What the reason for 2 SD card slots? - MMI

A4A4

Owner of a Shiny Daytona
Reaction score
I use one for music which can hold a 64GB card, so why have two SD1 & SD2 slots??

What the reason for the 2 SD card slots?

To provide more options for media? Some systems use SD for the nav depending on the vehicle.

I assume you have a B9 2016/17 model?
I've got a 128gb card in mine and whilst it see's it , for some reason it isn't picking up a lot of the music on there (my Seat Cupra 2014 model saw everything fine).
Are you seeing everything you should do on your 64gb card?
Can't seem to find anyone having the same issues (to be fair there seems to be a lot less people on forums for audi than there are on Seat cupra forums... so its hard to find out anything)

My A6 has two - I use one for music and one for satnav,

yeah the lesser specced cars have sat nav running from an sd card occupying one of the slots. my cupra had the same. I assume it is the Jukebox storage is now used to store the maps.
i think the guy is originally asking why does he have 2 slots (both empty). My presumption would be exactly this.... it is because it "could have" shipped needing one of those slots being used with satnav data, therefore you get to still use one. therefore you now get to use both

This setup allows the system to read data simultaneously from two different SD cards, which improves performance. Or you could take pull one SD card out without losing satnav (or other stuff) in critical situations.

Pretty sure performance doesn't really matter for mp3 playing though. ..

does anyone have any idea about my MMI only seeing "some" of the music on it. Also if I go through browsing as folders, it tells me there are no playable tracks in every folder I check. (i know there are!)

I assume you have a B9 2016/17 model?
I've got a 128gb card in mine and whilst it see's it , for some reason it isn't picking up a lot of the music on there (my Seat Cupra 2014 model saw everything fine).
Are you seeing everything you should do on your 64gb card?
Can't seem to find anyone having the same issues (to be fair there seems to be a lot less people on forums for audi than there are on Seat cupra forums... so its hard to find out anything)

I'm the same. I've got a 128gb SD card in my 66 plate A4 but the MMI system also cannot see all of the files on the card. MP3 files are present if I look on a laptop, but not in the car. Its weird.

what file format did you format it as? Guessing it is exfat as that is the standard these days which Windows formats to. I'm going to try in Fat32 to see if it helps. trouble is, copying 128gb of data to a sd card is not exactly a quick process!

I formatted it as FAT32. I've done a bit of reading around and it appears as though there is a maximum number of files that can be read on the card. Another post seemed to think it was around 10,000 files, irrespective of how big your SD Card is. Seems a bit of a limitation, but it would explain my issue as I have 17k files on my card

I formatted it as FAT32. I've done a bit of reading around and it appears as though there is a maximum number of files that can be read on the card. Another post seemed to think it was around 10,000 files, irrespective of how big your SD Card is. Seems a bit of a limitation, but it would explain my issue as I have 17k files on my card

Wow that's a whole lot of tunes!

yeah i've got about the same I reckon. Doesn't fill me with confidence given that i'lve been told that it needs to be FAT32. I heard about the max files thing but that was on the older MMI system, I would have hoped it would have been increased a bit since then.

Will try to test and do some things but it is gunna be a slow and painful process

just checked, i have 17k on mine too... going to remove 7k ish of them (might as well have bought a 64gb card then!) to see if it makes any difference to what it see

ok so i removed 7k to get it to just under 10k and boom, I can see all of my folders.

but now I have the dilemma of either buying using it as is (ie with 64gb wasted), buying a 64gb and forfeiting most of the music or use 2 cards (i only have 32gb cards) and have to faff around with swapping them over in the settings.

Also I've just tried to plug in my ipod classic 160gb via usb and MMI tells me it is ****** unsupported!!!! agh.
why can't things be straight forward!??