What spark plugs do you use?

Pops848

Reaction score
I'm interested to know what plugs you use, I changed mine the other week, NGK T sparks came out but the ones I bought from ECP were Bosch quad sparks. I'm wondering if they're killed my ignition coil so I'd be interested to know if anyone has quad sparks also?
I've a 2.4 V6 but interested to know all engine types (apart from diesel obviously haha )

Iridiums are more conducive and as long lasting as Platinums .

Reactions: Pops848
typical, iridium, platinum, all extra expense haha!

Well I've a misfire and changing coils, breather pipes and checking other vacuums, will replace plugs again if needs be but lets hope not!

If they are they are among the correct plug choice for your car in the Bosch catalogue I doubt they would cause a problem with your ignition coil. What can cause a coil to fail is a badly worn or faulty old spark plug which is providing unnaturally high resistance. Were the old ones well past their “use by” date?

Many E36/E46 BMWs came off the production line fitted with one or two outer electrode copper spark plugs and if serviced today by BMW they would fit newer 4 electrode platinum ones. I have Bosch 4 electrode ones on my BMW Z3 and they are fine.

I didn’t realise you had a single coil pack on your engine – I wrongly assumed it had an individual coil pack for every spark plug and therefore, thought it unlikely that 5 or 6 would fail together. You could be onto something by deciding to put the coil pack under the spotlight.

If they are they are among the correct plug choice for your car in the Bosch catalogue I doubt they would cause a problem with your ignition coil. What can cause a coil to fail is a badly worn or faulty old spark plug which is providing unnaturally high resistance. Were the old ones well past their “use by” date?

Many E36/E46 BMWs came off the production line fitted with one or two outer electrode copper spark plugs and if serviced today by BMW they would fit newer 4 electrode platinum ones. I have Bosch 4 electrode ones on my BMW Z3 and they are fine.

I didn’t realise you had a single coil pack on your engine – I wrongly assumed it had an individual coil pack for every spark plug and therefore, thought it unlikely that 5 or 6 would fail together. You could be onto something by deciding to put the coil pack under the spotlight.

I can't be sure of the old ones, I only got the car in December. Service history is very comprehensive so I'd imagine that they have been changed. There's receipts for plugs and a coil about 8 months ago, but there's nothing to say it was a OEM or Audi coil etc.

I found an vacuum leak and tested with VCDS yesterday, I measured block 32 and 33, 32 had no values what so ever so I think I have some faulty o2 sensors. Block 33 was measuring up to 8% for bank 1 control valve and up to 20% for bank 2 control valve. I noticed the PCV pipe from bank 1 to bank 2 was bodged, so I rebodged it as it had come lose until a new one arrives. Slight improvement but still a misfire on all cylinders.

As coil pack is a sealed unit I can't change or swap 1 over, so yes I'll try a new one today, if it doesn't fix the issue it's a vacuum and I can return it anyway i'm sure. Only from ECP but it's a HAAS one so should be ok.

Fingers crossed that this fixes it!

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 157