What's needed for an oil change on the s3 8p?

Keane

Reaction score
Hi all :) just wondering what's needed (special tools if any) on the 2.0tfsi s3. Used too change oil every 3-4k miles on my prev car and want too do the same with my s3. Have they got one of the ******* oil filters or have they got the normal plastic cap ones ? Also out of interest, can you take your car too Audi with oil I've already brought ? The reason I ask is a can get 5l of shell helix for £27 delivered too my door! Audi want around £65 for 5l ! Cheers :)

Usual sump-plug, washer and filter in canister affair. You do need a massive socket for the filter housing, can't remember what size though. As for Audi, dunno.

Ahh that's good :) glad it's the canister sort :L. Would feel a little cheeky but why would anyone wanna pay that for oil + filter.... Was hoping an hours labor charge with me supplying the parts. Only get it done for the stamp in the book!

Halfords sell the oil filter socket. The vw/ audi socket also fits ford. Well worth buying as any hassle is removed. Buy your new filter hen take it along to pick up the correct sized socket.

Usual sump-plug, washer and filter in canister affair. You do need a massive socket for the filter housing, can't remember what size though. As for Audi, dunno.

36mm. I assume it's the same as the v6.

There is also a "special tool" (read hose with a plastic coupling) that screws into oil filter cap to drain the oil out of the filter housing prior to removal. Of course you don't need it if you don't mind some clean up work.

I don't think Audi will want to put Shell Helix in your engine then warranty the work. It should be Castrol Edge 5w30 >>>eBay, >>>Asda

Don't skimp on your engine. :no:

I don't think Audi will want to put Shell Helix in your engine then warranty the work. It should be Castrol Edge 5w30 >>>eBay, >>>Asda

Don't skimp on your engine. :no:

As long as its to the same specification ie 504.00 507.00 5w/30, its all the same stuff, just a different sticker/bottle.

I work for a VAG main dealer and the entire dealer network uses Shell Helix. (46 dealerships across the country)

Yes Castrol is 'approved' by Audi, but in reality that means ****, and they'd have a ****** hard time proving its not Castrol inside your "broken" engine and 9/10 dealers want warranty work, they get paid for it!

Ofcourse they'd use the oil you provide, or at least try and match the price you can get it for.

The margin in oil at a main dealer is ridonkulous!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 1 litre bottle from my local Audi main dealer for £18.00 because I wanted to know what they used - it was Castrol Edge FST 5w30.

I bought a 1 litre bottle from my local Audi main dealer for £18.00 because I wanted to know what they used - it was Castrol Edge FST 5w30.

Cost to a dealer in bottles is about £6+vat. Hows that for a margin..

If they use the barrel.....which they normally do....its even better for them as they use the fixed price servicing.

Reactions: Artimus
Cost to a dealer in bottles is about £6+vat. Hows that for a margin..

If they use the barrel.....which they normally do....its even better for them as they use the fixed price servicing.
yea, great price hike! lol

I'm used to keeping a spare litre in the boot of all my cars for top ups and didn't want to mix different oils, so I went to them for the first one a week after I bought the car. Asda had a deal\mistake??? on a last year - 4Ltr's for a tenner (think there was a thread about it) - I'll use that to top my 1 ltr bottle up when it needs it. :)

yea, great price hike! lol

I'm used to keeping a spare litre in the boot of all my cars for top ups and didn't want to mix different oils, so I went to them for the first one a week after I bought the car. Asda had a deal\mistake??? on a last year - 4Ltr's for a tenner (think there was a thread about it) - I'll use that to top my 1 ltr bottle up when it needs it. :)

I remember it well, was crazy cheap, I can only imagine it was either wrongly priced, or they were offsetting the loss they were making on it with another product which they overpriced.

Just like the supermarkets do with petrol, attract you with cheap fuel, but know you'll use the supermarket 9/10 you go there and charge you 1 million pounds for a Mars bar.

Or they bought a full warehouse full of it, got a huge discount for buying in extreme bulk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Artimus
Donot overtighten the plastic cap. O seal ensures it's not necessary.

4 litres of 507 spec fully syn oil from JTF stores is about £24 .

on some there's a little button, which pressed releases the residue oil in the filter element.

There is also a "special tool" (read hose with a plastic coupling) that screws into oil filter cap to drain the oil out of the filter housing prior to removal. Of course you don't need it if you don't mind some clean up work.

Yup, that's what the tool presses in. Saves having to use a screwdriver/drift/similar.

It can be Shell, but it has to be Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30, it has the VW norm 504.00, 507.00..

Yeah buddi. £27 5l ! Not bad, ordered myself 10L at that price.

Is it an actual 36mm socket then? I'm drained and haven't got a socket big enough ha! On my way to an auto factors (y)

Been and bought one! £10:80 :) easy enough, the filter draining system makes everything allot less messy! :)

do you know what size the crush washer is for the sump plug?