What performance upgrades can i do now to increase 1/4 mile time?

Holding it for 1 sec or so turns off TC, holding it for 3-5 sec turns off ESP too.

I haven't seen a definite answer for the pre-facelift, I know that what you've said is correct for the facelift. What messages do you get come up on the dash when doing both of the above? As no matter what I do, it just says ESP off.

As far as I know,this doesn't work on pre-facelift cars.

Reactions: S.
Tuning a car for quarter mile tends to go like this,

Spend £XXXX on modifications and maps and you start to knock 1s, 0.5s off your times.
You then start to peak and plateau as the next stages of modifications, even more £XXXX, start to only take 0.1, 0.2s off your times.
Then you start getting into the realm of chassis setup, and very subtle modifications in order to shave 100s even 1000s of a second off your times.

Bottom line, the progression of quarter mile times has a positive logarithmic function.
I personally think you have to draw the line somewhere with what you're chasing. orrrrr you go full bore and build a purpose built drag car.
It's a crazy sport/hobby. Not one I intend to get suckered into myself.

Totally agree.

If you take it to it's logical end,then you are looking at not just hundreds,but thousands of horsepower to get ever decreasing gains.
You also run the risks and costs of transmission failure etc etc.

Each to their own,but I'd rather have a car that can run well on the road or a track.
Audi's nannying software doesn't help either track,road or drag times,and getting rid of it is difficult.

Reactions: grainqey
As far as I know,this doesn't work on pre-facelift cars.

Thought that this would be the case, do you know what happens on the pre-facelift when the ESP button is pressed? As in does it turn off just the TC, ESP or both?

I can confirm through testing on the farm track leading up to my house that a short press deactivates the ESP but leaves ASR on. A press of around 5 seconds deactivates ESP and ASR. This is on a 2007 S3.

I can confirm through testing on the farm track leading up to my house that a short press deactivates the ESP but leaves ASR on. A press of around 5 seconds deactivates ESP and ASR. This is on a 2007 S3.

Thanks for confirming, does another message come up after you hold the ESP button for 5 seconds? Could've sworn I've tried it before and there was no difference between holding and pressing it, it just said ESP off regardless, I'll try again after work though.

Thanks for confirming, does another message come up after you hold the ESP button for 5 seconds? Could've sworn I've tried it before and there was no difference between holding and pressing it, it just said ESP off regardless, I'll try again after work though.

No. If you press it once it will say ESP OFF, when you press it once after that you should see a message that say ESP/ASR ON. If you press and hold it will only say ESP OFF but the ASR is disabled also.

Reactions: HHS3
No. If you press it once it will say ESP OFF, when you press it once after that you should see a message that say ESP/ASR ON. If you press and hold it will only say ESP OFF but the ASR is disabled also.

Cheers, I'm going to give this a go in a minute!

My 2009 one, both press and press and hold says ESP off and both say ESP/ASR on when pressed again. So in short makes no difference on my car how I press it, I'm sure it turns everything off as I held a continuous four wheel slide off a round about and it didn't alter anything but I was able to hold the throttle in a position where I could still go round the bend and not slide to much, just the right side of the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2009 one, both press and press and hold says ESP off and both say ESP/ASR on when pressed again. So in short makes no difference on my car how I press it, I'm sure it turns everything off as I held a continuous four wheel slide off a round about and it didn't alter anything but I was able to hold the throttle in a position where I could still go round the bend and not slide to much, just the right side of the limit.

That may be the case for the facelift model. My pre-facelift would still engage ASR. 1 short press to disable ESP and attempting a 1st gear pull on a gravel track immediately activated ASR, on to taking the left hander with deliberate poor technique produced instability with no interference from ESP. Then after the long press the pull had all 4 wheels spinning, continued into 2nd and then a 4 wheel drift through the bend with no interference. Finally reactivated ESP and ASR and the pull as expected did not allow wheelspin and chucking it into the corner activated ESP.

I must note that my S3 is a manual and again is Pre-Facelift so to those with S-Tronic/DSG and facelift models, your experience may vary.

