What oil do i need

martin1984

Reaction score
So oil light come on sayin min on way to work wont be finished till around 10ish so only leave tesco and poss a texco garage open to get some oil but what do i need car is 2l tdi
Thanks

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

OK Martin, so let's say the handbook is at home.

A typical VW/Audi 2.0 TDi would use a 5w-30 and Castrol Edge 5w-30 and/or Shell Helix Ultra VX 5w-30 meets the spec.

And so does Texaco Havoline Ultra R 5W-30 :yahoo:

Lubricating oil being the life-blood of the engine, top-up with as little as possible and check what is required and then fill up as required.

OK Martin, so let's say the handbook is at home.

A typical VW/Audi 2.0 TDi would use a 5w-30 and Castrol Edge 5w-30 and/or Shell Helix Ultra VX 5w-30 meets the spec.

And so does Texaco Havoline Ultra R 5W-30 :yahoo:

Lubricating oil being the life-blood of the engine, top-up with as little as possible and check what is required and then fill up as required.

Yea hand book is at home and with these engines having oil problems dont want to chance it till tomorrow would rather get something on way home and top up asap
Thanks for the info much appreciate

Reactions: 45bvtc
Yea hand book is at home and with these engines having oil problems dont want to chance it till tomorrow would rather get something on way home and top up asap
Thanks for the info much appreciate

But if you're on the 'MIN' bottom line, Martin, then OK ish..... Just don't go abusing it!

Don't know what you home run is, or how you drive, etc, but if you are 'engine-sympathetic' then being on the oil level 'min' I don't see as an issue (been in engines for 40-years and more) just don't abuse the darn thing...

Overworking that 'min' volume of oil would be more of a worry -a I don't see you doing that at our ambient 3ºC and 70mph, if you know what I mean.

Note: with modern lubricants and zero sump oil I've had engines running under load on a test-bed for 10-15 minutes without big end bearing damage; problem today, of course, is turbocharger bearing over-heat damage.

Have fun - and check the engine lub' oil level more often, Martin...

But if you're on the 'MIN' bottom line, Martin, then OK ish..... Just don't go abusing it!

Don't know what you home run is, or how you drive, etc, but if you are 'engine-sympathetic' then being on the oil level 'min' I don't see as an issue (been in engines for 40-years and more) just don't abuse the darn thing...

Overworking that 'min' volume of oil would be more of a worry -a dnI don't see ypu doing that at our ambient 3ºC and 70mph, if you know what I mean.
Yep i get what u mean i will have go easy tonite as normal drive home is boot it to get home asap at that time of night guess it will be a leisurely drive through the counry side
Thanks

Reactions: 45bvtc
Yep i get what u mean i will have go easy tonite as normal drive home is boot it to get home asap at that time of night guess it will be a leisurely drive through the counry side
Thanks

Did you get it sorted?

Did you get it sorted?
Hi yea got to tesco onky had their own brand but said vw audi on it prob put less than a litre in light gone off so will have to drive like a sunday driver for a few miles
Thanks