What is the Best Machine Polisher?

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I fancy getting a machine polisher. I have heard that the DAS6 Pro is a good machine but I have read that some of the sanding machines from homebase are pretty much the same machine and a lot cheaper!

I have never used one of these machines before and I'm mindful that I don't want to damage the paint.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

If it's your first one I would go for the das6 as it's very safe so you can not go through the paint

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
+2 for the DA6. Websites such as cleanyourcar.co.uk sometimes have very good offers on it. Imo one of the best beginner da's out there!

Meguiars g220 is good and your less likely to damage paintwork when using for the first few times. It's a little bit more expensive than others but they are robust and dealers will do exchanges if the machine is damaged.

Thanks for the advice so far!
There seems to be different makes of the das6? Is it a type of machine rather than a specific model?

As far as I know the different makes are just badging. The only real difference is between the ordinary and pro versions. The pro version is more powerful.

You haven't said what you hope to achieve? If it's just a spruce up a DAS6 and something like Dodo Lime Prime followed by a sealant or wax by hand would do. If you're looking to correct the paint you'll need more polishes like in the kit above.

And finally, a question. Will you use the machine much? Or would you be better getting a pro detailer to sort your car for you and you just maintain it? If I was starting again that's what I'd do. My DAS6 mostly gathers dust in the garage with only occasional use. :)

I'm just after slight correction ie. getting rid of very light spider wed effects. The detailer near me charges a fortune so I thought about doing it myself.
I understand what you mean though, that any machine would spend most of the time gathering dust.

DAS6 is a good machine especially when starting out. Rotary's are much quicker when correcting paint etc but require a higher level of skill.

Thanks very much for that mate! :icon_thumright: That seems to be the cheapest place for them. Thing is, I don't know what accessories, polishes etc I would need,

I see no one has really answered the question. Even for light spiderwebs you might struggle against the rock hard Audi paint. I'm assuming you are going to go for a DAS6 of some kind. For starters I would probably try Meg #205 and buy white and orange pads. Orange is more severe so try the white pad first. Even this combo may not work and you might need Megs #105. Have a read of:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/154592-my-a3-detail-light-silver-met.html

next day I got the car masked up ready for the megs compound. I'd done a test section and experimented with a few pad combinations but in the end the only combo that would shift the swirls was 105/orange hex logic

As it sounds like you are going to tackle this yourself make sure you read, read and read some more so you know what you are doing. Watch some videos on YouTube. And have a Google for "dave kg da polishing"

For a first machine I would highly recommend Meguiar's G220 V2 Dual Action polisher. Can't go wrong with it.

I see no one has really answered the question. Even for light spiderwebs you might struggle against the rock hard Audi paint. I'm assuming you are going to go for a DAS6 of some kind. For starters I would probably try Meg #205 and buy white and orange pads. Orange is more severe so try the white pad first. Even this combo may not work and you might need Megs #105. Have a read of:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/154592-my-a3-detail-light-silver-met.html

As it sounds like you are going to tackle this yourself make sure you read, read and read some more so you know what you are doing. Watch some videos on YouTube. And have a Google for "dave kg da polishing"
I have heard that the meg 205 would be best for the hard Audi Paint. Taking onboard your info, I'm now worried that this seems to be a big job with alot that can go wrong?
I would do abit of research and watch the various tutorials online before attempting.
I was under the impression with the Das 6 Pro, that you could not go wrong or damage the paint???
Detailers here charge between £400-600, whether I can get a Das 6 Pro with all accessories etc for under £200.

The DAS Pro would be best for your first machine and on VAG paint. It has more guts than the standard DAS. Also, the G220 has similar but cheaper internals, so I'd avoid that one. THe DAS has larger market share now because of this.

Do not go with the Silverline suggestion. Cheap means heavy and it's a rotary, so unless you're sure of your work, I'd avoid.

Couple the DAS Pro with Hex Logic pads from Chemical Guys and some Menzerna polishes and you'll be singing without worrying how much damage you could potentially do.

I've been told that it could take a couple of days and alot of effort to correct Audi paint. Is this true? Or should I fork out and pay £400 for a full detail?

I did a 5 series BMW full exterior detail in 5 hours... For a person who's not used to doing it give yourself the day but take care when doing it...

Is there a lot to go wrong? Even when using a das 6?

Honestly, no... As long as you don't hold it in the one spot for too long as you will cause the lacquer to blister due to overheating and working that spot.. My advice would be to give it a quick pass over the first go and see how you get on...

