Wheel alignment

Flosman

Reaction score
Could someone help explain this to me had MOT. Done couple days ago only thing needed was 2 new front tyres all replaced off I go tacking was out while wheel is central pulled to the right so I got tracking done twice still the same so I popped into stealer-ship for a free check he gave me this said may be suspension and wanted to charge to £80-£100 to sort the job I laughed took my keys and drove away £80 better off but my tracking is still out was fine before the 2 tyres went on nothing else has changed

28b20e6e29edea7efa363f7b5ca81fc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would of paid the £80 tbh

Reactions: Flosman
Is the car lowered ? . Have you checked the ride height on all 4 corners.

Not sure abit it being lowered unless previous owner did will find out will find out and pay for the tracking to be done

Could someone help explain this to me had MOT. Done couple days ago only thing needed was 2 new front tyres all replaced off I go tacking was out while wheel is central pulled to the right so I got tracking done twice still the same so I popped into stealer-ship for a free check he gave me this said may be suspension and wanted to charge to £80-£100 to sort the job I laughed took my keys and drove away £80 better off but my tracking is still out was fine before the 2 tyres went on nothing else has changed

I'd guess at a bush on its way out somewhere, maybe a ball joint - any advisories? Having the suspension on full droop to take the wheels off or constantly compressed depending how the lifted/jacked it may have attained it a tad so it showed up after the tyre change.

What's the factory toe settings supposed to be? Ottomh looks like a little more tow out might be in order, but not sure what it should be on an A3.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

I'd guess at a bush on its way out somewhere, maybe a ball joint - any advisories? Having the suspension on full droop to take the wheels off or constantly compressed depending how the lifted/jacked it may have attained it a tad so it showed up after the tyre change.

What's the factory toe settings supposed to be? Ottomh looks like a little more tow out might be in order, but not sure what it should be on an A3.

No advisories on my mot I’ll get a mechanic to take a look at the suspension not sure if it has anything to do with this but rear driver side always scrapes inside of the arch when going over speed bumps or hard cornering

Who did the 4 wheel printout? Was that the dealer? If so 80-100 pound is reasonable if that would have corrected it.
You'd want to take it to a good independant place that does 4 wheel alignment as they will then tell you what is making it do what it's doing, but you will have to pay for the alignment and then pay for whatever work needs doing to correct it which will probably cost you more than £80.

Who did the 4 wheel printout? Was that the dealer? If so 80-100 pound is reasonable if that would have corrected it.
You'd want to take it to a good independant place that does 4 wheel alignment as they will then tell you what is making it do what it's doing, but you will have to pay for the alignment and then pay for whatever work needs doing to correct it which will probably cost you more than £80.

Good price I think I’ll get it sorted then go from there this was done by kwik fit they give a free check with the Morden machines they have get this done first thing in the morning keep you updated

Good price I think I’ll get it sorted then go from there this was done by kwik fit they give a free check with the Morden machines they have get this done first thing in the morning keep you updated

Don't be fooled by the bling machines, an old hand with some string and a tape measure will do a better job than any fast fit monkey with a few hours training on the latest gadget.

I've only just seen this reply. I do hope you haven't been to Kwikfit again, please tell me you haven't. I have to go there with my company van and they're absolute clowns.

Like I said above you need to take it to an independent place that does 4 wheel alignment as they do it Day in day out and will know a hell of a lot more than anyway Kwikfit.
It may not be cheap to go somewhere independent but you tend to get what you pay for.
Just do a bit of research online and you'll find a decent place

I've only just seen this reply. I do hope you haven't been to Kwikfit again, please tell me you haven't. I have to go there with my company van and they're absolute clowns.

Like I said above you need to take it to an independent place that does 4 wheel alignment as they do it Day in day out and will know a hell of a lot more than anyway Kwikfit.
It may not be cheap to go somewhere independent but you tend to get what you pay for.
Just do a bit of research online and you'll find a decent place

Cheers man I backed out of going there the phone conversation alone put me off trying to find some as of yesterday thanks

Is it pulling to the right on a flat road (no road crown/slope/camber)?

Those numbers are actually not bad if you want handling optimised for performance whilst still being in or close to manufacturers recommended range - a little more rear toe would be good...
Left front (yellow) -1 degree 13 minutes - just inside range -1 degree and 16 minutes being maximum recommended -ve camber
Right front (red) -1 degree 30 minutes - 14 minutes (1/4 a degree) outside recommended maximum -ve camber (ideally a touch less but not huge)
Everything else at the front is ok
Rear camber both sides is *just* outside recommended range (5 and 6 minutes is <= 1/10 of one degree) - as near as makes no difference!
Rear toe is 5 minutes outside spec and 15 minutes (1/4 degree) from middle of range across the 2 wheels (1/8 degree per wheel) - ideally a little more toe-out both to be in spec and for mid-corner stability.

For max cornering performance without undue/uneven tyre wear the high end of manufacturers range for -ve camber F&R, front caster & rear toe out is a good start. If you are regularly taking the car on track days etc then something a bit more radical might be wanted.

Reactions: Flosman
Is it pulling to the right on a flat road (no road crown/slope/camber)?

Those numbers are actually not bad if you want handling optimised for performance whilst still being in or close to manufacturers recommended range - a little more rear toe would be good...
Left front (yellow) -1 degree 13 minutes - just inside range -1 degree and 16 minutes being maximum recommended -ve camber
Right front (red) -1 degree 30 minutes - 14 minutes (1/4 a degree) outside recommended maximum -ve camber (ideally a touch less but not huge)
Everything else at the front is ok
Rear camber both sides is *just* outside recommended range (5 and 6 minutes is <= 1/10 of one degree) - as near as makes no difference!
Rear toe is 5 minutes outside spec and 15 minutes (1/4 degree) from middle of range across the 2 wheels (1/8 degree per wheel) - ideally a little more toe-out both to be in spec and for mid-corner stability.

For max cornering performance without undue/uneven tyre wear the high end of manufacturers range for -ve camber F&R, front caster & rear toe out is a good start. If you are regularly taking the car on track days etc then something a bit more radical might be wanted.

Cheers great info

54189f0f52ce20a9a4b1d11063188820.jpg

Just to update got tracking done again this is the result still pulling I’m gonna put this down to the tyres on the front mid range not same as the back as they were advisories on the mot so I’m going to get some decent tyres any recommendations it’s a 235/35/19 then see how I got from there thanks again for the info