Whats the prefered engine of choice for the B7 Avant.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A while ago i started a thread titled " Saloon Or Avant, Which Is The Better Looking ....and I'm Biased Anyway. " and the response was very good and did indicate a preference for the avant variant.
After reading a lot more threads since then it seemed a logical next step to ask the following question, so here it is.
Whats the prefered power plant for the avant or maybe whats the prefered choice in your avant.
Now to make it a bit more of a choice, disregard the fuel consumption factor, just base it on all other areas etc and come to a descision from there.

For me it does have to be the tfsi unit and in the 220bhp format, but for me the tfsi power plant makes the avant for me a brilliant car, hot hatch performance etc in a big car without big engine expenses, fuel consumption is not really relavant as i like to use all the engine performance , not just pootle around ...

i think the tfsi is a clear winner , but i may be surprised.

Well, I'm biased, obviously, but as a petrol lover of some 35+ years standing, I cannot put into words what an astonishing engine the 3.0TDi V6 is. If torque is your thing, this is the engine for you.

Reactions: jabba
If I could afford it....and the engine was in good nick, I would have an S4 V8 manual in a heartbeat.....if I had even more cash I splash out on B8 S4 Manual 3.0 with a remap.......Happy days!

BR
A

Reactions: Neil2014
A good friend of mine has a lovely blue 2007 rs4 avant, popped round today for a cuppa and had a run out in it, and to be honest its, awsome.:cool::):icon thumright:, i know its not really fair to campare it with lesser A4's etc but given the choice here and now, i'd opt for an B7 RS4 avant without question.
He has just taken delivery of a new RS6 avant , had a blat in that too but didnt really seem to be as good, loads of kit and power just lacked something .
anyway i'm hoping to try a 3.2 FSI avant this week and a 3.0 diesel to get some more comparisons, problem now is that i'm smitten with the RS4.....and my special edition seems a bit underpowered now:(.
anyway, less of this.:)

Let's be honest, we would all love to have the rs models but who the hell can afford to run one?

I know I certainly couldn't, not even the petrol let alone any parts or servicing.

When can you realistically use all those horses anyway...

One can dream I suppose :3sadwalk:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
yep, its that dreaded running cost again, but then again current pricing for a good rs4 avant is not really that bad, age wise they may not be new now but a fair few good ones are less than 18k , which , is less than a lot of ordinary new car prices.
And if you totalled up the total cost of your current A4 plus all the extras and other cost with it you'd be surpised how much you have spent.
Anyway, i'll stick with my tfsi as an rs4 is way to good to put the woofers in, and i also dont have any surplus cash at present.

Running an RS4 is not as bad as you think.

Fuel cost will be higher if you live and drive in a city but on the motorway there very good.
Repairs are not to bad if you are prepared to turn the spanner yourself and I'm someone who came from a life of 1.8T's. like all cars the RS4 as its gremlins but I would not sell her for a second plus I got mine for a bargain.

And servicing was way easier than the 1.8T

I've set myself the goal / dream of owning the current RS6. So maybe after 5 or 6 years I may find one that I could afford :p

I was planning to do a B6 to B7 RS4 conversion like I did with my old b5 1.8Tq to RS4 conversion and had collected most the parts when this RS4 for £11,750 came up for grabs so it was a no brainer.

An easy call......... if running costs weren't a factor it would be the big ol' 4.2 V8 no question......

So, when I was looking for mine, I was torn 3 ways between the S4, the 2.0Tfsi and the 3.0 Tdi V6. Sadly day to day running costs are a factor which I can't justify in ignoring, so the S4 was sidelined - for now anyway !

Which brought it down to the big diesel and the 2.0T, the last 2 motors I had were diesels and fancied something away from the diesel darkside for a change. My wifes little 1.2 Tfsi Ibiza is a blast to drive so It kinda sealed the decision for me and having driven both engines (manual gearbox) in the A4 the 2.0T got my vote

Since buying mine I had chance to drive a mapped 3.0 Tdi v6 coupled with an auto box, now if there was ever something to lure my back to a dirty diesel that'd be it ! It was just so effortlessly rapid and sounded the biz too (sure it was a milltech system on it)

So all in all, cards on the table, I'm splitting my vote between the 2.0T and the 3.0Tdi ......or is that a spoilt ballot paper ? :D

Reactions: Charlie Farley
yep, that big 4.2 V8 is wicked:cool:, but the the 2.0tfsi does tick a lot of boxes to be honest:icon thumright::).
A lot of peeps rave about diesels etc but i'm just not a big fan of them, never have been and probably never will be, i'd use one it it was given to me or it was acompany car but i'd never buy as a personal choice, i just prefer the petrol engine in a car.
Everyone to there own.
and no you can only choose one and as you put the tfsi first then thats it...:p;)

Well Rob, In reality, I guess I voted 2.0Tfsi with my wallet, so as the invidulator is cracking down on voting irregularities........ 2.0T it is :p

It does tick a lot of boxes, you're right, I'm sure once it's visited R-Tech it will tick a few more too ;)

3.0 tdi Quattro, proper handling car and can upset and surprise a few other cars who don't expect it!

now i do like a bit of temptation, what with this and the DTM for sale on here, i'm going into audi meltdown now, thanks for links.

3.0 tdi Quattro, proper handling car and can upset and surprise a few other cars who don't expect it!
If you think the 3.0 tdi is a handler then you need to take a drive in a s4/rs4 model ! I do have a b6 s4 and i am a diesel head through and trough, however the 4.2 engine is a peach and with fuel prices dropping (only costs me 65 quid for a tank full !) it makes sense to drive petrol !

If you think the 3.0 tdi is a handler then you need to take a drive in a s4/rs4 model ! I do have a b6 s4 and i am a diesel head through and trough, however the 4.2 engine is a peach and with fuel prices dropping (only costs me 65 quid for a tank full !) it makes sense to drive petrol !
Am I right in thinking the 4.2 V8 is all-aluminium, like the old Rover V8?

Am I right in thinking the 4.2 V8 is all-aluminium, like the old Rover V8?
now youre showing your age, "old rover" .;)
I used to have a nice 2001 MG ZTT 180 (V6) estate a few years back , a nice car really just a shame it get labelled an old mans car:(.

now youre showing your age, "old rover" .;)
I used to have a nice 2001 MG ZTT 180 (V6) estate a few years back , a nice car really just a shame it get labelled an old mans car:(.
I meant "old" in the context of how long the Rover V8 had been around. Bearing in mind it started life as a Buick engine in around 1961/62, then sold to Rover who first put it into use around 1966, I think it qualifies as old. Put it another way, it's the same age as me.