What would be the best products to use...

terrymcg

Reaction score
Hi,

I cant afford to invest in a PC at the moment, so I was going to use Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish to have a bash at trying to hide my light swirling by hand.

So what would be the best products to go with this, before and after. Such as what wax to use to seal it? Can the Jeffs kit be used in conjunction with the blackfire, as have read good things about it!

Also are the megs yellow polish applicator pads you can buy from halfrauds any good for applying polish? And are the megs microfibre cloths any good for taking it off, or do you suggest getting different ones?

Cheers

Terry

Honestly, if you are looking at spending up to £100 on products to hide swirls I'd be tempted to just spend a touch more and take a trip up to PB to let them remove them properly.

How much are they charging to do a whole car, roughly?

The only thing would be that they will come back! No matter how careful you are, and at least I would have loads of applications of the products, even although it is just masking them. My swirls are only light, not severe ones!

Blackfire GEP has pretty good hiding ability, but Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze is even better in this respect. Topping either product with the Jeffs ranges is a no no, as the chemical cleaners in the Prime basecoat will strip the fillers, killing the effect. A better bet would be to top either product with a wax, which will add to the filling effect. Both Poorboy's Natty's Blue or the Blackfire Ivory Carnauba work well in this respect, and a coat of wax every 6-8 weeks and a fresh coat of glaze every 12-16 weeks should keep the swirls largely hidden, and the paint looking great.

If you go down to the other route and opt for professional correction, we charge £360 for such a service spread over 2 days. The swirls need not come back to the same extent after if you get your wash method spot on, but it is true that few people fully achieve this, and over time (12-24 months) feint swirls do usually start to reappear.

Thanks for the useful info WX51TXR!:icon_thumright:

So when washing the before applying another coat of wax, what shampoo is the best to use without removing the glaze?

Also what do you think to the megs pads for applying the glaze and the megs MF cloths for removing it? Are these too harsh and are there better ones I could invest in?

Terry

terrymcg said:
Thanks for the useful info WX51TXR!:icon_thumright:

So when washing the before applying another coat of wax, what shampoo is the best to use without removing the glaze?

Also what do you think to the megs pads for applying the glaze and the megs MF cloths for removing it? Are these too harsh and are there better ones I could invest in?

Terry

Any of the shampoo's we stock are ideal for washing as they clean well but are gentle to LSP's (last step products), my favourite shampoo if i'm not using Zymol Clear on my own car is Meguiars Shampoo Plus, Poorboys Slick and Sudz is also very good (and smells like Vodka Red Bull! :D).

The Megs yellow pads are ok for applying polishes/waxes etc but i find you get cramped fingers after a while, we always use German Applicator Pads as they fit the palm of your hand perfectly and help to give a more even and thinner coating - they also have a polishing/finishing side :)

Megs MF's again are ok, but there are better ones that will last longer and stay softer such as the Poorboys ones, we use the blue Thick and Plush ones for removing polishes etc and the Deluxe Mega Towels for removing waxes/sealants etc.

Hope that helps, all products mentioned can be found on our website if you get stuck :)