Whats the best product for polishing

mac1403

Reaction score
Just wondered what other people on here use as polish/sealer etc when they use a random buffer. I have a Porter cable, but can't get on with the polish the supplied (enzet) Had a respray on the bonnet a year or so ago, bad choice as he mixed his own paint and never got it right. They were a very reputable body shop, but did a ***** job and the bonnet looks milky when compared to the rest. Has anyone had any good results from a particular product. By the way i use meguires if I do it by hand :)

I'd try the megs 3 stage. Get everything off with stage one, and then have a go(or a few go's) with the stage 2 polish. Finish it off with the carnuba wax.

I use Megs #80 with the PC. Then seal it with Poorboys EX-P then wax with P21s.

If your working with Audi paint and trying to remove swirl marks or light scratches then you should look at the Menzerna line of polishes.

Audi paint is amongst some of the hardest paints in the automotive world which makes defect removal very difficult.

With the 4 inch spot pads I find Menzerna Powergloss is able to remove swirl marks on my A4 with some very slow and careful work. This is a long job mind.

I've bought myself a Metabo rotary polisher and find I am able to remove swirls easier than I could with the PC. The only downside is that a rotary polisher is a little trickier to master than a PC (not that i've even come close to mastering it yet) and you can induce problems easier than you can with the PC (such as burning your paint).

If you want a bit more indepth advice on polishing and cleaning your car I am a member of detailingworld.co.uk and we are very happy to offer advice and help you out.

If you join, mention me in the referrals section when you create your account! (Neil_S)

Neil_S said:
If your working with Audi paint and trying to remove swirl marks or light scratches then you should look at the Menzerna line of polishes.

Audi paint is amongst some of the hardest paints in the automotive world which makes defect removal very difficult.

With the 4 inch spot pads I find Menzerna Powergloss is able to remove swirl marks on my A4 with some very slow and careful work. This is a long job mind.

I've bought myself a Metabo rotary polisher and find I am able to remove swirls easier than I could with the PC. The only downside is that a rotary polisher is a little trickier to master than a PC (not that i've even come close to mastering it yet) and you can induce problems easier than you can with the PC (such as burning your paint).

If you want a bit more indepth advice on polishing and cleaning your car I am a member of detailingworld.co.uk and we are very happy to offer advice and help you out.

If you join, mention me in the referrals section when you create your account! (Neil_S)

Totally agree Neil!

I originally tried the megs #83 for removing the swirls from my S3 but failed miserably..

That menzerna stuff is ideal for this. As my car is now swirl free, I'm just using the #80 as a glaze.

I'm also a member of detailingworld.co.uk and I urge anyone who is passionate about keeping their motor in top condition to sign up!

Cheers
Rich.

A number of suppliers in the UK mate. Try Tim at Cleanyourcar.co.uk

Best to drop him a mail or give him a call and he will advise you on what products to get.

He stocks both the standard Menzerna range of polishes (Powergloss, Intensive Polish, Final Finish Polish) and the new Professional range of Menzerna polishes (Intensive Polish 3.01 and Final Finish).

The new professional range are designed for ceramiclear paints as found on the new Mercedes Benz range and others (Rolls Royce). These paints are very hard, they are sometimes termed "scratch resistant paints".

The pro polishes have much harder, but smaller abrassives and it has been found that these work better on harder paint such as that found on Audi's.

I've not had a chance to try out my Professional polishes yet.

One thing I am also told is that the Professional polishes dust alot less than the standard polishes, you'll also find the standard polishes dry very quickly. Too quickly to effectively work on Audi's.

I can heartily recommend you visit detailingworld and have a look in the guides section, particularly the slow cut method and Menzerna polishes. This method allows you to work the standard polishes alot longer (by using some Quik Detailer as a lube), this does work well and I have had success with this on my Audi using Powergloss.