What 'other' car would you buy?

mark88

Reaction score
If all A3's were suddenly recalled and you couldn't have one, what would you buy, if you had to within the next year? I can't think of too many cars that I'd actually consider in the same class/price as the a3, therefore I'm interested to hear what other A3 owners like.

3 budgets, £30k, £50k, £80k, what would you be looking at and why? silly post I know, but nm....

30k - Honda S2000, 50K - Maserati Spyder (from 62k actually...) 80k - Bentley Continental GT (also over target starts at 115K) never was much good at economics...

30k audi a4 quattro 3.0tdi s line, 50k rs6 avant plus 80k weismann gt and new section 100k lamborghini gallardo. as far as audi a3 replacement goes i wud be stuck.

I'm stuck too for £30k.

£50k new RS4
£80K 911 Carrera S, 997

30k BMW 330d sport

50k RS4

80k Highly modified RS4

30k - Deposit on a house and an old banger

50k - Deposit on a nicer house and an old banger

80k - Deposit on a big house with a pool and an old banger

Seroiusly though, A4, A6, A8 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

New or used?

30k VW GTI/R32/Audi A4 2.0T FSI S Line (Confused...)

50k 911 (997) CS or at a push a C4S

80k Ferrari 360 Modena F1

At them prices they'd probably have to be LHD but hey this aint for real so there you go...

Anything over it would have to be a F430.

I don't quite understand why you're asking for replacements in the same bracket as the A3,then saying we have £30K to spend.

I'm looking to replace my A3 as soon as I can,with either the new Lexus or the new Alfa 159.

Well am undecided whether to change my A3 for the A4 avant or a new A3 DSG so there's the sub 30k.

As for the others not a clue !

[ QUOTE ]
I don't quite understand why you're asking for replacements in the same bracket as the A3,then saying we have £30K to spend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the top of the range A3 top out at around £30k fully loaded??

probably more actually.

What is the most expensive A3 money can buy?

30k--new lexus is200

50k--m3 csl

80k--911 gt3 rs

off to put £20 on the lotto and befriend some old people now?

[ QUOTE ]

30k--new lexus is200

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't need anything like that.
Prices yet to be fixed,but they're definitely going to be in the same ball park as my £24400 A3.

[ QUOTE ]
New or used?

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd never get a 997 S anywhere near £50k, new or used. Used ones cost more than new ones half the time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
New or used?

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd never get a 997 S anywhere near £50k, new or used. Used ones cost more than new ones half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

[ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're willing to go LHD, try finding a RHD drive one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're willing to go LHD, try finding a RHD drive one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said at them prices they'd probably have to be LHD...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I seemed to have snipped that bit out, I concede

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I seemed to have snipped that bit out, I concede

[/ QUOTE ]

All fun and games!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What's the most expensive A3 you can buy?

Check this out:

RRP: GBP 39,072.00
ROTR Price: GBP 39,852.00
Product no. RRP
A3 Sportback S line
8PAB1L\0\MINDFC1\GPQGPQG\GRCLRCL\GWQSWQS Engine S line 3.2 quattro 250 PS DSG 27,510.00
F14 1R1R Exterior colour Lava Grey, pearl effect 485.00
MSFL3TG Seats: Sports comfort seat
MSIBN1A Upholstery: leather seat covering
F56 QE Seats black, Dashboard black-black, Carpet black, Headliner black

Optional equipment
Equipment packages:
GPQDPQD S line exterior package 950.00
Audio/Communication:
MTVEQV1 TV reception 705.00
GPNDPND navigation system plus (RNS-E) with MMI operating logic and DVD (Europe) 2,175.00
MLSE8RY BOSE sound system 355.00
MVTV9ZF preparation for cellular phone with hands-free speaking system 385.00
MCDW7A2 CD changer 320.00
Seats:
MSIH4A3 seat heating for front seats 250.00
MSIE3L5 electric seat adjustment for both front seats 540.00
MSIBN1A leather seat covering 1,060.00
Interior:
GPKCPKC storage compartment and luggage compartment package 167.00
MLCPQQ4 Interior lighting package 140.00
MZFM0TD front and rear floor mats 30.00
GPZAPZA load-through facility including rear centre armrest with cup holder and removable ski bag 175.00
MGRTVC1 garage door opener (HomeLink) 170.00
MMAS6E3 center armrest front 95.00
Exterior:
MEPH7X1 Audi parking system 260.00
MDAR3S1 roof rails, anodised aluminium 225.00
MSSHVW1 darkened glass 325.00
MAHV1D2 removable and lockable towing attachment 530.00
MDEI3FB open sky system 1,050.00
GPW4PW4 heated exterior mirror, electrically folding and with automatic anti-glare action, including heated washer jets 260.00
Safety/Technology:
MAFHUG1 Audi hill hold assist 80.00
GPX2PX2 xenon headlights (RHD) 590.00
MGRA8T2 cruise control 240.00

