Wheels locked Even in neutral

SimonGreen

Reaction score
Hi All

I have an Audi A1 2016 Automatic. I was driving it when ESP light came on and battery died while the car was still moving everything went black and lost power. It was in D and I put it on N. I got my friend to tow me home but after 5 5/10 minutes of being towed while car was still dead, the wheels locked up. It is as if the car is at P (Wheels spin opposite directions) had to get recovered home but even that was a pain to get on recovery.

I’ve tried the manual bypass under the gearbox stick cover that lets you change the gear from P to R,N,D. The gear stick moves but the wheels are still locked. I charged the battery and tried to start the car but it won’t start or crank. The P flashes if the gear is at it or if I use the manual release and change it to N or D it flashes at them as well.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry you've had a sh*tty time with your car mate.. Only thing I would strongly recommend is you get the car diagnosed to see what faults come up. At least then you will get an idea as to where to start.. Sounds to me though that the Mechatronics needs looking at. Also worth looking at the alternator as by your description it seems your car was running on the battery until it died? Maybe all that is needed is the Mechatronics unit needs re setting?? All guesswork by my part as I'm certainly not an expert :shrug: Hope you get it sorted mate.

Reactions: Gew and abmat
I’d second that. First step is to get the car running and all the electrics running. Does sound like the alternator died.
Once that’s done then the gearbox may sort its self out.

Is your car 2wd?

Reactions: pburv
Thanks guys for the reply. Yes the car is front wheel drive.

I think the car may be stuck in reverse/gear and that’s why it won’t start, but the wheels locking indicate P as that locks the transmission.

Reactions: pburv and SimonGreen
I think the car may be stuck in reverse/gear and that’s why it won’t start, but the wheels locking indicate P as that locks the transmission.

Yes possibly still thinks it’s in drive. Any ideas as to how to sort it?

New battery, establish if the alternator is charging. I hope the tx isn’t knackered.

really needs scanning and taking to a good garage.

Reactions: pburv and SimonGreen
These are the error codes I got. What does everything think?

4380868961442093e69c4ebb2d079800.jpg

You have an alternator fault and some of the others could be generated as the alternator may not be working.

Google some of the codes on Ross tech wiki.