Wheel refurb done wrong???

Buxton2901

Reaction score
So the garage that replaced my wheel bearing damaged the paint on my alloy and it's been back with them this week for a refurb, but I picked it up today and the wheel is in worse condition after the refurb.
Am I being too fussy here. Or is this unacceptable???
d1db941fccc988da99316465e5041f03.jpg
ee10261538332f449efdf7a2f1c9ed23.jpg
7fe48c78853281a36f3df9e51dfed53d.jpg
0d111362ae3a14365fda5e9655ef3464.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Have you been to challenge them about it and what are they suggesting ?

Reactions: Buxton2901
Not yet, I just picked up the car tonight and didn't check it propley until I got home. Will send them photos tomorrow.
Problem is the outer edge which is diamond cut is almost flush with the spokes now and it doesn't have enough material left for another refurb.
I'm so pee'd off its unbelievable

It's looking that way but how do get the dealer to pay for it. That's the issue I'm going to have I think

Just reviewed my dashcam footage and the wheel refurb company which the dealer used clearly decided to use my car to pop home at lunch time on Thursday.
I'm not happy about that.
Is this acceptable????

I'd say you have them by the short and curlies in that case. How dare they. When you say dealers do you mean a main dealer ?

If so I'd threaten them with a formal complaint to Audi UK headquarters. Sure they will sort you out then.

It's a mini/BMW dealer where I bought my bitdi a6 from a few months ago.

We'll see what the service manager says on Tuesday

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotty75
Don't take any crap from them, they're bang out of line. Unauthorized used of your car plus the shoddy work , ball is in your court.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

What should I go in for?? New wheel?

I certainly wouldn't accept anything less considering the unauthorized use of your car.

They have used your car to go home , you have not given them permission so they have in fact stolen it .twoc and used it I would be looking for a new wheel minimum but the dealer employed the repairer to refurb the wheel so it should be them that pays , How you sort that out will not be easy .
How long have you had the car and as a last resort could you return it for full refund ? and compensation if possible and find another as the dealers may not want to look after you the way they should having bought two cars recently.

I've only had the car 3 months and it only went In for a wheel bearing. Which is when they damaged the wheel the first time

Will do mate. I have just remembered they actually told me that their own body shop was doing the repair so to then sub the work out to a company 10 miles away and giving them my car for 4 days is a bit a pizz take in my opinion like.
This manager is going to get both barrels

Sorry lads. So I had to phone them and asked to speak with the service manager.
Explained the full story about them damaging the wheel then doing the refurb and totally messing it. Also the third company driving my car which he is very shocked at and agrees it's 100% unacceptable.
I also let him know that after I picked the car up last week the other front tyre has a screw and glass in it which I'm saying happened whilst they were joy riding my car.
I basically told him I want at the minimum a new wheel and 2 new front tyres. He is going to speak with the MD of the wheel refurb company but agreed they ahve opened themselves up to claims about the tyre by driving my car on personal trips. He's going to call me back tomorrow after speaking with his manager (branch manager) and MD of other company.

If I dont get what I want I will escalate this to Lloyd group and tell them I'm going to reject my car and want my full money back . See if that gets the desired affect lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ_26 and Scotty75
Further update.

Spoke to the service manager again today and he is basically saying they will not replace the wheel with a new one.
They are going to take the car in and sort the tyre which is beyond repair and look into what they can do about the wheel.
he mentioned a second hand refurbished wheel which i suppose i will have to accept if they are not willing to replace it with new.

Hate stuff like this happening to my car!!! :angry: :sadlike::blue:

Formal complaint to BMW / Mini UK head office. Involve police over taking vehicle without consent. Don't take their first offer, they are having you over!

Don’t accept their first offer. Push back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just sent an email to the Lloyd business manager and the branch manager to see if this can be escalated.

Personally I feel you are expecting a bit much from the dealer by asking them to replace an alloy.
Yes they are liable for the damage and should be putting it right and they have attempted to do that by contracting in a wheel refurb company at their expense.
It's unfortunate that the quality was poor, and you are right to ask for it to be rectified, but this isn't the dealers fault.
You should be pursuing the wheel refurbishment company to source a new alloy and replace the tyre for their poor work and mis-use of the vehicle without permission (I'd be asking for at least a fuel contribution on that one).

If you contact the finance company they probably won't get involved as the car is mechanically sound and the dealer has attempted to put it right, but the repair quality is out of their hands. If the car had mechanical issues or was unsafe then you would probably have their full support, but for a damaged alloy and tyre by a 3rd party company, they probably won't waste their time.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support your efforts to get it rectified and I have been down this road myself this year when I rejected a brand new Focus ST with a Ford dealer. I just think you are fighting your battles with the wrong company.

Good luck though, I will keep an eye on this thread as i hope to see a decent outcome for you.

So the garage have offered to get all 4 wheels powder coated free of charge.

