Wheels spinning / skipping recently

azibux1

Reaction score
Hi all

I used to be able to plant my foot from a standstill regardless of rain or dry and the car would take off... Recently I've noticed that I cannot do this anymore. It often now skips and judders about trying to find traction in the wet.

I'm thinking and hoping this is not a haldex issue that's developed, and instead is simply down to the tyres performing worse in the colder weather? They are P-zero's with around 6mm.

Anyone else noticed this change recently?

Sometimes its fine in the wet but other times it isn't - if it was a haldex issue some people say they get that even in the dry - so I don't think it would stand a chance in the wet at full throttle (but as I say sometimes it's OK so that makes me think it's temperature related).

Thoughts?

I recently got the car back from Audi after them looking at an audio issue but obviously that is completely unrelated - just happens I've noticed it at the same time I've got it back lol - it was with them for around a week (I was out of the country) and as we all know the weather has changed quite a bit in the past week or so.

Mines running pretty low tyres 3mm or so and I can boot mine from the line (when warmed up) with minimal fuss from the Quattro. I drive in individual with engine and steering in dynamic and gears in auto ..... dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Reactions: azibux1
Hi all

I used to be able to plant my foot from a standstill regardless of rain or dry and the car would take off... Recently I've noticed that I cannot do this anymore. It often now skips and judders about trying to find traction in the wet.

I'm thinking and hoping this is not a haldex issue that's developed, and instead is simply down to the tyres performing worse in the colder weather? They are P-zero's with around 6mm.

Anyone else noticed this change recently?

Sometimes its fine in the wet but other times it isn't - if it was a haldex issue some people say they get that even in the dry - so I don't think it would stand a chance in the wet at full throttle (but as I say sometimes it's OK so that makes me think it's temperature related).

Thoughts?

I recently got the car back from Audi after them looking at an audio issue but obviously that is completely unrelated - just happens I've noticed it at the same time I've got it back lol - it was with them for around a week (I was out of the country) and as we all know the weather has changed quite a bit in the past week or so.
lol if you think that's bad! When I first switched from the S3 to the A5 coupe I had a worried moment!!!

Slight angled to the right T junction at the top of my road which takes me onto the the main road with a 40mph speed limit, 90% of the time I turn right onto it, with the S3- see a gap boot it and gone, no fuss or wheel spin :) With the A5- first time at the junction with the car and s-tronic which I wasn't used to! (S3 was manual), saw a gap, booted it 'oh shi*' all flashing lights on dash, wheel spin, steering wheel turned right yet I was going straight!!! then got a grip and snapped me around to the right :D

Love the A5 but do miss the quattro at times more than the power!

Reactions: pburv and azibux1
Don't forget it's winter now, so when the temperature drops below a certain level it becomes greasy and slippery in places where it wouldn't normally.

Reactions: SamR92 and azibux1
But you should see more than one wheel spinning..........

Mines running pretty low tyres 3mm or so and I can boot mine from the line (when warmed up) with minimal fuss from the Quattro. I drive in individual with engine and steering in dynamic and gears in auto ..... dunno if that makes a difference or not.
We talking tyres warmed up, or oil?
lol if you think that's bad! When I first switched from the S3 to the A5 coupe I had a worried moment!!!

Slight angled to the right T junction at the top of my road which takes me onto the the main road with a 40mph speed limit, 90% of the time I turn right onto it, with the S3- see a gap boot it and gone, no fuss or wheel spin :) With the A5- first time at the junction with the car and s-tronic which I wasn't used to! (S3 was manual), saw a gap, booted it 'oh shi*' all flashing lights on dash, wheel spin, steering wheel turned right yet I was going straight!!! then got a grip and snapped me around to the right :D

Love the A5 but do miss the quattro at times more than the power!
Ha yeah I had a FWD A3 as a courtesy car and it seriously highlighted to me how much quattro really does!
Don't forget it's winter now, so when the temperature drops below a certain level it becomes greasy and slippery in places where it wouldn't normally.
Yeah that's a good point, also explains why it only happens in some places. I stopped on a long journey about 4 times and it was 50/50 whether it skipped about or whether it took off.
But you should see more than one wheel spinning..........
Sorry not sure what you mean, I'm inside I can't see what's spinning :D

It'll likely be the temperature - standard summer tyres get very hard at lower temperatures, reducing grip. That's where winter tyres come into their own.

It'll likely be the temperature - standard summer tyres get very hard at lower temperatures, reducing grip. That's where winter tyres come into their own.
That's what I'm thinking / hoping it is. I think it's possible but highly unlikely I've suddenly developed a haldex issue in a week of not even driving it.

We'll hopefully get a warm wet day soon to test lol

I had this issue on my S3, then i noticed the front tyres were wearing faster than the rears (the previous 3 sets all wore at the same rate), it wouldn't wheel spin all the time but it was getting worse. I did a bit of research and it was probably the haldex, i changed the oil which made it a bit better but didn't do the filter before i sold it.
I'd get the oil and filter changed on the haldex and see if it makes a difference.

I had this issue on my S3, then i noticed the front tyres were wearing faster than the rears (the previous 3 sets all wore at the same rate), it wouldn't wheel spin all the time but it was getting worse. I did a bit of research and it was probably the haldex, i changed the oil which made it a bit better but didn't do the filter before i sold it.
I'd get the oil and filter changed on the haldex and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks! Tyres wearing surprisingly evenly at the moment (just had them checked just the other day by audi). First AWD and I was quite surprised as I thought it was mainly front biased.

It wasn't happening just about a month ago, and only done 9k miles so I'm gonna hold off on changing anything just yet. Want to get some warm weather ideally to test it out

See if you can find a patch of ice or something - mine still has summer tires on it and I've noticed I can't really floor it away in first unless its dry at the moment.

However - pulling away from a standing start, up hill with a decent 4 inches or lying snow I didn't get any traction control flashing and no drama at all.

In a straight line, standing start, I have no wheel spin at all. At a junction, I'll sometimes get the front wheels spinning abit as I pull away, but soon sorts itself out. I put this down to the conditions, the fact the wheels are turned and I'm trying to plant the power at the same time, so it's my fault. But yeah, you shouldn't really be getting any wheel spin from a standing start imo.

Reactions: Sherbs, davc and azibux1
OP, I had exactly the same issues you are having (my car is a S3 FL) and recently posted my concerns. I'm also a member of the Golf R forum and posted this up, dunno why I didn't post it in the Audi forum but again there was a recent topic about the Golf R Haldex system, here it is:

'Recently took my FL S3 in for a check-up after developing Haldex issues! Whenever I was at a standstill and hit hard on the accelerator, the car would wheel spin for 2-3 secs, traction light flashes and then a loud banging sound or 'trampling' effect would occur once I took off! This was putting the car in Dynamic mode and DSG in Sport!

Anyway, Audi dealership scanned the S3 to see if there were any fault codes and a fault was logged four days after I first noticed there was a Haldex issue with my car, but, bizarrely, when i took the car in, it was all fine, according to the master technician! It was like the car has a mind of its own (?!?!), it knew when to 'behave 'and when not to work! So, what they've done is 'reattached the Haldex components and system' – has anyone come across this? Do they mean the Haldex has been reset?

The technician was adamant the that new FL S3s and Golf Rs won't have the same Haldex issues as the PFL models cos it's a new revised system! Find that hard to believe! Anyway, car is working fine for now, but they've put a marker on my car in case the problem recurs!'

In addition to my post, a forum member pointed out the updated Haldex unit still uses the same old components, notably the pump! So, my Audi dealership was/is talking '50% bull crap'!

Good (in a way) to see a couple of others have also only recently got this issue.

@audinho that's very strange, I wonder what work, if any lol, they actually carried out!

I actually thought from my reading about here that it was actually the FL owners saying that the "traction control was too sensitive" - but yeah I believe it was the PFL that has the pump / control unit failure

I've noticed this too. I think it's the cold. Also noticed tyres oily/greasy. Have now switched to Winter tyres (and rims).

In a straight line, standing start, I have no wheel spin at all. At a junction, I'll sometimes get the front wheels spinning abit as I pull away, but soon sorts itself out
Mine does exactly the same thing. I was told the steering angle is the reason for the delay in the rear catching up and is a "characteristic' of the gen 5 haldex. Whether this is true or not is another matter lol.

Never had any issues in a straight line either.

I've had similar with mine recently, tyres are about a year old so nowhere near new but plenty of meat left yet.

12 months ago I had exactly the same which turned out to be haldex and I had the unit replaced at the time so was miffed for it to return again only 12 months later.

I had it back to Audi a couple of weeks ago. They had it for 4 days and had to go via Audi in Germany for a solution as they weren't sure what the problem was. They told me it was a software issue and they have updated it and are convinced it is sorted.

The weather conditions since I got it back have made it difficult for me to test. I had a bit of a go last night and there wasn't any wheelspin or tramping so it seems better in that respect. But I am not sure that it takes off like it used to. I think that when I planted my foot in the floor from a standstill it would take off immediately, and that is when the issue was evident. Now when I plant my foot it crawls for half a second or so and then goes. Or at least that's how it feels.

I'd be interested to know what others s-tronics do when nailed from standstill with auto brake on. I have the gearbox set in auto in the drive select.

I tested again on the way home today after driving for about half an hour.

6.5 degrees and greasy conditions - tested twice and both times it took off as expected without any judder

Had exactly the same problem, would only do it when pulling away at low speeds but not when kicking down between gears from 40 mph higher. Put the car in and diagnosed as faulty Haldex pump which was replaced and car is perfect now.
I have brand new winter tyres on car (but also had problem with summer tyres) so guessed there was a problem with Haldex

Had exactly the same problem, would only do it when pulling away at low speeds but not when kicking down between gears from 40 mph higher. Put the car in and diagnosed as faulty Haldex pump which was replaced and car is perfect now.
I have brand new winter tyres on car (but also had problem with summer tyres) so guessed there was a problem with Haldex
Would it happen every time from standstill without fail?

I tried it on a particularly greasy damp road the other day when it was around 9 degrees and it was OK twice... So I think my issue is just summer tyres not performing (understandably) around 3 degrees

Yes, wet or dry. It was particularly worse when pulling away from a roundabout or turning right from a junction. I pretty much knew there was a problem as this is my second S3 8V plus an RS3 8V and had no similar problems with them