46lukasz

Reaction score
My coolant is below minimum and I'm wondering what brand/type of coolant should I use to top it off?

On the coolant reservoir cap it says G12. I looked it up and most of G12, G12+ and G12++ are pink in colour.
My car has red coolant from when I got the timing belt + water pump done at the dealer.

I have a bottle of Halfords coolant at hand. It's pink, OAT type, contains ethylene glycol and is silicate free. Will it mix OK if I use it?

What do you guys use?

Thanks

OAT or HOAT, that's all you need to worry about. If in doubt of what is in there, drain and refill.

I only have like 200ml to top up at most, so I think I could use the Halfords OAT coolant I have at hand, because from the reading I did the G12 and 13s are also OAT type, some with silicate some without.

But on the other hand I am worried about mixing two types and something going bad, since I don't exactly know what I currently have in the car.

All I know it was filled up by Audi so they must have used G12 or G13 as specified. Judging by the chart below, its probably G12 because its red.
Also from the chart, G12 can be mixed with any of the G12s and G13, regardless what colour they are, so that's the safest thing to do.