I'm not sure what they will look like or what colour to get them done. Obviously it's going to change the look of the car.

Does anyone have any examples of a Daytona grey Audi A6 Avant if possible with powder coated rotors???

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys. I need to go back to him by tomorrow to let him know either way.

I'd stay as close to the original color as possible, may be worth trying to get the color code.

If it were me I'd want to keep as stock as possible other than totally changing the alloys.

so i have tried to mock up a couple of options for powder coated colours and i quite fancy chrome black or the wife likes dark bronze.
any thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• a6 bronze wheels.png
    a6 bronze wheels.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 592
  • a6 black wheels.png
    a6 black wheels.png
    976.3 KB · Views: 290
Black for me - looks really good imo

Just reviewed my dashcam footage and the wheel refurb company which the dealer used clearly decided to use my car to pop home at lunch time on Thursday.
I'm not happy about that.
Is this acceptable????

that is NOT acceptable at all in my opinion!

I'm almost decided on satin bronze to get heads turning and to be different. See loads of cars with black wheels these days.

Examples attached. Different wheels obviously but nice colour and goes with Daytona grey imo
9ae273bfdcd2b4b3d809e22ac58d4fca.jpg
f889dcc5dc27d83a1c4762e3efa863e2.jpg
881e262f9c6faf7e77ddacca6c22c47f.jpg

So the garage have offered to get all 4 wheels powder coated free of charge.

I'm not sure what they will look like or what colour to get them done. Obviously it's going to change the look of the car.

Does anyone have any examples of a Daytona grey Audi A6 Avant if possible with powder coated rotors???

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys. I need to go back to him by tomorrow to let him know either way.

I can't help with the example you are looking for, but below are the sline alloys I had bought powder coated in anthracite for my white A6 avant.
Never used them though as sold the car and alloys separately weeks later.
Alloy3
Alloy4
Alloy3

They look really nice actually. Hadn't considered that colour.

It's a nice colour on THOSE wheels. Not sure the original alloys on this thread would look as good in that colour.

They look really nice actually. Hadn't considered that colour.

But as I said earlier, whatever colour you go for, make sure they are top coating with lacquer, as this paint job appeared to be quite soft. When I sold the A6, Dealer had to swap over winter tyres onto these wheels, and put my summer tyres back on original, they obviously got that wrong, but also chipped and marked two of the alloys. I then got them to repair, and sold.

The above said, I had bought these wheels done like this, so cannot vouch for the company that sprayed them, but suffice to say a proper powder coat job would be fine like https://platinumalloys.com/. It was when I took one of my alloys in for refurb with them that I got the idea to get a powder coated set in arthracite

I'm surprised that the garage didn't disconnect the dash cam.
I had my one in a couple of weeks ago and found my one disconnected when I got back.
I'm pleased for you that they were too stupid and that they are putting it right, to some degree.

amazes me in this age of taking photos of everything including your dinner that no one seems to think of snapping a pic of their mileage when leaving their car w/ someone.

Reactions: NevMan, Jake 61 and Buxton2901
I'm honestly amazed you're accepting the refurb of all your wheels.

Surely the whole idea of it is that you want to have your car back in as good a condition as when you left it with them. Your contract is with the dealer you took the car to and no-one else (in reference to earlier posts by others). It's down to the dealer to sort this out (between them and the wheel refurb company) and if there is now not enough meat on the wheel to perform a second refurb, they should be buying you a new wheel (bear in mind, the wheel wasn't refurbed before you took it in to them).

I had a similar issue with a main dealer (Vauxhall, if it matters) when I had an Astra VXR with the optional 19" alloys. They managed to take a massive chunk out of one of my alloys changing a tyre (I wondered at the time why they took the second one to kwik fit down the road) and when they offered to refurb the wheel, I stated that it wasn't refurbed when it went in there and I required a new wheel. The service manager ummed and aahhhed for a bit and I then asked to speak to the dealer principal. Immediate change of tune - "We'll get one ordered in for you sir" was the reply.

Stick to your guns and keep escalating it up the chain is what I'd be doing!

The wheels had already been refurbished when I bought the car. They claim there wasn't enough material on them to start with and they didn't try to diamond cut them, just masked off and sprayed the spokes to cover the scratches.
At the end of the day they are paying for all 4 wheels to be powder coated and honestly the way people speak of diamond cut wheels flaking and lacquer peeling, I'm glad I won't have that problem now and if I kurb one I will just pay 40 to have it ready powder coated and not 140 for diamond cut. I'm happy with the resolution. Let's see if I say the same once I see the satin black wheels lol

Reactions: NevMan
amazes me in this age of taking photos of everything including your dinner that no one seems to think of snapping a pic of their mileage when leaving their car w/ someone.
I do, every time my cars go in for any work when I am not present.

Reactions: Jake 61 and Buxton2901