Wheel bearing? Easy? knocking noise

S3featesV9

Reaction score
still in process of trying to sort out my rear knocking noise, done drop links as advised by Audi in the health check. and its still doing it.

so thinking about changing the rear wheel bearings, just wondering is it something i can do on the driveway on axle stands? or is it a garage jobbie?

also anything else i could replace whilst at it?

Cheers guys

Requires a special tool iirc as they are pressed in.... they are a sealed unit bearing...

I have only ever done front bearings and they require a press, from what I remember reading the one time I looked at it the rears can be done in situe but will need tools...

Here is a link to doing the fronts for a reference...
VWVortex.com - Wheel Bearing and Hub Replacement DIY

<tuffty/>

Ive got a right rear end knocking, its loud as hell, only started after i fitted my coilovers bit i know a wheel bearig has gone as i can hear it squelling lol.

Only happens if do a sharp left hand bend, like most roundabouts. I didn't think wheel bearings made a knocking noise but I'm stuck on what else it could be.

Knocking from the rear when loading up around corners is almost always the drop links...

Sealed type wheel bearings don't tend to knock unless you have a more serious issue... jacking up the rear so the wheel is off the ground with the handbrake off and rocking top/bottom then side to side should give an indication of the wheel bearings state... usually only moves on roller bearings, not seen a sealed unit do it yet...

Tie bar can be check by grabbing it and pulling it back and forth towards the inside of the car rather than front to back... best done with both rear wheels off the ground so the ARB isn't loaded up...

<tuffty/>

Changed the drop links for brand new ones, any ideas?

just had a quote from a local garage to replace nearside wheel bearing at £95. sound fair?

or is there something else i can do before forking out nearly £100?

Drop links make a light knocking noise over uneven ground. Knocking when taking corners could be the exhaust system hitted due to old and worn rubbers. Also check the anti-roll bar 'mounts', worn rear trailing arm bushes or rear broken springs.
Let us know would you get on mate.

An you buy powerflex exhaust bushes or are oem best?

If that is the issue then oem ones work well, most mk4/8L platform cars still have the same exhaust rubbers they came with from birth.

I'd never put a knock down to a wheel bearing, they whir and whine.

I have a knock after fitting an r32 arb but i know its drop links as they flop around loose as a hooker when not connected.
Im rebushing the whole rear end tomoro so ezpext a write up in my thread.