Wheel clinking and whirring, no torque

Jsimba

Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me with a couple of issues that have cropped up on my RS3 which I picked up in Jan at 90 miles on the clock (late 2019 model) from Audi Approved.

In the last couple of weeks I've been getting a loud metal "clink" noise when turning left to almost full-lock, the same when turning left sharply (i.e. with weight going through the right front wheel). I'm also getting a noise that sounds like having a playing card in the spokes of a bike wheel. It's worst when coasting and happens with and without braking. Then today I've found the car is really sluggish, both from a standing start and when accelerating on the move. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as crisp or as sharp as normal at pulling away.

My thinking is wheel bearings and/or CV joint but could it be something that goes even further into the drivetrain? Anyone had anything similar happen to theirs?

Hi guys, hoping someone can help me with a couple of issues that have cropped up on my RS3 which I picked up in Jan at 90 miles on the clock (late 2019 model) from Audi Approved.

In the last couple of weeks I've been getting a loud metal "clink" noise when turning left to almost full-lock, the same when turning left sharply (i.e. with weight going through the right front wheel). I'm also getting a noise that sounds like having a playing card in the spokes of a bike wheel. It's worst when coasting and happens with and without braking. Then today I've found the car is really sluggish, both from a standing start and when accelerating on the move. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as crisp or as sharp as normal at pulling away.

My thinking is wheel bearings and/or CV joint but could it be something that goes even further into the drivetrain? Anyone had anything similar happen to theirs?
I had my brake backing plate catching occasionally. Got a video somewhere...sounded horrific. Like when you get a stone stuck in there. Dealer looked at it a couple of times and thought I was making it up.

Reactions: Jsimba
Thanks D0C. I've got it booked in at Audi this week, so I'll add that to the list of things for them to check. It might account for the noise but the loss of torque is concerning me

Hmmm I wonder if you have a damaged driveshaft / CV joint / front diff or gearbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jsimba
Thanks T-1000, I wondered if it might be something along those lines, so good to hear someone having the same thought. Although I have no idea how I've managed it after running the car in pretty softly so far - maybe from a speed bump or pothole... Hopefully I catch the guys at Audi on a good day this week, so they look into it properly and rectify it...

Well, got the car back from Audi who confirmed they could hear the fluttering noise from the near side wheel and the metal clinking noise from somewhere around the same area when turning and cornering. So I'm not going crazy at least.

They couldn't locate the source of the issue though, so need to get two people out in the car with listening kit in order to pinpoint the source of the issue, which they can't do under current COVID-19 guidelines. So I'm most likely stuck with the problem until the end of July at least. Despite this, I was told the car was fine to drive in the meantime...

So I've booked in at AmD Technik next week, to see what they can uncover instead. I've read good things about them, so fingers crossed! I'd rather pay a bit to get it fixed than wait for Audi to pull their fingers out and sort it.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, not just with Audi's inability to properly investigate the issue, but that it's happening on a car I've driven pretty sedately for only 1,500 miles.