What's the easiest way to change spark plugs in a S3?

CycleSi

Reaction score
I want to change the spark plugs in my S3 2002 225bhp, but I have read they are not that accessible.

What is the best/easiest way to change them.

I'm going for NGK PFR6Q gapped to 0.8mm.

Cheers.....

In a word - NO.

I'm reasonably competent mechanically wise - I also have a 6.7 litre V8 nitrous injected Chevy in my AC Cobra so changing 4 plugs should be straight forwards !!!

SonicDeathmonkey said:
thought about taking it to the stealer?

I have to say that was my first thought. Or at least an independant.

It doesn't matter how competent you are, people still **** it up. The worst that can happen is that you cross thread the putty like aluminium head.

just use a length of rubber hose to gently remove them, and to re-insert and locate them.

goes without saying not to overtighten them, tighten to 30Nm.

2 are easy to get to (1 and 2) , 2 are partially covered by hoses, a valve and other crap (3 and 4). Luckily its all fixed to a bracket, so just undo it and hold the lot to one side.

If you have one of the flexible spark plug remover thingy's then they are reasonably easy to do - in saying that it took me 10 mins a plug until the last one which proved to be a right bar steward and took about 2 hours to get

plus much swearing

Eh? Why are there so many replies with no real input??

Right, the spark plugs are INCREDIBLY easy to get to on an S3.

The leads are even of a length that means you can't get them mixed up and plug them in wrong.

You do need a spark plug wrench.

and 4x £3.50 NGK or Bosch plugs.

Should take you no longer than 10 minutes total.

I'll go into ELSA and make a PDF later if no-one does before this afternoon (I'm going out all day) but it really is very, very simple.

CycleSi said:
Are they easy to find. Do I have to remove anything to get to them?

Very easy to find, plastic engine cover off, then you'll see the coil packs, take the stuff that's in the way of coils 3,4 off (it will move enough once unbolted to be okay) then remove the coils and you'll see the plugs.

Dave_Bayern said:
Eh? Why are there so many replies with no real input??

Right, the spark plugs are INCREDIBLY easy to get to on an S3.

The leads are even of a length that means you can't get them mixed up and plug them in wrong.

You do need a spark plug wrench.

and 4x £3.50 NGK or Bosch plugs.

Should take you no longer than 10 minutes total.

I'll go into ELSA and make a PDF later if no-one does before this afternoon (I'm going out all day) but it really is very, very simple.

I'm not jumping down your throat, but your total wealth of input was suggesting that it's so easy all you need is a spark plug wrench - as opposed to what? a teapot? More useful input would have been:

1. remove engine cover - by removing oil cap, then quarter turning two front screw on engine cover, then lifting slightly and pulling towards the front of car to un-locate rear lugs - ensure plastic bushes dont fall out of cover and into engine bay (else cover will rattle and **** you off).

2. Undo 2 5mm allen bolts and 2 regular bolts from vacuum canister assembly, and either push out of the way, or disconnect the lot - being very careful - the heat in this area is really nasty - and the wires around here can get really brittle. Mess it up, and it'll be a headache to say the least.

3. pull off the coilpack on the plug you're changing, there are no screws on the coilpacks on your BAM engine.

4. using a 6" extension, unscrew the plug.

5. either using the hose technique, or the spark plug adapter, CAREFULLY locate the new plug on the thread.

6. Tighten to 30Nm.

7. Push coilpack back onto plug.

8. repeat for other 3 plugs.

9. replace vacuum canister and hoses.

10 replace engine cover, careful when tightening front screws (again 1 quarter turn in either direction) - make sure that they go in properly, else they'll snap - which really ****** you off.

11. replace oil cap.

12. look at your watch and think, damn, that didnt take 10 minutes.

Sorry to bump such an old thread guys, but I have just returned from my local Stealers with 4 new coilpacks, and 4 plugs.

How do you know when you've tightened to '30Nm'?! Am I missing a special gauge here?

My S3 has the revo map, I've read the gap should be about 0.28!? (0.7mm?!?) How do I determine this?!

Thanks

lol, now I feel silly.

of course!

my plan of action for tonight then is:

Fini work > Halfords > PostOffice > Haircut > Coilpacks!

