What spark plugs and panel filter for custom stage one map (PFL)

Rip

Reaction score
As above, I want a decent panel filter to help get decent results from the map and on top of that I was told by a mate of mine who had his Golf R mapped that I'd probably need to change the spark plugs too as his standard plugs "couldn't handle it", the place that mapped his car put the plugs in and he's not sure what they were. My car is completely standard currently and will more than likely stay like that other than what I've just mentioned (plus probably a GFB recirc valve) so no exhaust mods etc.

Last edited:
You really don't need neither of those... Panel filter doesn't do much on MQB, do the standard intake mods if you want, but that doesn't do much either except for more noticeable intake noise. And the general rule of thumb is one step cooler plugs for every 75bhp increase, but doubt that you will hit that with stage 1, and even then, it's entirely subjective as the stock plugs are more than capable. If you have to, just go with the RS7 NGK plugs.

Reactions: Lehn and Rip
I ran standard plugs on stage 2 for a while pal and was absolutely fine so I wouldn’t worry about it it. As for the filter like above I would do all the filter mods and put a K&N or ITG but stage 1 custom will get good results anyway.

Reactions: Rip
I ran standard plugs on stage 2 for a while pal and was absolutely fine so I wouldn’t worry about it it. As for the filter like above I would do all the filter mods and put a K&N or ITG but stage 1 custom will get good results anyway.

I haven't even read up on airbox mods yet to be honest. I'm not so sure I want to chop it up though as I want to keep this car quite standard if I can. I'll get a panel filter ordered though.

The mods are just a slight dismantle of the air box, front intake and grill no chopping required.

This is the thread you’re looking for: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/modified-oem-intake-8v-s3.266915/

And if you want to install a panel filter I can recommend the Pipercross. Not that’s it’s going to make a big difference maybe just a little more induction sound combined with the above mod.

I agree, not much of a gain if any, but I went with the pipercross panel filter on stage 1 for the sheer fact it was only like £30 or something around that and I can’t fault it. Spark plug’s wouldn’t require uprating until stage 2 tbh, only reason you go to something like RS7 plugs or in my opinion preferably the NGK R7437-9 is due to the fact they run colder. Standard plugs on stage 1 is fine.

APR Stage 2+