Wheel help!

StevieS38V

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m new to the site, i own a S3 saloon 8v facelift, just about to purchase wheels. The wheels i want don’t come with a et45 the closest i can get is 19” 8.5 et40. I know this question has been asked as I’ve scrolled through the threads and can’t find a definite answer. Can i run 19” 8.5 et40 with 235/35/19 tyres. I plan on lowering car as well. Any help is much appreciated

Stevie

19x8.5 ET45 (front and +8mm spacers to the back) for a sportback = flush look.
19x8.5 ET35-40 should be fine for a saloon as it has wider wings.

19x8.5 ET45 (front and +8mm spacers to the back) for a sportback = flush look.
19x8.5 ET35-40 should be fine for a saloon as it has wider wings.
Thanks for reply mate. Can’t get them in et45 unfortunately. Need to look at another set then I’m thinking

Thanks for reply mate. Can’t get them in et45 unfortunately. Need to look at another set then I’m thinking
You have a saloon, do you? If so you have a luxury to getting wider/more concave wheels than the sportback owners. You can even get an A5/S5 alloys and they would fit well. 19x8.5 ET35-40 would be fine for your saloon if, as you said, you were going to lower it.

Hi guys I’m new to the site, i own a S3 saloon 8v facelift, just about to purchase wheels. The wheels i want don’t come with a et45 the closest i can get is 19” 8.5 et40. I know this question has been asked as I’ve scrolled through the threads and can’t find a definite answer. Can i run 19” 8.5 et40 with 235/35/19 tyres. I plan on lowering car as well. Any help is much appreciated

Stevie
Can any s3 saloon owners help with this ^^^ thanks in advance

With ET 40 the wheel rim will poke out 15mm more than OEM 8" rim. Also dependant on tyre rim protection the tyre may have a stretched look, that is, it will sit inside the rim and the rim will be exposed. Also, the scrub radius will be affected. I went with 245/35/19 on 8.5 x 19 ET 47 rim with none of those issues, apart from poke out of 7mm

Last edited:
So you think et40 too much? What do think best wheel tyre set up would be? They only do these specific wheels in et40. If i need to play around with hight of car, wheel spacers and tyre set up i don’t mind. Any help welcome.

Stevie

I would not go lower than ET45...spacers will make the poke out worse....some like that look, but it can cause suspension/steering/wheel bearing issues and radius scrub. BBS make a lot of alloys with an ET 45 for Audi 5 x 112 8.5 x 19 alloys

Here is a good site for alloy/tyre suitability comparisons

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Last edited:
8.5 with ET40 is completely OK. There will be no issues with steering or bearing. Actually the radius center of the wheel moves outward only 5mm compared to the original ET. And the extra 13mm comes from the wider wheel. Which makes the setup more flush and better looking.

Reactions: dp_motley
8.5 with ET40 is completely OK. There will be no issues with steering or bearing. Actually the radius center of the wheel moves outward only 5mm compared to the original ET. And the extra 13mm comes from the wider wheel. Which makes the setup more flush and better looking.
Nice one buddy thanks for your help. Appreciated

I would not go lower than ET45...spacers will make the poke out worse....some like that look, but it can cause suspension/steering/wheel bearing issues and radius scrub. BBS make a lot of alloys with an ET 45 for Audi 5 x 112 8.5 x 19 alloys

Here is a good site for alloy/tyre suitability comparisons

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Thanks i had a look at the site