Halfords wil sell all other plugs/sockets I require won't they?

thanks abdus

yeah, you will get the sockets there :)

I have the 150 piece kit. Don't need anything else for general works on the car

Also have the 150 piece set, its often in the sale at 99.99. does 90% of the jobs just need a breaking bar to go with it. The gap should be set already on the new plugs.

Thanks guys.. I'm sure my Step-Dad has his own set at home kicking around somewhere.. Still, best to get my own kit for piece of mind!

Okay, so a decent torque wrench, all the sockets and a 60mm extention?!

Anyone local to Newark that fancies a friday night in with me helping to change my plugs? You're more than welcome
thumb.gif

lol if you where up near huddersfield I`d have done them for you, or showed you how but your a bit far away and I wnat beer at 5 lol

get a halfords trade card :p

20% off on all professional range tools

I would have used Bosch Platinum f5dp0r spark plugs, no one above

lol if you where up near huddersfield I`d have done them for you, or showed you how but your a bit far away and I wnat beer at 5 lol

CLICK HERE and you can have your 5o'clock beer in your very own free Grolsch glass :)

I think I'll get on alright, just need to get the tools!!

they should be fine I use NGK`s from GSF.

already done the Grolsh thing cheers :)

Screwfix also do torque wrenches for under 20 quid as do machine mart

Screwfix also do torque wrenches for under 20 quid as do machine mart

they do!? HUZZAH. I'm based opposite the road to a ScrewFix, infact.. their catalogue is in here somewhere *has a look around..*

hmm. there is a 32 piece 1/2" socket set (w/spark plug sockets) for £34.99. Seems, ok? Failing that, theres the "STAR BUY" wrench that is £12.49 and has a range of 20-150lb/ft. 28-210Nm.

If I said I wasn't confused, I'd be lying.

It depends on how much you are going to be doing on your car now and in the future. The Halfords Professional stuff is fairly expensive (cheap compaired to Snapon) but has a lifetime warranty. Some stuff I've had for 10 years and I haven't managed to break any yet. I have managed to break a cheaper 3/8" extension and numerous other sockets. To me its worth paying the money and buying something that will last but I do spend quite a lot of time playing with / fixing cars.

Wise words Jon, wise words indeed.

Well, here I am.. I've fitted the four plugs, and put the new coilpacks in place of the old ones. Simple! Well, kinda. Had a bit of a hiccup with the sparkies.. the extention/socket I brought, was far too big. They're v.small and narrow these here S3 plugs, more so than usual ones I've seen? No? Luckily, I was able to use find a long socket, and pack it out with hose on the inner so that it caught the plug as I lifted it out.

Initial reactions after a quick drive.. "Hmm..." I think it still lacks something. I was hoping there would be a mssive difference, I obviously havn't seen it. Seemed to kick well in second gear but kinda the same (effortless...) in the rest.

Heres my story from when I changed the plugs.. (I thought I'd document it.. random)

First off, take off the plastic covering, remove the bracket thats held on with x3 allen keys bolts and x2 10mm nuts, lift out coilpacks et voila:
37c88c86.jpg

In with new sparkplugs (after making my own socket with some hosing inside.. (the audi sparkplugs were tiny compared to the socket I brought!?))
be701186.jpg

Pop on new coilpacks. Re-install black bracket:
07d13298.jpg

at this point, I noticed my engine was indeed, an AMK:
57196bed.jpg

5aac28e7.jpg

One of the hoses coming off the DV was a bit, 'close to the end'? So, losening it, I repositioned and tightened it a bit further up
f1a2ca03.jpg

now at this point, i dropped my screwdriver. I couldn't get my hand down there, I had to bang the catch tray peice at the bottem to somewhere where I could reach round and grab it. No joy.. However I noticed this!
e3c04232.jpg

Ha! Thank god for that.. Retreiving this took about 10 minutes!

A bit of a clean up and we're good to go.

3c5903ad.jpg

b99e69f6.jpg

c21235ab.jpg

I can't so much say I have noticed an immediate difference.. but looking at the old plugs, it was certainly a worth while cause.

b39faf90.jpg

Following Fran-S3's advise I am going to get the car booked in at APS for a checkover.. a few fault code sessions and tweaking. Fingers crossed heh!

lol! it was from the sony erricoson. It's all very well using the big camera when I'm valeting, but I'd rather not get greasy/oily prints all over it.

I was impressed. Probably the most mechanical thing I've done.. lol