted to fit a set of porsche twist style alloys or a set of r8 v8 reps, but lately i've really started to like the bbs style look on 8l's so i've decided to take the plunge on these, the tires are shot though so that needs replacing and the rims does look straight.

Reactions: mr_pepps
In the summer I changed the brakes on the rear of my 1999 1.8T. Here's the before and after.

Attachments

• rear_brakes_old.jpg
    rear_brakes_old.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 270
  • rear_brakes_new.jpg
    rear_brakes_new.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 247
View attachment 145172 Was looking in to folding mirrors came across these immaculate condition couldn’t resist Cost Me double the last ones I bought and ended up selling. if she finds the receipt I’m dead

Yep they fake!! No weight in them
Whatsoever so removed the glass and scratched the inside of the casing and the finish came away!! Seller insists that they are genuine and that all genuine ones are chrome plated and not Aluminium because you would have to polish them all the time if they were. He says he told me they are genuine chrome and he not having it that the genuine ones are aluminium.Had a bit of a heated conversation with him on text but have also messaged him though PayPal asking for the return address in case I need to open a disputed

Reactions: IPG