What RNS-E Unit to get?

TBH its a possibility its got gps fin, but no cable to front for it, as I have seen allot of fins fitted for phone prep, also have gps tails not connected, you'd need to run an extension lead if it was fitted, but its remote as craig says & tbh you're better leaving this to an installer if you want fin gps connectivity, I've fitted a few including drilling the roofs & extended them, all fun.

Just to add though, they supply fins with either single function or a combo of the following:

GPS
Telephone
Remote Auxilary Heater

Also potentially an antenna system change if you want full radio reception.

Does anybody know if the 8P0 035 193 B Unit is SDS?

No, but I can supply sds version though.

Again, it isnt an SDS unit, so no it cant be coded to work.

What does the sds do anyway? I take it you just say a name and it rings the number?
Is there an adapter or add on to make SDS compatible then?

Well now I have a Mk2 unit. Does it need to be coded as soon as I put it in?
Also how can it be 'hacked' to work with SDS?

The mk 2 units have LED backlit LCD screens unlike the older LCD screens.

ahhh wasnt aware of that....the RNS-E is older than the RNS510 which has only gone LED the last few years, so assumed the RNS-E wasnt

id just put it in and see whats working mate.....good chance you'll need to change ya aerial too (£150 job) as a lot have problems with radio signal

From my understanding u need an SDS enabled RNSE, the hack is Tapping into wires.

I think the C and G versions are factory SDS enabled.

If yours is having trouble understanding voice commands for radio or nav for example, I think means u don't have SDS.

There are sds units & non sds units, the hack is making a non sds unit to be sds, mk1 is a known firmware hack, mk2 is allot more involved & not readily availible & isnt cheap to get done.

The wiring required is in addition to above.

G is not sds.

Bottom line is when you press the ptt button on wheel & it does sweet fa, it has no form of sds at all.

You really need to keep this on 1 thread, you have 2 threads going with all the same questions, it makes things messy, I will see if a mod will merge the 2.

There are sds units & non sds units, the hack is making a non sds unit to be sds, mk1 is a known firmware hack, mk2 is allot more involved & not readily availible & isnt cheap to get done.

The wiring required is in addition to above.

G is not sds.

Bottom line is when you press the ptt button on wheel & it does sweet fa, it has no form of sds at all

So if a mk2 with voice control (C) is installed, it's just the wiring that's required?

Is this something u can do Nigel?

Well I havent used the SDS as of yet anyway, as it doesn't understand my accent (and its not strong!).
As for the aerial, surely the current aerial, that works just fine, would be sufficient or is there more.

NHN, can you sort me out with that switch and button please mate.

Cheers

Well I havent used the SDS as of yet anyway, as it doesn't understand my accent (and its not strong!).
As for the aerial, surely the current aerial, that works just fine, would be sufficient or is there more.

No disrespect, but I dont think you're listening to what you're being advised fella, if your unit isnt sds then you wont be using it full stop, as it wont work unless its been hacked or is infact an sds unit.

No, if you have a late 06/07 onwards car with double din cncert 2+ then antenna system is different & has to be swapped out for proper radio reception.

I'll pm you on other request.

No disrespect, but I dont think you're listening to what you're being advised fella, if your unit isnt sds then you wont be using it full stop, as it wont work unless its been hacked or is infact an sds unit.

No, if you have a late 06/07 onwards car with double din cncert 2+ then antenna system is different & has to be swapped out for proper radio reception.

I'll pm you on other request.

Thanks Nigel.

What I mean is I currently have SDS in the car and a Symphony Unit. I Press the talk button on the steering wheel and a womens voice talks. I was trying to say that it doesnt work with my accent anyway, so I wont miss it really when I put in the RNS-E Unit (that isnt SDS llike you said).

Is I have the six disc Symphony then does that also require an antenna swap? Or is just just needed for Concert Units.

I do understand the advice Im getting and I really appreciate it. Im all new to this scene and to Audis so I'm just trying to get my head around everything.

Thanks

Rhyso has offered to code my SDS for me, but he has asked what would need coding?

Or is it just putting in the unit and seeing what needs coding first?

Thanks

Rhyso has offered to code my SDS for me, but he has asked what would need coding?

I assume you have phone prep installed with your symphony which means you have the basic level just with the phone, he cant code sds full, only the phone part, end of.

Completely forget about SDS it simply won't work with a Scottish accent or even if your a Scottish person pretending to be English, American, German etc. I've tried Audi's BMW's and Honda's and none of them understand any Scottish person. I don't have a strong accent being a middle class suburbanite so I think the systems are just racist.

I think it's probably because your from Glasgow and they assume you've stolen the car ;)

I assume you have phone prep installed with your symphony which means you have the basic level just with the phone, he cant code sds full, only the phone part, end of.
I meant to say, Rhyso has offered to code my RNS-E for me.
Yes I have the phone prep in the armrest.