Maybe a good idea to get yourself a bonnet from a scrappy first to practice on, we did this and even had the confidence to wet sand the really bad scratches before using the machine (haven't had the confidence to do that to the car yet) also might be worth seeing if anyone near you might like to buy between you, because as has been said its probably going to lie around a lot. Oh another vote for the Megs machine here too, also suggest the Megs three stage product range, with maybe Megs Ultimate compound for more stubborn swirls, also remember to clay it first, Bilt Hamber is good as it doesn't need special lubricant, just use water. I did my S8 couple of years back, ****** lot of bodywork!! and it took me a day and a half but it was well worth the effort.

Car image

this was a picture of my car door, with my sons car at the time reflected in it afterwards

Last edited:
The simple way to decide is most people on here have said either the das6 or the meguiars g220v2. Both of these machines are dual action which have an oscillating motion which is far easier for both beginners and pros to use. I know megs come with a good guarantee and my dealer will swap a broken machine with no quibble. But im not sure about the das6. As stated be the other member they have the 3 step correction as I mentioned earlier meaning the ultimate compound, Polish and wax and when you get better with the machine megs do a more professional range of products. Im sure a dealer woupd run you a demo mine did and he showed me the products too. I used a company called the detailing booth in Preston.

Cheers shaun

Ewan next time your down pop in and I can do a demo for you. Yes detailers are expensive but what you would get from myself and Al up your way is perfection and better than brand new. Your paintwork is immaculate, sealed and protected against the elements. If you think about it say ball park figure for a correction detail at £400. The last Audi took me just about 3 days to do...so chop this down to daily and hourly rates your £400 comes down to maybe a tenner an hour and an awful lot of hard graft which the customer never sees. It all comes down to 'You get what you pay for'.

Reactions: LukeTripod87, RobbieWebs and scotty76
looks like a good deal, you would need a wax/sealer to finish off with

Got my DAS and pads from Juicy details. Quick delivery and got a blue drying towel free.
Thumbs up fae me :)

Reactions: Brodster
After having a sub £50 Silverline for over 6 years I can see the twice the price DAS6 Pro as being a lovely light bit of kit, however this worries me, the use of a Silverline and alike GIVES YOU MAN WRISTS.

Without the use of these heavy everyday objects we will turn into women and you don't want that !

Reactions: RobbieWebs and Brodster
If you wanna try something a little special look at the Flex or the Rupes Bigfoot......best I've ever used but ****** expensive.......that's why Santa brings me mine!!!!.....lol

The DAS-6 Pro is probably your best bet as a starter polisher. You can learn and refine your technique with it and it will last along time.

After working in a fab shop doing 10hr shifts using a 7" grinder day after day, using a DAS is a blessing :p

I believe mwguiars has an offer on their site if you buy direct and it appears to be a good one too!

G220 only £169 http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/meguiars/g220-v2-dual-action-polisher.aspx?gclid=CKvk0NzH5bwCFdShtAodnWIAZQ

Regarding polishes I have'nt seen any offers yet. Halfords is the best in summer as they usually do buy one get one free. Although their range is more lited. And another good dealer is eurocarparts. They are now stockists and in summer they may do a cleaning product offer so keep your eyes peeled

If you wanna try something a little special look at the Flex or the Rupes Bigfoot......best I've ever used but ****** expensive.......that's why Santa brings me mine!!!!.....lol

The DAS-6 Pro is probably your best bet as a starter polisher. You can learn and refine your technique with it and it will last along time.

I think there would be too much to go wrong with me as a newbie using a rotary. Won't I get the same result with a Das 6 Pro but it will just take me a little longer?

Ewan....a colleague of mine is selling his Kestrel DAS6 DA polisher with bag, manual, brand new motor brushes, 3 backing plates, 750ml 3M polishes and a selection of used pads to get you started. Hes after £80 for it mate with delivery but if you want it get it delivered to mine and then pick it up when your down my way next. Let me know mate if you want it

Ewan....a colleague of mine is selling his Kestrel DAS6 DA polisher with bag, manual, brand new motor brushes, 3 backing plates, 750ml 3M polishes and a selection of used pads to get you started. Hes after £80 for it mate with delivery but if you want it get it delivered to mine and then pick it up when your down my way next. Let me know mate if you want it

Cheers pal. Sounds like a good deal! Is there much difference between the dad 6 and the pro? I know that the dad 6 Pro is more powerful so would that be better for the hard Audi paint? What's the 3M polishes like? I was looking at getting the Meguiars correction and polishes so what are they like compared to the 3M? Cheers pal!

Last edited: