What's this? a Audi Golf RS-R3?

I'm a die hard Audi fan and loved my S3's. I've driven both pre and facelift RS3 and they are amazing, but I still feel it's all about the engine.

Now, if VW roll out an uber Golf with the 2.5 lump I'll be all over it like a horrific rash. I'm currently in the facelift Golf GTI and I am still overwhelmed at the build quality and standard spec. Alright, it's the GTI model, but standard spec and in my eyes, value for money, it's miles ahead of the equivalent Audi.

For the same spec options which are standard on the GTI, I priced up a 2.0T A3 and the options were near £3.5k extra. I don't have leather, just the Mk1 throw back tartan seats. And they're freakin' awesome.

Bearing in mind the R is the direct competition for the S3, VW currently do not have a RS3 equivalent car. A R400 or R420, 2.5 or huge boost 2.0T, I'd certainly be going to VW as opposed to Audi.

I didn't like the tartan seats when I had a look at one, prefer the standard heated leather seats on the S3. Personally I had the choice between the R and S3 and thought the better interior, MMI/virtual cockpit software and residuals (based on what we saw with the PFL R and S3) of the S3 made it the better choice. The Golf R has a better steering feel though. The real choice was between the S3 and GTI Clubsport and I wish I test drove the clubsport before I bought the S3 even though it has the PFL interior and tech. A possible Golf R400 would only interest me if it was like the Clubsport in terms of exterior/interior styling and a special edition like feel.

If they release a R400 it will be a tuned 2 litre, not a chance it will be the RS3 engine.

TX.

Reactions: FBF01
The next A45 AMG is rumoured to have a 4 cylinder 400 BHP engine too. Surely that's the limit of 4 cylinder engines or are we going to see 450-500BHP ones too??

The next A45 AMG is rumoured to have a 4 cylinder 400 BHP engine too. Surely that's the limit of 4 cylinder engines or are we going to see 450-500BHP ones too??
An awful awful hairdryer of a car. A friend's got one and now needs a new gearbox. Can't imagine reliability will be great on a 400hp 2litre. Will be a right screamer !!

Reactions: AudiNutta
If they release a R400 it will be a tuned 2 litre, not a chance it will be the RS3 engine.

TX.
Now now T, you sound as sure as you did about a FL RS3 not being released in 2017!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Terminator x
Ha ha I said not in 2016 if you look back and then yes not 2017 either although was less sure tbf. I did say no sportback though :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta and D0C
Well it could be a 2.5 litre 4 cylinder too, like the one Porsche put in the new boxster/cayman.

An awful awful hairdryer of a car. A friend's got one and now needs a new gearbox. Can't imagine reliability will be great on a 400hp 2litre. Will be a right screamer !!
wait wait wait...

We have at home 2 RS3 8V PFL, 1 from 2015 and the other one from 2016.

2016 had the mechatronic changed due to harsh functioning...
the new mechatronic didn't change the harsh changes so after 1 month complaining ,AUDI changed the complete DQ500.

now everything is fine.

So ,after 1 year owning the car from new, 10-2016 the car has been 9 weeks in the workshop for brake and gearbox issues. ( 3 sets of discs and pads )

the unit from 2015 has been flawless except for the common brake issues. ( 3 sets of discs and pads ).

regards

wait wait wait...

We have at home 2 RS3 8V PFL, 1 from 2015 and the other one from 2016.

2016 had the mechatronic changed due to harsh functioning...
the new mechatronic didn't change the harsh changes so after 1 month complaining ,AUDI changed the complete DQ500.

now everything is fine.

So ,after 1 year owning the car from new, 10-2016 the car has been 9 weeks in the workshop for brake and gearbox issues. ( 3 sets of discs and pads )

the unit from 2015 has been flawless except for the common brake issues. ( 3 sets of discs and pads ).

regards
Can you elaborate on your problems with the DQ-500 'box? The reason I ask is that I find mine clunky and they are going to look at it when it goes in for its service next week. I've also got a FL for the day so will be able to see if it's smoother.

Can you elaborate on your problems with the DQ-500 'box? The reason I ask is that I find mine clunky and they are going to look at it when it goes in for its service next week. I've also got a FL for the day so will be able to see if it's smoother.
So far so good (touch wood !) with the FL, gear changes are smooth and not clunky.

So far so good (touch wood !) with the FL, gear changes are smooth and not clunky.

My problems were:

1. in 2nd gear at near idle speed the car seemed to stall and revs were going up & down.
2. in 3-4-5 gear if I was cruising at 2000-2500rpm and then make a hard acceleration in Manual mode there was a hard clonk coming from the DSG.
3. harsh downshifts from 6->5->4->3 gears.

This gearbox is so clunky in all scenarios... in traffic, driving slow or fast, up and down the gears, basically everywhere. Sometimes I think I have an old BMW SMG, or Ferrari F1 gearbox. I tried lot of dct gearboxes and this is the worst by far.

Get it booked in mate. The gear changes on these stronic boxes should be seamless and smooth in normal automatic or D mode. When in manual they are a little bit notchy but nothing how you describe yours as.

Reactions: mz21
In D the gearbox is ok but not as smooth as Porsche PDK or Golf R DSG, even my new Renault Alpine A110 has a better DCT gearbox!

In manual the gear changes are brutal.

I went to Audi and they checked for software updates and faults and told me that everything is ok.

Yeah not sure why its like that. My gearbox changes are smooth too and I'm pretty sure the S3 has the same gearbox as the Golf R DSG.

One thing about the GolF R I disliked (except for the lack of noise) is the difference between'race' mode compared to Audi 'dynamic' mode when used in Auto. The VW seems to hold at high Revs for much longer before changing up, you could use the paddle but it would often downshift again.