Whats the difference between SDS full and phone part anyway? I couldnt find any help in the handbook!

Well I took my symphony headunit out and it looks a wee bit different at the back to the RNS-E unit.
Do you need a speacial connector?

SDS basic is just the phone voice control, sds high is with rns-e & phone control which is pretty good I have to say.

If you dont have the square as we call it quadlock adaptor (because it has 4 internal connectors withion the 1 square hosuing), then you need an adaptor to convert.

Where can you get these adapters and new aerials from?
Or Would a diversity antenna adapter be enough instead of getting a new aerial?

Last edited:
Would a Mk2 unit plug straight into a MY07 S3?

Abd will the steering wheel controls work?

Hi mate, yeah it should plug straight into your car provided it is double din. All models 07 onwards use the quadlock, so you should be good. But yeah it will need re-coding to get the full function working. Also an important coding is your tyre circumference, as this calculates the average speed and time of arrival etc etc when using the navigation.

PM me mate, and i'll give you my number, you can bell me in the evening to see how I done mine. As you have seen in my thread about the BOSE pin change, maybe I can help you with this too if you have BOSE?

Thanks mate!
I managed to get it fitted an changed the Bose pin in under a minute.
All the steering wheel controls and everything work fine! Going to get it coded anyway for the S3 logo etc.
Radio reception is also perfect!!!!

Nice one fella, but you still may need to code correctly, for example, there is a coding for MFSW and RNS-E or something like that which needs to be changed, also the right tire circumference must be correct, also if you have the on board cluster computer which shows your radio station, mpg etc, once coded correct you will also get the nav directions there as well as your unit. I will try and find the link for the correct coding mate and post it here.

Thanks mate. The directions and radio stations are coming up on DIS already! Its working like a dream.
The phone is also working with it and the bluetooth.

Thanks mate. The directions and radio stations are coming up on DIS already! Its working like a dream.
The phone is also working with it and the bluetooth.

Happy days then mate, enjoy, it is a well worth mod.

Do you know if the 2010 S3's (RNS-E mk2) come with SDS High...and if not what is the cost to upgrade them? Cheers.

SDS basic is just the phone voice control, sds high is with rns-e & phone control which is pretty good I have to say.

If you dont have the square as we call it quadlock adaptor (because it has 4 internal connectors withion the 1 square hosuing), then you need an adaptor to convert.

I have a genuine 2010 RNS-E with SDS high for sale.

It came out of my S3 I have just sold and is the new version (high def screen, faster processor, 32gb SD card capacity etc).

Pm me if you are interested.

No, you need a specific RNS with sds within the firmware already, a flick through your settings will let you know if there's sds on it or not, as it will have sds options & unless spec'd originally from factory then it wont have SDS.

Thanks! Well, the dealer of the car I'm interested in said that there is voice control for the phone. So that means it does have SDS, however from what I understand it could just be phone SDS and not full SDS? Sorry for all the q's on here, I'm also a newbie. :cool:

I dont know what to choose from can any one help with what is needed for each
my car currently has the small cd deck
I want to change to either the
pre facelift large deck
the 2010 large deck £100 all in but have been told i will need a new climate control unit.is that true?
pre facelift rnse £350 (not inc cage,code,cables fitting)
facelift rnse £550 (not inc cage,code,cables fitting)

please can someone help clarify this for me
thanks

You need to do what is known as a 'double din' conversion.

Ie you only have the single cd and no room to fit the Nav unit, you would have if you had the larger radio unit going by your description.

Do a google search on Audi retrofits and all will be revealed.

I am aware of the double din conversion
I dont know what to do atm: defo mk1 but here the math

350 mk1 rnse, code/cabes:50, cage:30, 8p0 820 043 h(non heated)30,fitting 80:440

Deck double din 50, cage:30, 8p0 820 043 h(non heated)30,fitting 80: 180

but then i have seen some heated leathers which are from a 2009 s line sportback

can anyone clarify if 8p0 820 043 l(heated climate unit) will work on facelift leathers, as i know the facelift climate unit does not work .
NHN has checked that

so atm moment its a choice between heated leather or mk1 rnse

Hey everyone. Just been reading this and im looking into getting one of these screens now iv been looking on the net and found one on ebay for sale. The thing is i currantly have bose and the ipod connection and anaux plug also mfsw , if i get this unit will i still have full function of my existing parts ,in regards to the 2x sd cards is that to put music onto ??or can you put movie files and play via that thanks

heres the item
Ebay item 170930711132

Hi mate which stereo do you have at the moment?i have a rnse 2011 for sale ,but i need a bns 5.0 plus cash my way...

Last edited:
Right cool ,no worries ..i will be selling mine if i can get hold of a bns 5.0 unit ,i also got ami for sale as well...