What was that noise!! WOT acceleration 2nd to 3rd Bang!!!

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
Just got home from work (picked up new wheels but more on that tomorrow when i get them fitted)

Decided to be a bit of a hooligan as it was friday.

Sitting at t junction turning left to join main carriage way.

3k rpm let go of clutch progressively and then 5.5k rpm change to second. Wide open throttle it to 5.5k rpm again and as i push in the clutch to go for 3rd i hear this massive bang from front and left of me!! Well it seemed to the front of the gearstick and to the left of the gearstick but i know from experience i am not the best at directional sound - mispent youth in rock bands!!

First i thought i had hit a pothole and smashed a wheel but no pot hole even if its back road and not very smooth

Second thought it was a blow out but i soon realised it wasn't that.

Third thought - was that the engine rocking and something being hit?

Fourth thought (not being mechanically minded i am guessing here) was that a cv joint or something like that to do with the front left wheel/drive?

Fifth thought - was this the ESP doing something very dramatic because of the loose surface.

Anybody else had this?

Anybody else got any ideas what it was or could have been.

Almost crapped myself when i heard it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But car seems fine (touch wood) and nothing obvious without getting under car.

what about your sh*te guards? check them all!! maybe one feel off, only guessin tho

never thought of that! will take a look in the morning. seemed to be too loud for that and the car still pulls well, but i guess a hard rubber hose hitting hard off the engine bay could make that sound and it would sound louder inside the car. no harm in checking cheers for the suggestion.

You sure you didn't run over something?

I've ran over peices of wood in the past which have smacked the floor in previous cars which makes this type of noise.

I'd also check for missing underseal.

i did look in my rear view mirror for any bits falling off my car - but didnt see anything, but i was obviously moving quite fast and so cant be sure.

sorry for being a div - but when you say check for missing underseal what would i be looking for exactly to indicate something was missing!!!!! i've not been under the car before so have no before pic in my mind.

ta

[ QUOTE ]
i did look in my rear view mirror for any bits falling off my car - but didnt see anything, but i was obviously moving quite fast and so cant be sure.

sorry for being a div - but when you say check for missing underseal what would i be looking for exactly to indicate something was missing!!!!! i've not been under the car before so have no before pic in my mind.

ta

[/ QUOTE ]

Check for fresh scuffs or marks on the underseal coating of the car

I had a similar thing happen a few months back... Driving like 30mph along a very narrow vilage lane and there was this horrendous bang... Stopped and got out and chcked over everthing and all was fine, nothing in the road. When i got home i whipped the wheels off and took a squiz... There was a fresh scuff around the circumference of the driveshaft... Seems a rock had pitched up hit the drive shaft and got catapulted out hance the bang.

Rich

Cheers rich.. will have a good look when i change my wheels if the rain in glasgow stops for 10mins!!

another of my questions - would a major scuff on the underseal caused by a rock invalidate any rust warranty?

thanks again