I used to do a lot of drag racing in my younger days one of the biggest killers of performance was heat soak in the engine. Keeping the engine running at optimum temperature or as cool as possible. I used to run an extra big radiator with a large facet fan on full up until the point I got to the start line then I would turn off all the electrics that weren't required.. I also used to keep the bonnet lifted slightly to let the heat xscape too. Also used exhaust heat wrap for the price (£30 roll at time) and what gains you got from doing that was well worth it!! Also don't forget your tyre pressure, you have to run it slightly lower the you would on the road. Did you run higher octane fuel, like super?

Reactions: S3Alex and S.

You sure? I have a 2009 aswell and have just been to try it if I press it deactivates ESP and if i hold it down it says ESP/ASR off?

My 2009 one, both press and press and hold says ESP off and both say ESP/ASR on when pressed again.

That may be the case for the facelift model. My pre-facelift would still engage ASR. 1 short press to disable ESP and attempting a 1st gear pull on a gravel track immediately activated ASR, on to taking the left hander with deliberate poor technique produced instability with no interference from ESP. Then after the long press the pull had all 4 wheels spinning, continued into 2nd and then a 4 wheel drift through the bend with no interference. Finally reactivated ESP and ASR and the pull as expected did not allow wheelspin and chucking it into the corner activated ESP.

I must note that my S3 is a manual and again is Pre-Facelift so to those with S-Tronic/DSG and facelift models, your experience may vary.

This is strange as I tested this out in my 2007 pre-facelift manual S3 yesterday and I found exactly the same thing as Ben. If I pressed the ESP button once, then ESP Off would be displayed on the DIS with the ESP Warning Light on in the Rev dial. If I pressed it again, whether that be straight after pressing it the first time or waiting a while before pressing again, then ESP/ASR On would be displayed for a few seconds and the ESP Warning Light goes off. Holding the button for any amount of time made no difference to the outcome. I haven't been in a position yet where's it's been safe to properly test out the differences with drifting etc. however with ESP off there is a definite improvement where power doesn't get cut, especially when accelerating hard round/out of a corner.

Again as I said there is nothing that says ASR is off. Both actions display the same messages which I feel is a bit of an oversight from Audi. The only difference is that the message comes up straight away on the short press and during the long press it takes something like 3-5 seconds to display the message which to me indicates something else has happened. I've done my own testing on my car on a surface which quickly, legally and more important safely allowed me to see the difference and I'm confident in my findings and know the results of both actions on my car.

If in doubt I would try to find a suitable location to conduct your own thorough tests to see what's what with your car.

Again as I said there is nothing that says ASR is off. Both actions display the same messages which I feel is a bit of an oversight from Audi. The only difference is that the message comes up straight away on the short press and during the long press it takes something like 3-5 seconds to display the message which to me indicates something else has happened. I've done my own testing on my car on a surface which quickly, legally and more important safely allowed me to see the difference and I'm confident in my findings and know the results of both actions on my car.

If in doubt I would try to find a suitable location to conduct your own thorough tests to see what's what with your car.

Ahh I see, so you're saying that when pressing the ESP button, the ESP Off message and light come on straight away and means that ESP is off but ASR is on. When holding for 5 seconds, the ESP Off message and light come on after (not straight away like with pressing) and means that both ESP and ASR are off, even though it still displays the same message as when pressing.

I'll have to go out late one night soon and test the difference between pressing and holding for myself :racer:

Yes. You do a quick press and it displays 'ESP OFF'. If you press and hold It should be something like 3-5 seconds before the 'ESP OFF' appears at which point you release the button and from there both ESP and ASR should be disabled.

You sure? I have a 2009 aswell and have just been to try it if I press it deactivates ESP and if i hold it down it says ESP/ASR off?

That's good to know that the Facelift models have addressed the message display. Unfortunately the 2006-2008 models do not have this message (at least mine doesn't) and only indicates that ESP is off. But the same actions produce the same results.

Reactions: HHS3
That's good to know that the Facelift models have addressed the message display. Unfortunately the 2006-2008 models do not have this message (at least mine doesn't) and only indicates that ESP is off. But the same actions produce the same results.
Weird anyway I will try it and see if it makes any differance to my 1/4 mile, doubt it will tbh

Its coming !

Reactions: Inertiauk, moleskn1, HHS3 and 5 others
Can i pay with kiddney?

