Wheel bolts

PorscheBishop

Reaction score
Should any part of the wheel bolt be lubricated?
Car goes into the main dealers tomorrow because I can't shift any of the wheel bolts - even with a 3ft breaker bar!
Now I know they had at least 2 wheels off less than month ago and torque setting is not that great so I'm assuming that they are either seized or massively over tightened. Porsche recommend Optimolly on the threads but not on the domed seating face, don't see why Audi should be different.

Should any part of the wheel bolt be lubricated?
Car goes into the main dealers tomorrow because I can't shift any of the wheel bolts - even with a 3ft breaker bar!
Now I know they had at least 2 wheels off less than month ago and torque setting is not that great so I'm assuming that they are either seized or massively over tightened. Porsche recommend Optimolly on the threads but not on the domed seating face, don't see why Audi should be different.

I've ALWAYS applied a light coat of CoppaSlip (or Optimoly MP3 grease) to the threads and torque tighten the bolts to 88.5 lbf.ft (120Nm)

Yours have most likely been fastened by a gorilla type individual with an air gun and not the first I've come across: ALWAYS best to torque tighten these 'getting rare' wheels: I've a torque wrench pre-set and tested to/at 88.5 lbf.ft (120Nm) - just not worth the £s risk!

And apply a light coat of CoppaSlip (or Optimoly MP3 grease) to the hub too; if not then the wheel will most likely be 'stuck' to the hub:

Coppaslip brake hub

Note: CoppaSlip is now out of favour as the 'copper' content can and does affect the ABS/speed sensor so if you've Optimoly MP3 grease then best use that: I've CoppaSlip on the shelf and am very careful...

Last edited: