Wheels S3 Sportsback 8V for the winter

D

Deleted member 132563

Hi. I was wondering if I can fit a pair of wheels with the following specifications on my S3.

225/50/17 R17
7.0J x 17
ET42

I have read that the recommendations are: 205/50R17, 225/45R17. Will 5 mm differ that much?

I'm asking since I can get them for a very fair price.

I'm not sure if the will fit over the caliper but that may only need spacers in to keep them away.

Just drive according to the conditions mate, no need for winter tyres, we don’t live in Iceland. I’ll get jumped on for this but I don’t care, been driving for nearly 30 years through some horrendous winters and never had to use winter tyres. Granted, if we lived in Alaska or Iceland then I might use them, but here in the U.K. we generally get mild and wet winters with perhaps a day or two of snow or frost.

Too much effort for very little benefit.

Last edited:
I think it notes our new S3 colleague is actually from Sweden not the UK and so winter tyres might be mandatory there as they are in many Scandinavian and North European countries.

Reactions: MikeParkin and Deleted member 132563
17" wheels will just clear the caliper but it will be tight. They wouldn't be listed as an option if they didn't fit.

The tyre you have in mind will be fine but your speedometer will be out a bit.

Reactions: MikeParkin
17" wheels will just clear the caliper but it will be tight. They wouldn't be listed as an option if they didn't fit.

The tyre you have in mind will be fine but your speedometer will be out a bit.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind. I might have the opportunity to get a pair of 205/50 tires fitted on the wheels, that might be the right way to go as it is recommended.

Reactions: davc and MikeParkin
I was able to get 205/50 R17 fitted without any change of the price with ET42. :sm4:
Case closed!

Reactions: mikemod, MikeParkin and davc
I think I may buy some 17's for the winter. I put some winters on my wife's car and it performed very well.

Reactions: davc
Good call Nike.

I picked up a set of lightly used S-line alloys a few years back. Was originally going to get a set of transporter steelies but got the alloys cheaper. I fitted a set of Avon WV7 which were £63 each at launch. What an absolute bargain they were.

I am a total convert and would never be without them during the winter months.

They conquered the beast from the east with aplomb:sunglasses:

Reactions: mikemod and MikeParkin
I had to try fitting one tire after measuring some more this evening.. It is indeed tight! Will this be ok?
20180706 223717 20180706 223539 20180706 223502

Used Continental winter tyres for several years on the Skoda and Astravan. They have been amazing, even up in the Highlands in thick snow.

Got a set of 16" wheels for the A3 S Line quattro and fitted Conti WinterContact TS860's (205x55x16). Never got stuck.

Would never be without winter tyres. They are not just for snow but better in cold, icy, damp and very wet weather.

Reactions: davc, mikemod and MikeParkin
Yea, 17s will be fine, if you look at label on the drivers door it will give recommended sizes for you car, mine says 205/50 17 for M&S.

The grip from the winters and Quattro is amazing, saving me a lot of time going home this year as I was able to take the back roads in the snow, when all the rest of the traffic was stuck on the main roads in long queues.

Reactions: davc and Deleted member 132563
Yea, 17s will be fine, if you look at label on the drivers door it will give recommended sizes for you car, mine says 205/50 17 for M&S.

The grip from the winters and Quattro is amazing, saving me a lot of time going home this year as I was able to take the back roads in the snow, when all the rest of the traffic was stuck on the main roads in long queues.

Thanks mate!