Wheel polish/ protection

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
EFC860FC DAB2 469E BA6B 982C536EC8B7
E01F6661 8DBF 46A4 8881 93F4FA9B0C67
What’s the best wheel polish / protection, I have a new set off wheels fresh out of the box and would like to keep them looking shiny and new already have water marks on them ideally something that I can use on my aluminium wing mirrors aswell

I really don't think most people know how much work you put into that whip of yours. I hope it all works out. It will be amazing. i use carpro dlux and then use a sacrificial layer of wax/sealant in between coatings. I don't have the HP you do but I think my engine bay is still pretty
534AA898 B026 4273 96AA 9F2AF5BEA598 1 105 c

Reactions: Jassyo06
Longest lasting would surely be ceramic coating? I've used carbon collective platinum wheels on my summer alloys.
Will do same in my winters when they come off.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I really don't think most people know how much work you put into that whip of yours. I hope it all works out. It will be amazing. i use carpro dlux and then use a sacrificial layer of wax/sealant in between coatings. I don't have the HP you do but I think my engine bay is still pretty
View attachment 199615
nice tidy engine bay that hopefully mine looks half as Clean. It’s has been a look of work but still plenty to go which I enjoy , only just getting started on it can’t believe it’s been over 3 years since I drove the thing

Last edited:
I have a ceramic on my winter and summer wheels. C5 on the summer stock set and for the winters I tried carpro cquk 3.0 with a couple of layers of the gliss topper. I used 2 coats of cquk and 2 of gliss on the winters and they've held up really well, not quite toucheless wash, but nearly. Very easy to apply both. The C5 was almost done after a year with just one coat. I usually squirt a bit of wet coat or equivalent around them once a month as well.
Forensic detail did a video comparing sealants to ceramics. Ceramics fared much better. I'll see if I can post link below...

Here you go:

That's because that pink stuff he is using is absolute bobbins.
I have used it and was very unimpressed
Tbf poorboys wheel sealant is probably the worst stuff out there to seal your wheels.
Other than ceramic, which ain't a wax, use a good durable wax instead like colinite 845.
Lasts forever and does work. (Well a long time) and will need doing again, unlike ceramic which is on for waaayyyy longer..
A quick blast with a hose on freshly waxed rims, and the muck just disappears.
It's horses for courses really.

Last edited:
Reactions: feva
That's because that pink stuff he is using is absolute bobbins.
I have used it and was very unimpressed
Tbf poorboys wheel sealant is probably the worst stuff out there to seal your wheels.
Other than ceramic, which ain't a wax, use a good durable wax instead like colinite 845.
Lasts forever and does work. (Well a long time) and will need doing again, unlike ceramic which is on for waaayyyy longer..
A quick blast with a hose on freshly waxed rims, and the muck just disappears.
It's horses for courses really.
Love collinite 845 it's amazing stuff

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ
Longest lasting would surely be ceramic coating? I've used carbon collective platinum wheels on my summer alloys.
Will do same in my winters when they come off.

Is it easy to apply? Want to use it on these before I put them on the car.

C9C325F0 B711 4419 AACA FF32C1D321ED

Is it easy to apply? Want to use it on these before I put them on the car.

View attachment 199792
I was an absolute novice with it and found it really easy!
Give wheels a good clean, I then de-tarred and used fallout remover. Good rinse and dry.

You can polish (I did a quick hand polish). Wipe down with IPA. Then a couple of drops on a cotton pad and wipe it over the surface of the wheel. Buff off.

Carbon collective have a YouTube video on how to apply it which I followed but theirs starts from a clean wheel.

Reactions: Radford212
My alloys just get coated with regular body wax & sprayed with ''aqua seal'' every other wash. Easy to clean & loads of beading. I've tried the wax for alloys & the ''special wheel wash'' soaps,in my book no better than the regular stuff. At the end of the day regular washing is the key to keeping alloys looking their best.

My wheels have all been off this week , cleaned in and out then coated with autoglym super resin polish followed by poor boys wheel wax

didn’t like the wheel wax , it is the worst poorboys product that I have ever used so won’t be using it again

as the car isn’t going anywhere for at least the next couple of weeks I’ll apply another cost of something , probably one of the detailer sprays that I have

whilst cleaning them it is apparent that the garage I got the car from did a pretty bad refurb on them , so once the bonus starts rolling in from work again they will be getting a proper refurb and colour change

Reactions: RS3 S.