Wheel bearing???

holderd

Reaction score
Right then guys a newb needs some help...

I've recently noticed a whirring noise while I'm driving. I can only hear it below 40mph and it happens in or out of gear. It sounds like its coming from the rear (although I can't pinpoint which corner) and the speed of the noise increases with road speed. It sounds louder on different road surfaces (although I can't work out if thats because a smoother, quieter road makes it easier to hear). I cant tell if it gets louder with a change of direction.

The rear tyres are the ones that were already on it when I first got the car (cheap rubbish with 2mm on one and about 2.5mm on the other). I cant see any weird or strange wear on the tread pattern...

I've jacked the car up and rotated the rear hubs. One has no sound and one sounds like the brakes are catching slightly (nothing drastic at all) and theres no movement in the hubs when I rock the wheels.

Where do I go from here guys?

Has anyone had the rear wheel bearings replaced on a 1.6 before and if so how much should I expect to pay?:(

Thanks in advance folks.

first thing i would do is swap tyres from to back to eliminate tyre noise.

if noise is unchanged it will almost certainly be wheel bearings noise under load.

first thing i would do is swap tyres from to back to eliminate tyre noise.

if noise is unchanged it will almost certainly be wheel bearings noise under load.

Nice one, thanks. I'll crack on with that first thing tomorrow.

So if the noise is unchanged what do you reckon I will pay for a new wheel bearing. I've never had to have one replaced before (esp at 46k!).

i would put money on it being the tyres as i run a tyre depot i see this problem every day.
let me know how you get on.

Philip

that are basic symmetrical tyres

Well they're useless and need replacing anyway regardless of wheel bearing state. I'm still going to swap them around as advised to prepare me for the size of the payday outlay. Thanks for the advise Phillip, top bloke!

Does anyone know what a wheel bearing will set me back??? I've heard its quite an expensive job and I'm not at my most flush at the moment.

i would put money on it being the tyres as i run a tyre depot i see this problem every day.
let me know how you get on.

Philip

Sorted, its one of the tyres- phew! I took the suspect wheel off and put the spacesaver on for a quick drive and no noise :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting some new tyres come payday, what would you get if you had about £130 to spend on a pair excluding fitting (bearing in mind it looks like summers gone)? 205 55 r16 V

Thanks again,

Dan