Quite incredible what you could spend on a humble A3..
I have little doubt,somewhere,there is some saddo who's actually gone and done it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

I think I would pay out the extra for a A4 2.0T quattro Avant. I would miss the DSG. Otherwise I'd just buy a cheep Mazda 3 or maybe a used C200 Merc station wagon.
The new three series BMW would also be a contender.

For me it would have to be something that offered the DSG gearbox. Not keen on bigger cars so would probably be something in the VW Golf range or maybe a Passat.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have added Nogaro blue for £1500 aud exclusive, in addition some nice carbon inlays and exclusive 2 tone leather for around another £2000.

And how about some blue anodized roof rails with matching grill.

This would have pushed it to the high 40's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lets get an exact figure!!! I can see the mags liking this game!

Thinking about it, I think I would actually buy another A3 for the £30k car. A 3.2 S-line w/exlusive line, DVD Sav Nav, full body kit and maybe an exclusive colour.

When I get bored with my TDI that's definitley an upgrade path I might look into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

£30k

A3 Quattro, Towbar, GSXR1000K5 track bike with BT-002 (Soft front, medium rear), Penske shock, revalved forks, Full Akra system, spare wheels with wets, tyre warmers and full time brolly dolly. And endurance light, small indicators and daytime MOT so I can still take it on the ring twice a year...

£50k

A4 Quattro, Towbar, GSXR1000K5 track bike with BT-002 (Soft front, medium rear), Penske shock, revalved forks, Full Akra system, spare wheels with wets, tyre warmers and full time brolly dolly. And endurance light, small indicators and daytime MOT so I can still take it on the ring twice a year... and personal tuition from Karl Harris

£80k

A4 3.0D Quattro S-Line, Towbar, GSXR1000K5 track bike with BT-002 (Soft front, medium rear), Penske shock, revalved forks, Full Akra system, spare wheels with wets, tyre warmers and full time brolly dolly. And endurance light, small indicators and daytime MOT so I can still take it on the ring twice a year... and personal tuition from Carl Fogarty

£30k BMW 320d Auto sport touring with a few toys, just drives so much better than the Audi.

£50k BMW 535D Sport Touring with a couple of toys, one of the best cars I have ever driven.

£80k RS4 avant with everything on it, obviously not driven one yet but I am sure it wouldn't let my hopes down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking to replace my A3 as soon as I can,with either the new Lexus or the new Alfa 159.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must admit to being p****d off with Audi too, got a liking for the Alfa Gt at present, just can't find anything else I like, I think Audi have lost the plot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
£30k BMW 320d Auto sport touring with a few toys, just drives so much better than the Audi.

£50k BMW 535D Sport Touring with a couple of toys, one of the best cars I have ever driven.

£80k RS4 avant with everything on it, obviously not driven one yet but I am sure it wouldn't let my hopes down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My mate has an RS4 and he's having more trouble with that than I am with the A3, It broke a tappet a while back and putting two and two together I think the lower half of the cam follower/Tappet dropped down exposing the follower oil feed hole, which resulted in reduced oil pressure to the heads/cams, and both heads and 4 cams were scrap, nearly ten grand later he now has a RS4 that if he takes over 3000rpm the tappets rattle, that is after a full rebuild by QST? I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
50K - Porsche Cayman S

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been looking into this recently, when you start speccing up a Cayman it's so so easy to go well past £50k with essential extras added, and when you do that you realise you're not actually that far off the price of a 997 Carrera.

I think the pricing is all wrong, would you spend £50k + on a Boxster with a hard top?