What would you do.... if you were me - S3 18" Alloys

illingworth22

Reaction score
I have a late 13 (Oct 2013) S3 which has covered 18,000 mile. I wash the car regularly but I have noticed the Alloys have started to worm and the lacquer has started to fade in parts.

Have a look at the pictures...... Are they covered under Audi Warranty or am I stuck with them?

Anyone else had this?

Warranty issue if they haven't been refurbed.

Reactions: batch
Not refurbed.....not even had new boots on yet! It's hard to see but the lacquer on the arms has gone white and the silver is no longer visible.

Are they 100% covered under Warranty? I have caught one on a curb but the other 3 have not been bumped or curbed at all..... all the marks are UNDER the clear lacquer.

If Audi are anything like Vauxhall these are 100 percent covered and will get a full set off wheels replaced.

Get along to the dealer and see what they think, anything thats been near a kerb obviously won't be covered. Diamond finish wheels are just a liability.

Diamond cut or not they will be covered as long as there not curb damaged.

Should be covered under warranty - apart from the one u kurbed. This problem is one of the downfalls with diamond cut rims unfortunately. Get them replaced and look after them with wax - just as u would the rest of the body work and they should last :)

Have you been using an acid based wheel cleaner? That could affect them

My wife had exactly the same issue on her BMW. 3 of her 19" M-Sport Alloys (diamond cut too as it happens) started to corrode near the centre after just 15 months with no kerbing, no scratches and no acid based cleaner ever used on them. She mentioned it to the service manager during a scheduled service, they took some photos, and after a couple of weeks they rang to say that all 3 would be replaced under warranty. No issue at all. I'd expect Audi to do the same.

Ah yes - diamond cut alloys. Bane of my life.

My A3 is in a garage getting all 4 replaced...all curbed, I've only had it 3 months :(

The two left side wheels were from poor parking within the first 2 weeks, scratched on a stupidly high granite curb in central London. The two right side...no idea but they had some scratches so garage is doing the lot. Don't ask how much because I don't know...but it's covered under my leasing company's insurance.

Pretty sure Audi's warranty covers a wear and tear for those alloys.

19"s on the Saloon 18" on all other S3's were standard..... well here in Ireland

Reactions: gamegenie
What's the issue with the diamond cut alloys? Is it just the risk of kerbing?

What's the issue with the diamond cut alloys? Is it just the risk of kerbing?

No all wheels are at risk from kurbing, just depends how careful you are lol. The issue with diamond cut wheels is the only thing protecting the diamond cut areas from the elements is a layer of lacquer which doesn't take long at all to wear off, I reckon most would be lucky if it lasts 12 months but then that depends on how you maintain your wheels. Water plus the salt from the roads just eats it off in places (particularly areas of the wheel with a sharp edge), also acidic cleaners can take it off. Once it's gone in some small areas, salt and water then have an entry point to the rest of the wheel and get underneath the remaining lacquer, then you get the white crystallisation looking bits of corrosion. It's worse in the cold winter months.

It shouldn't be an issue if you seal your wheels with a decent sealant or wax. Regularly, but once the corrosion sets in its more or less impossible to rectify without a professional refurb.

Last edited:
I've been reading about the diamond cut alloys. Troublesome to say the least. I can see how it happens. I'm in the aircraft maintenance business and battling corrosion is a continuous exercise. There's a lot of advanced applications in the industry for treatment and prevention. A fluid like ACF-50 can be used on already corroded surfaces and it can basically lift moisture below the top layers and lift it to the surfaces where it simply evaporates. Must check to see if it can be used on car wheels!