What have you moved on to

AlS3BE

Reaction score
I’m starting to look for a replacement for my facelift s3 black edition sportback pre-gpf model. I seem to have ran out of ideas what is a good replacement.
I was at the dealership today and a basic s3 with a couple of options is coming in at £100 more per month. Which wasn’t too bad but feels like I’m getting a lesser car for more money per month and hitting the £500+ Road tax.
would be good to see what you guys have moved on to and any good suggestions.
Ideally similar performance but open to left field suggestions like a defender. Other options is to keep it and maybe give it a tune instead.
seems like a good time to sell but not to buy.

Reactions: pburv
I’m starting to look for a replacement for my facelift s3 black edition sportback pre-gpf model. I seem to have ran out of ideas what is a good replacement.
I was at the dealership today and a basic s3 with a couple of options is coming in at £100 more per month. Which wasn’t too bad but feels like I’m getting a lesser car for more money per month and hitting the £500+ Road tax.
would be good to see what you guys have moved on to and any good suggestions.
Ideally similar performance but open to left field suggestions like a defender. Other options is to keep it and maybe give it a tune instead.
seems like a good time to sell but not to buy.
I'am in the same boat as yourself with what to get next my car as just turned 3 year old but there isn't anything out there reasonably priced .
My car as been into Audi for an inspection to get the all-in plan I have 14 days to decide if I want to activate it .
2 services , 2 years warranty , 2 Mot's , 2 years roadside assistance for £784 or £32 a month which I think is a good deal .
I went into Porsche last week to look at a new Macan but was told if I order now i'am looking at jan - June 2023 for delivery as they are
close to stopping worldwide production for 6 months as the wiring looms are made in Ukraine so that was the end of that .
Really considering just keeping mine longer plus the £155 a year road. tax is a bonus .

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and AlS3BE
I'am in the same boat as yourself with what to get next my car as just turned 3 year old but there isn't anything out there reasonably priced .
My car as been into Audi for an inspection to get the all-in plan I have 14 days to decide if I want to activate it .
2 services , 2 years warranty , 2 Mot's , 2 years roadside assistance for £784 or £32 a month which I think is a good deal .
I went into Porsche last week to look at a new Macan but was told if I order now i'am looking at jan - June 2023 for delivery as they are
close to stopping worldwide production for 6 months as the wiring looms are made in Ukraine so that was the end of that .
Really considering just keeping mine longer plus the £155 a year road. tax is a bonus .
That all in one is a bargain.
was offered refinancing options with Audi which included 2 free services but it was at 8.9% apr which is ridiculously high considering other marques are offering 3-4% even other vag group cars have cheaper interest rates. Seat/formentador was 4.1% which is the same vw finance company.

Decided to finally part with my MY2015 1.6 diesel cab. Was disappointed that Audi stopped building the soft top and the A5 is far more than I want to pay. Wanted to stay with a convertible so I ended up taking delivery this week of a new MX-5. Heck of a change that's for sure! I miss the quietness of the A3 but the fun more than makes up for it.

Reactions: pburv and AlS3BE
Decided to finally part with my MY2015 1.6 diesel cab. Was disappointed that Audi stopped building the soft top and the A5 is far more than I want to pay. Wanted to stay with a convertible so I ended up taking delivery this week of a new MX-5. Heck of a change that's for sure! I miss the quietness of the A3 but the fun more than makes up for it.
I like the mx5 with the hard top unfortunately I need more than 2 seats.

This ain't the year to buy a new car ...but the year to order a new car for 2023 ...
Get your orders in ASAP ....or pay over the odds for a used yin....

This ain't the year to buy a new car ...but the year to order a new car for 2023 ...
Get your orders in ASAP ....or pay over the odds for a used yin....

thing is there’s no discounts to be had or any deals whether it’s delivered now or 2023. Most new factory orders now is looking at 2023 possibly q2. looking through the Audi range it looks like they have reduced the balloon payment on most of their cars which makes the pcp monthlies a lot higher coupled with their high interest rates at 7%+. Think it might be time to move on from Audi.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
thing is there’s no discounts to be had or any deals whether it’s delivered now or 2023. Most new factory orders now is looking at 2023 possibly q2. looking through the Audi range it looks like they have reduced the balloon payment on most of their cars which makes the pcp monthlies a lot higher coupled with their high interest rates at 7%+. Think it might be time to move on from Audi.
Think the new G8R is still available with a discount my RS3 8Y ordered Oct 1st last year is now a 2023 delivery as it stands right now

Reactions: pburv, Mr Freeze and AlS3BE
Think the new G8R is still available with a discount my RS3 8Y ordered Oct 1st last year is now a 2023 delivery as it stands right now

I did toy with the idea of the golf a while back but something about it I didn’t like. Maybe it could be me being a snob moving, in theory, to a lesser brand even though it’s pretty much the same car underneath

