What size tyres should i go for? 19x8.5 ET45

kreativeJ

Reaction score
Hey guyz,

finally got around to being able to get some new wheels so am going for 19x8.5 ET45 size on my 06 A3 S-Line.

Im planning on dropping on 35mm H&R springs ( cant afford coilys at the mo ).

Will i get any rubbing issues if i use 235/35/19? Does anyone run this size?

any help much appreciated.

kj

Im Running 19x8.0 et42 with 235/35/19 tyres also on 35mm H&R springs and day to day driving with no rear passengers there is zero rubbing, with a full load of passengers it does rub on the back over bumps but remove the top screw on the rear bumper lip to reduce this. The rubbing only occurs because of the tyre touching the screw and the felt material that lines the inside of the arch so don't worry about it making any contact with metal bodywork as it won't.

I think your going to struggle with a 8.5" rim on ET45 with a 235 to be honest.

I know people do run 19 x 8 ET45 with a 235 tyre, but it depends on tyre choice also.

I cant say I've heard of anyone with a 8.5" rim running this size, in fact you may need to drop down to a 215.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly (N8:sos:)

cheers for the replies so far... is there a difference between the clearances on the 3 door and 5 door cars? I've found someone running that size but his is a 5 door...

I've found when looking around and trying to sort out the issues I had with rubbing that the sportback suffers more rubbing issues than the 3 dr.

You can remove the screw on the 3 dr and it makes a difference, however on the sportback makes no difference at all.

See the photos below - of the issue I had - on reflection I think that mine was actually catching on the felt inner wheel liner and not on the bumper itself, but I couldnt be doing with any rubbing at all so dropped down to a 215 instead of running a 225 tyre, not ideal if your a foot to the floor driver all the time, bt a compromise I was willing to take.

27022010187.jpg

woah... close lol Oh man jus saw that the springs come in 2 options.. - Front Axle Weight upto 1020 kg - Front Axle Weight from 1021 kg what is this about?

just to ask a similar question...

i'm thinking of fitting 19x8.5J ET42s. what clearance issues am i gonna have with 8P2 S-Line suspension, and what tyres would i need?

cheers in advance guys, and sorry for hijacking!!

just to ask a similar question...

i'm thinking of fitting 19x8.5J ET42s. what clearance issues am i gonna have with 8P2 S-Line suspension, and what tyres would i need?

cheers in advance guys, and sorry for hijacking!!

that's even more doubtful than mine! lol unless you planning on running 215's ???

Thing is i've heard of ppl running that set up with 235s and no rubbing. I was wondering how that was possible. I don't really like the stretched rubber look. Was wanting OEM plus all the way so for 8.5J 235 would be about right

I have 235/35/19 on my 19x8.5's but you can get away with 215/225

If lowering your car, I would opt of the 215's since you have a lower offset!

i think il order 225/35/19 just to be sure and avoid any rubbing issues :) What offset do you have?

Does anyone have a A3 56 plate 2.0 Tdi S-Line? I'm trying to find out what my front axle weight is but cant find it anywhere.

Last edited:
My offset is et50 and they are genuine BBS CH. I have it lowered 25mm on h&r springs and previously lowered to the tyre on coilovers in my TDI A3 with no rubbing issues!

I think Boydie can get away with this due to the the ET being 50 and not lower.

As you can see in my pic above your talking millimetres from catching to not catching.

I think Boydie can get away with this due to the the ET being 50 and not lower.

As you can see in my pic above your talking millimetres from catching to not catching.

ye im thinking better to be safe than sorry. Ive ordered 225's now :)

Will i need a full alignment after changing the springs to H&R 35mm drop? Im assuming so...?