Wheel Cleaner That Works

ChivsBang

Reaction score
I’m looking for a wheel cleaner to remove the small groups of black spots from my front wheels.. it’s a collection of small black spots that have built up and have tried all sorts but they won’t shift... Any ideas or anyone who has a treatment that does the job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont mean to possibly offend, but you are agitating the spots with a wheel brush etc? I use adams wheel cleaner, MF madness incredibrush and a wheel brush for round the nuts, valve stem and awkward spots. The rest I clean with a nice little wheel mitt.

Always nice to hear other peoples wheel methods as weirdly enough, its one of my favourite parts to clean.

Reactions: Broonie22, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
i dont mean to possibly offend, but you are agitating the spots with a wheel brush etc? I use adams wheel cleaner, MF madness incredibrush and a wheel brush for round the nuts, valve stem and awkward spots. The rest I clean with a nice little wheel mitt.

Always nice to hear other peoples wheel methods as weirdly enough, its one of my favourite parts to clean.

Thanks for the speedy reply.. yes I leave it to soak pressure washer off then reapply to the hard patches then agitate with a brush for ages!!

Reactions: MattSedg
Thanks for the speedy reply.. yes I leave it to soak pressure washer off then reapply to the hard patches then agitate with a brush for ages!!

what cleaner are you currently using?

id imagine a iron fallout remover such as carpro iron x, could work. but if you're already using a strong wheel cleaner this wont be much different?
clay or polish could pull it off? ive never had any experience doing either mind

Yeah I find a wheel brush gets them off with some cheap Simoniz wheel cleaner from Tesco.

Never leave my wheels without a wash long enough for them to get in a state that a wheel cleaner is required.But Tard X, lron X should remove them spots. agitate with a wheel brush,better still take the wheels off one by one much easier, and really detail them with what you have in yer detailing back catalogue of products and by doing so,they will be far easier to maintain in the future,l plan to do this come better weather as my rear hubs are rusting already,so it will be a hub refurb,wheel detail and inner arch detail

Reactions: azibux1, Flying Scotsman and ChivsBang
If it’s tar spots, some Tardis should remove it, or if just general brake dust, bilt hamber Auto Wheel is great

Reactions: Schizophonic
Never leave my wheels without a wash long enough for them to get in a state that a wheel cleaner is required.But Tard X, lron X should remove them spots. agitate with a wheel brush,better still take the wheels off one by one much easier, and really detail them with what you have in yer detailing back catalogue of products and by doing so,they will be far easier to maintain in the future,l plan to do this come better weather as my rear hubs are rusting already,so it will be a hub refurb,wheel detail and inner arch detail
thats my plan this spring, although, i cant really believe how well my hub paint is holding up, they look slightly pitted but little to no rust yet!

Reactions: Jassyo06
thats my plan this spring, although, i cant really believe how well my hub paint is holding up, they look slightly pitted but little to no rust yet!

Hi pal,l thought ma hubs would see the most of the winter through but sadly not,probably because its been sat stationary/parked since l drove it home

Have you tried wheel cleaner from Bilt Hamber. Its Ph neutral so doesn't harm the wheel and cleans with minimal brushing. Check out the review on Auto Express.

Reactions: royalsteve68 and ChivsBang
I’m looking for a wheel cleaner to remove the small groups of black spots from my front wheels.. it’s a collection of small black spots that have built up and have tried all sorts but they won’t shift... Any ideas or anyone who has a treatment that does the job?

Try VP Dragons Breath - Spray On - Dwell - Agitate- Rinse.

Try using Mukoff, it wont affect plated fasteners and calipers like most wheel cleaners, it wont take the gloss off the paint either.
Put it in a hand sprayer and spray the wheels, let it soak in and then agitate with a good quality wheel cleaning brush.

The trick is to do it little and often and not to let the pad material sit for too long or build up,

If it’s tar spots, some Tardis should remove it, or if just general brake dust, bilt hamber Auto Wheel is great
I use the built hamber stuff. Works great. Goes cherry colour, agitate with brush then pressure wash off. Brings them up a treat. The black spots mostly come off with the brush but if not a little bit Meguiars Polish and microfibre cloth does the trick.

Reactions: royalsteve68 and SamR92
I use Bilt Hamber, which is great and PH neutral/non acid and brake dust shows up in a slightly alarming dark blood red (my car is bleeding!!) making it easy to see and clean off.

I previously used the non acid autoglym which is ok but its not one of autoglyms best products, which are good at best - avoid wonder wheels (alloy devil juice) and the acid based autoglym stuff (strangely autoglym do 2 different wheel cleaners, one is acid based and the other is ok, weird)

https://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product/bilt-hamber-auto-wheel-1-litre/

I use the built hamber stuff. Works great. Goes cherry colour, agitate with brush then pressure wash off. Brings them up a treat. The black spots mostly come off with the brush but if not a little bit Meguiars Polish and microfibre cloth does the trick.
agreed its great

Reactions: Broonie22

Does it look like what i had on the paint: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/fallout.348351/

IMG 20180225 WA0001

Had quite a few of these ! I used the Autoglym "clean wheels", I either just totally missed this spot or I need something more powerful. I also was only using a toothbrush as don't have a better brush lol.

View attachment 149452

Had quite a few of these ! I used the Autoglym "clean wheels", I either just totally missed this spot or I need something more powerful. I also was only using a toothbrush as don't have a better brush lol.
The Bilt Hamber stuff is good at getting most of these off. Need to use brush to get best results. Toothbrush might cause fine scratches so I use the brush it comes with.
The last 2 or 3 washes I have also used Simoniz speed wax on the washed, wet wheel, very easy to put on, gentle hose off and you have a coat of wax and builds up over a few applications. I have now done 2100 miles and no tar spots or build up of grime and makes wheel easier to wash.

Reactions: oli356
Angelwax Revelation......and use a softish bristle brush to agitate the gel like product, then rinse after 2 minutes then repeat if necessary