I did toy with the idea of the golf a while back but something about it I didn’t like. Maybe it could be me being a snob moving, in theory, to a lesser brand even though it’s pretty much the same car underneath
The new Golf R is better in a few ways over the Audi 8y S3 mate

I was looking for something to replace my 5 year old S3 last year and couldn't find anything I really liked. (don't like the new S3) Was going to buy a TTS but they look a bit of a lump and for similar money could buy a Porsche Cayman.
I bought a cheap 987 Boxster to see what they are like to live with. It feels and drives so much better than the S3, its easier to get in and out of than the TTS, roof down is great and I've ended up driving it more than the S3. I did test drive a new Cayman but again, the issue was delivery and a new model is due in 2024/5.
I decided to keep the S3 for now and have a stage 1 tune... and I still have the Boxster.

Reactions: AlS3BE
I was looking for something to replace my 5 year old S3 last year and couldn't find anything I really liked. (don't like the new S3) Was going to buy a TTS but they look a bit of a lump and for similar money could buy a Porsche Cayman.
I bought a cheap 987 Boxster to see what they are like to live with. It feels and drives so much better than the S3, its easier to get in and out of than the TTS, roof down is great and I've ended up driving it more than the S3. I did test drive a new Cayman but again, the issue was delivery and a new model is due in 2024/5.
I decided to keep the S3 for now and have a stage 1 tune... and I still have the Boxster.

tuning is on the cards if I keep it.
Was going to buy an old 986 boxster s a few years ago and make it a toy/track car as they were dirt cheap for a while and now they are expensive.
unfortunately replacing s3 will need more than 2 seats and not kiddy back seats like ones in the Tt.

Well guys,

I decided to go for my last true 100% Sports Car.
At 76 years old I'm thinking this will be my last.

Terry

Reactions: pburv, dantdi, CraigM and 8 others
Well guys,

I decided to go for my last true 100% Sports Car.
At 76 years old I'm thinking this will be my last.

Terry
Good to hear at 76 you are still enjoying driving sports cars .
The Porsche looks beautiful Terry .

Reactions: pburv, Sandra and tigerhonaker
I test drove the 8R and didn't like the feel of the cabin especially the dash and lack of buttons . No doubt a great drive tho with performance to match

Reactions: AdamInKent and AlS3BE
I test drove the 8R and didn't like the feel of the cabin especially the dash and lack of buttons . No doubt a great drive tho with performance to match
Yeah the dashboard is not easy to overlook...but spec the the interior with the leather option and it transforms the inside plus the golf hatchback is a better example than the A3 .....both a compromised in certain ways....the golf R is available with a 11% discount....0% on the Audi

Reactions: pburv, V6_Man, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
Great spec there Terry.
A car of that quality really should have the Burmester though, ready for if you ever get tired of that howl.

Reactions: tigerhonaker
Yeah the dashboard is not easy to overlook...but spec the the interior with the leather option and it transforms the inside plus the golf hatchback is a better example than the A3 .....both a compromised in certain ways....the golf R is available with a 11% discount....0% on the Audi

no discounts at my local.
specced a g8r with leather, dynamic pack, dcc pack and discover pro, couldn’t find the akropovic exhaust which normally is £3k option. Came back at eye watering £50k+.
not sure if I can bring myself spending this much on a golf. Think that might be my badge snobbery coming in.

no discounts at my local.
specced a g8r with dynamic pack, dcc pack and discover pro, couldn’t find the akropovic exhaust which normally is £3k option. Came back at eye watering £50k+.
not sure if I can bring myself spending this much on a golf. Think that might be my badge snobbery coming in.
Try drive the deal

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AlS3BE
Try drive the deal
Think l ticked all the boxes on the G8R on the drivethedeal website and was quoted a £6700 discount
I intend to take the profits of the sale of my 8Y then plan what car to get next ....no rush and maybes even wait for the facelift 8Y

Reactions: pburv, AlS3BE and Mr Freeze
Think l ticked all the boxes on the G8R on the drivethedeal website and was quoted a £6700 discount
I intend to take the profits of the sale of my 8Y then plan what car to get next ....no rush and maybes even wait for the facelift 8Y
I like the look and performance of the 8R but like many the dash/tech was a massive let down I also felt the cabin of the 8R was smaller than the S3 I'am also considering hanging on for the facelift 8Y S3 . How far off is the facelift ?

Reactions: AdamInKent, pburv, AlS3BE and 1 other person
I like the look and performance of the 8R but like many the dash/tech was a massive let down I also felt the cabin of the 8R was smaller than the S3 I'am also considering hanging on for the facelift 8Y S3 . How far off is the facelift ?

Was told by dealer that the facelift is due start of 2024. Fact is they haven’t sold as many 8y due to covid and chip shortages as they would have normally so the facelift might delayed.

Was told by dealer that the facelift is due start of 2024. Fact is they haven’t sold as many 8y due to covid and chip shortages as they would have normally so the facelift might delayed.
Yeah wouldn't surprise me to be honest I think they will leave the facelift as late as possible

Was the 8y and golf 8 not delayed by ages?
I remember the 8v was in production for 8years+

I do think the facelift will happen in 2024 although no drastic changes to the exterior...but they do need to refine the interior a good bit

Reactions: pburv and Mr Freeze
I do think the facelift will happen in 2024 although no drastic changes to the exterior...but they do need to refine the interior a good bit

and add that fancy drift diff to s3.

Reactions: pburv, Mr Freeze and Jassyo06
and add that fancy drift diff to s3.
No interest to me the rear diff ....Nice to have so would the 320 bhp ea888 engine though its the lack of colour and quality inside that's a problem

No interest to me the rear diff ....Nice to have so would the 320 bhp ea888 engine though its the lack of colour and quality inside that's a problem

im surprised they didn’t use the 320 motor in the s3 when vw is putting it in everything. It’s like Audi has become the poor cousin with the old tech.
this is what I mean for me to move onto a new s3 even getting the vorsprung I will feel like it’s not much of an upgrade for a lot more money.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Mr Freeze
im surprised they didn’t use the 320 motor in the s3 when vw is putting it in everything. It’s like Audi has become the poor cousin with the old tech.
this is what I mean for me to move onto a new s3 even getting the vorsprung I will feel like it’s not much of an upgrade for a lot more money.
Not worthy to jump to the current 8Y Vorsprung your a hatchback guy? To me the 8v is a better looking hatchback mate the 8Y is pretty heavy looking at the front....8v is more elegant

The lack of a power increase was a major factor in me not ordering the 8Y S3 when the order books opened .
Like you say not much of an upgrade for a lot of money .

The interior on the 8Y as grown on me to be fair but it really needs the design pack to give it a lift .

Reactions: AdamInKent, pburv, AlS3BE and 1 other person
The interior on the 8Y as grown on me to be fair but it really needs the design pack to give it a lift .
Probably another grand plus for the design pack, that’s if you can order it.

Think you' 8v owners got resign yourselves to the fact you still own a proper Audi which was designed and built with the best materials possible in its class back then ...Audi has changed and so have the cars .....A4/A5/TT/R8 are the last models left of the old school design with proper Audi interiors

Reactions: pburv, Mr Freeze and AlS3BE
Ok, I've sold my A3 and moved on to an Alfa Mito Cloverleaf. I think I'll stay here though, the Alfa forum is full of soft c0ck idiots, there's more adult conversation here :tearsofjoy:

Great spec there Terry.
A car of that quality really should have the Burmester though, ready for if you ever get tired of that howl.
Matt,

Just as a Heads-Up the (Burmester) audio system is not offered on the GT4 buddy.
Below is the only audio option for the 2021 Cayman GT4.

Bose Surround Audio System:

Terry

Matt,

Just as a Heads-Up the (Burmester) audio system is not offered on the GT4 buddy.
Below is the only audio option for the 2021 Cayman GT4.

Bose Surround Audio System:

Terry
£540 to have your keys painted. No further comment your honour.

• Haha
Reactions: pburv, Garrett 69, Mr Freeze and 2 others
Matt,

The key painted thing one has to Really-really want that !!!
Since this will (Undoubtedly) be my past Sports car I went for it.
However the cost IMHO is CRAZY expensive.

Terry

Reactions: SiPie, Mr Freeze and Jassyo06
You'd be amazed what most Porsche buyers are willing to spend their money on...my son's been at Porsche Glasgow selling cars for 18 months....and the story's he's told me....would surprise you example guy had a new GT3....purchased it for £180k sold it back to my son for £190k....the dealership then put in their showroom it sold within 2 day's for £240k ....

• Wow
Matt,

The key painted thing one has to Really-really want that !!!
Since this will (Undoubtedly) be my past Sports car I went for it.
However the cost IMHO is CRAZY expensive.

Terry
I drove the new 4-0 litre 718 GTS a few weeks ago....that was amazing....but not a car to use as a daily driver....your car is even more hard-core...so hats off to you mate...enjoy it to its best

Reactions: SiPie and Mr Freeze
Hi Terry,
It wasn't me who commented on the price of painting the key, but I had looked at your spec, and your options alone cost more than twice the price of my 987 after exchange rates! Not saying it's not worth that or that I wouldn't go for it if money was no object.
I look to buying a Cayman as a daily rather than a collector's car and the base makes sense compared to Audi's latest offerings and prices, if you don't go mad on the options. I did think the Porsche Bose system in the 2020 Cayman I took out was very disappointing though at the side of the S3 B&O. Unfortunately the flat 4 engine and steering feel of the 718 was also bit of a let down compared to the 987.
The Cayman is still the top of the list, possibly in EV format when it eventually arrives and things have settled down.