Reactions: moleskn1, grainqey, CHEZ and 1 other person
Just a suggestion have you thought about a Hydrogen Carbon Clean, theres a guy called Aiky in West Lothian who does this, results are far beyond expectations try a google on it, i got rid of limp mode and an engine that wanted to go 2.0TDI

Reactions: moleskn1 and S.
At stage 2+ I think your best bet is to start shedding weight. Rear seats followed by passenger then potentially a nice set of light weight racing buckets.

Reactions: moleskn1, S. and S3Alex
I think bigger ic should help too even tho it's not needed for stage2+.

I think bigger ic should help too even tho it's not needed for stage2+.

That,and also WMI would help for drag runs,esp if the car is mapped for it,but frankly I think that's really running the K04 to the ragged edge,and a TTE or big turbo would make far better use of that lot.

At stage 2+ I think your best bet is to start shedding weight. Rear seats followed by passenger then potentially a nice set of light weight racing buckets.

You could be right! Im going to look into it! Cheers for the help!

That,and also WMI would help for drag runs,esp if the car is mapped for it,but frankly I think that's really running the K04 to the ragged edge,and a TTE or big turbo would make far better use of that lot.

What is a WMI? some kind of intercooler?

You could be right! Im going to look into it! Cheers for the help!

What is a WMI? some kind of intercooler?

Sorry....as graingey says....water methanol injection ....injected into the inlet after the intercooler,and cools the incoming air,plus raises the RON value of the fuel.
Means you can push the timing a bit,and keep temps down.

Sorry....as graingey says....water methanol injection ....injected into the inlet after the intercooler,and cools the incoming air,plus raises the RON value of the fuel.
Means you can push the timing a bit,and keep temps down.

Haha wasen't even close thank you! will look into a kit

Just a suggestion have you thought about a Hydrogen Carbon Clean, theres a guy called Aiky in West Lothian who does this, results are far beyond expectations try a google on it, i got rid of limp mode and an engine that wanted to go 2.0TDI

I actually have but i also thought that they didn't make much difference, there is a few people round here who do it and it looks interesting

Reactions: S3Alex
I actually have but i also thought that they didn't make much difference, there is a few people round here who do it and it looks interesting

The best option for a coked-up(!) TFSi is going to be walnut blasting the intake valves.

Before and after from mine.....

DSC044231024x768_zpsc985e4f4.jpg

DSC044261024x768_zps18d62820.jpg

Reactions: moleskn1
The best option for a coked-up(!) TFSi is going to be walnut blasting the intake valves.

Before and after from mine.....

DSC044231024x768_zpsc985e4f4.jpg

DSC044261024x768_zps18d62820.jpg
wow! that is mental! looks brand new haha!
Been reading up recently on a turbo muffler delete pipe, Have you had any experience with this? if so what is your thoughts?

Been reading up recently on a turbo muffler delete pipe, Have you had any experience with this? if so what is your thoughts?

I cant really help you there....

This is my idea of a turbo muffler delete pipe...LOL

96215CE4-DE62-45CA-921B-8EC849CFA128_zpss7zkao5i.jpg

Seriously though...some swear by that mod,but we never used it on mine.

Reactions: grainqey and moleskn1

Some turbo kits, like the TTE420 for example, come with a TMD. It doesn't increase power but what it does do is give slightly increased throttle response as it eliminates the restriction and turbulence caused by the OEM part as you can see below. It also increases the noise produced by the turbo when spooling.
TMD Comparison

I've got a turbo muffler delete on my K04, I bought it with an ebay high flow turbo outlet and throttle pipe kit. seems to work ok but my map wont be making the most of it

Few things to try are. Experiment with tyre pressures. If on coilovers set the tears high and front low. Wmi maybe a worthy upgrade and a auxiliary fan on a switch to help prevent heat soak if lining up on busy strip

Other things are race fuel.. Freely available at Santapod and if can afford it drag radials

I've found to get a good time you need a good 60ft so getting your launch right is key be it software or grip

But really as ALEX says less weight is the best option other things are aero. A mate made great gains by adding panels on his underside to smooth

Last edited:
Reactions: HHS3, grainqey, moleskn1 and 2 others