What's the deal with the 40 TFSI?

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Refugee from the A3 8V forum here - possibly looking to replace with an A4 Avant.

One thing that I really can't figure out right now is what the **** is going on with the 40 TFSI engine.
Is it 190PS or 204PS, or both?!

The Audi website says the 40 TFSI is 204PS, however just about every other source/site I can find says it's 190PS.

It seems as if it used to be 190PS but has been upgraded to 204PS at some point but I literally can't find anything definitive on this. There are print and Youtube reviews from Jan this year which still claim it's a 190PS unit. Even the A4 Wikipedia page has no mention of a 204PS unit.

What's going on? Does anyone know what the actual deal is?

A concern here is that, as the dealers lots are full of unsold cars after a year of pandemic, if I order one of these I'd end up with a car which, whilst 'new', was actually manufactured a while ago with an older model year and lesser engine.

Definitely 204ps now, the differences between to the two hardly make a lot of difference though...

Thanks, just wish I could find something definitive about exactly when this switch took place. As I said, even the Wiki page has no mention of this engine which seems odd. I think the 45 TFSI has also been upgraded from 245 to 265PS or something like that.

Correct, both engines were different from each other though. Early European 190ps's had two injectors per cylinder, I don't know if that's changed or not..

All seems so 'murky' though. I can't find any official announcements about the new engines or when they were introduced, what the technical differences are (if any) aside from the power changes and even very recent reviews seem to be claiming the engine is 190PS and I don't even know whether to believe them or not - maybe they don't even realise they have a 204PS unit?!

The 2.0l engine has been dropped from many other VAG models though, Maybe it isn't murky just their efforts to get to the correct emissions. Personally I wouldn't read too much into it.
As for reviews being technically accurate, well...

I thought it was fairly widely discussed here re the MY2021 changes to the A4.

You could certainly see the change from 190bhp to 204 shown on the Audi configuration.

If buying a new car from a dealer as for the spec sheet on the car you are looking at

If it says MY20 then it's a 190 and MY21 then it's 204

Production changed in July 20 , so to be sure any car from August on build date would be a MY21.

Driving them I'd hazard a guess you would not know the 2 apart if you didn't know the visual differences.

However certainy not murkey it was very clear from Audi.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
If it says MY20 then it's a 190 and MY21 then it's 204

Production changed in July 20 , so to be sure any car from August on build date would be a MY21.

Second this exactly. My new yet to be delivered 40TFSI will be the new 204hp version - MY21.

Reactions: harvsurrey
Ok thanks for the input & clarification guys.

You're right that Audi themselves are clear the 40 TFSI is 204PS now, I was referring to how odd it is that everywhere else seems to still be oblivious to the change.

As long as the change coincides with the MY2021 then that's easy enough to check. I'll go search for a list of the other MY2021 changes while I'm at it - I hear wireless Carplay is also working on this model now.

Ok thanks for the input & clarification guys.

You're right that Audi themselves are clear the 40 TFSI is 204PS now, I was referring to how odd it is that everywhere else seems to still be oblivious to the change.

As long as the change coincides with the MY2021 then that's easy enough to check. I'll go search for a list of the other MY2021 changes while I'm at it - I hear wireless Carplay is also working on this model now.
Wireless CarPlay is a feature of MY2021 model and works very well.

Wireless CarPlay is a feature of MY2021 model and works very well.

Cool thanks.

I've been driving various A3 models for 18 years now but it's time to change and this time I'm thinking about something a bit larger, more practical and cheaper to buy/run/insure :)

Reactions: cuke2u