What wheels will fit my car?

Vertigo1

Reaction score
I'm looking to source another set of alloys onto which I'll stick winter tyres. I'll likely be sourcing these used from Germany as a friend lives out there and, as winter tyres are a legal requirement, there's a massive used market in wheels and tyres.

The issue is making sure the wheels will fit. My main issue is the size as ideally I'd be looking at 18" wheels to stick 225/40 tyres on but will 18" even fit an S3 saloon. As it comes with mag ride and 19" wheels as standard, I'm concerned the former dictates the latter and 18" won't fit. Also what offset do I need. Basically I want to give my friend some clear specs so he can find and buy some for me which I can then bring back when I next visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the label that states what the tyre pressures should be , on the drivers door in a hatch, it also lists different tyre sizes.
Look for the size with M+S after it, this is the recommended winter tyre size.
On the hatchback it says 205/50 17

I have an S3 saloon supplied with 19" and Mag ride. It is now on early Octavia VRS 18" alloys with 225/40 CrossClimate tyres. So in answer to your question, yes, VAG 18" are good to go.

No issue with 18"....S3 OEM 19" ET/offset is 49, bolt pattern is 5 x 112mm An ET below 49 will make the wheels stick out more and an ET above will bring them towards the wheel hub. Be wary of cheap aftermarket alloy wheel rims and used tyres and rims. Check used tyres for damage and also the date they were manufactured. That date is on the tyre sidewall. Tyres have an average 5-6 year life from the date of manufacture to perform well, after that they degrade.

I'm running the same as the guys above, 225/40 18, although the recommended, as I said above was 17.

They are tight but they do fit.
The M+S on the door card refers to the recommended tyre size as opposed to the tyre type, for the best performance in Mud or Snow conditions.

Last edited:
They are tight but they do fit.
The M+S on the door card refers to the recommended tyre size as opposed to the tyre type, for the best performance in Mud or Snow conditions.
Yes, as tall a sidewall and as narrow a tread as possible.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've done a bit more research with the help of my mate in Germany - there are entire websites and retailers out there dedicated to winter wheels and tyres which makes life a bit easier.

Seems 18" are my best bet and most aftermarket ones should fit providing they're close to the same ET46 offset. I think 17" is pushing it in terms of risking fouling the calipers plus I think they'd look way too small on the car. Whilst narrower tyres are obviously better in snow as they cut through it more easily, we don't get that much deep snow here and it's more about cold/wet/icy conditions where narrower tyres won't perform as well.

I’ve a set of Passat 17 alloys with hankook winter tyres. Used them on the Passat, then a TT which I’ve just traded for my S3. Really hope they fit, as said brake clearance is my main concern.
I was amazed what a difference winter tyres make.