Wheels & Tyres - Anyone bought from here?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Wheelbase-Direct on Ebay

This looks like a pretty good deal for a set of 17" RS6 replicas with tyres, but it doesn't say which brand of performance tyres is supplied. Has anyone here had any experience of this supplier and, in particular the tyres they provide as part of the standard package?

Their feedback is 100% rock-solid, but I'd be interested to know peoples' experiences of their products before I call them up.

I brought some nouvolaris from them,very fast delivery but the wheels was abit soft and went egg shaped.

i bought my first ever set of wheels from there good service and delivery. performance tyres are poo no matter what they are, your best off upgrading to toyo's or something.jeff a word of advice mate- 18s look to small on our audi's so id dread to think how small 17s would look. id suggest 19s mate

Hi mate, I purchased a set of 18" rs4 reps from them in march,at the time they offered a set of locking nuts if ordered over the phone,so i was a bit hessitant but used my credit card anyhow just in case, but they are a good set up,delivered the next day.I would phone them to check the make of tyre,i had an upgrade to barums and they have been ok so far no problems.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. It's good to know that people have dealt with Wheelbase; there's nothing like favourable recommendations from others.
:thumbsup:

I take the point about sizes, but I'm a bit concerned about the ride becoming over-harsh if I push the rims up too big.

(and apart from which, the 19s are twice the price of the 17s, and everyone on here knows what a skinflint I am.):laugh:

i just dont think it would be worth shelling out on 17s, u might aswell keep your standard wheels bud. i personally think the ride comfort is fine on my 19s and i have sports suspension aswell. maybe im just used to it now but its looks over comfort for me everytime lol

Im with Chris on this one too, 17's will look too small mate, 18's dont look too bad but 19's are the way to go.
Im on Sports suspension and the ride really aint that bad as you might think!!

Save your cash and wait till you can put some more towards to get a bigger set,18's minimum..

Im a tight *** aswell but dressing my ride in over sized shoes wasnt an issue at all.

:icon_thumright:

if u were to put 17s on, that would make it look even higher than what it is now. so what id do if i were u is decide how far u wanna go with it, i.e if u wanted to go to the trouble of getting it lowered etc. cause its pointless going for bigger wheels without lowering and as previously said 17s will look tiny mate

They're not aftermarket lowered springs, the Sport & S-line models both sit lower as standard. IMHO changing your car from standard will just make it look out of balance. I understand your desire to want to change the look a little, but it'll just make the car look like its been modified in dribs and drabs, bit like a 17yr old changing the rims on a Nissan Bluebird!! Unless you change the suspension and make the car sit lower the wheel arch gap will scream at you, the bigger the wheel the worse it'll look. Each to their own of course but if it was me i'd spend my cash on something else if your not going to drop the car at all. Having the lower bumper & side sills colour coded for example would make the car look a lot better than a new set of rims, and about the same price all in i'd hazard a guess!

I use wheelbase all the time, there based at Oldham. They do have a good set up and have never done anything wrong to me. Usual tyres they do are budget/midrange Khumo's and Toyo's. I would give them a ring to confirm the make and go for the Toyos if possible. I have a set of 19" rs4's from them that have been fine (currently for sale as I have just bought some genuine BBS Audi rims). I would definately go 18" or above though.

Nickynibbles said:
Having the lower bumper & side sills colour coded for example would make the car look a lot better than a new set of rims, and about the same price all in i'd hazard a guess!

Funny you should mention that, as it's something I have been considering.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted a view. No doubt I'll make my mind up in due course (unless the wife makes it up for me, of course.)

Ive used wheelbase loads of times, maybe 4 times and there spot on, I upgraded to Toyo's which IMO are too soft, 6k and there nearly fcuked, mind you we do have some good driving roads in North Wales.:icon_thumright:
P.S Useless info i know, but my avatar pic was taken in there car park.

jdp1962 said:
Funny you should mention that, as it's something I have been considering.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted a view. No doubt I'll make my mind up in due course (unless the wife makes it up for me, of course.)

Do it, it'll be a much better improvement to the car!

OK, well having listened to everybody's opinions and advice, this is what I decided to do.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/jdp1962/Image000.jpg

These are 18 inch A8 replicas, with Goodyear Eagle F1s. I got them from Sheer Class in Blackfen, five minutes from home. Balanced and on the car for £750.

The pic is a bit naff, as I took it on the phone with the last of the daylight. I'll post some more at the weekend, weather permitting. They'll be buggers to keep clean, but I am delighted with them.

Wow look much better, now go and get the lowers painted it will look better again.
Ian

Niknak said:
Wow look much better, now go and get the lowers painted it will look better again.
Ian

Cheers, Niknak, but all my quarterly bonus has gone on the wheels & tyres, so it'll have to stay as it is for a while.

Wow what a transformation. I opted for 18's on stock suspension and was surprised how good they looked, no trace of 4x4ishness.

Looks Much Better, Even better when the Lowers are coded!

:yes:

AndyMac said:
Wow what a transformation. I opted for 18's on stock suspension and was surprised how good they looked, no trace of 4x4ishness.

Absolutely, I'm quite happy with the ride-height. They're the same overall diameter & circumference as before, so they fill the arches just as well as the old ones did. Personally, I've reached the age where a little bit of suspension travel and bump absorption is a good thing.

One other question; pressures. I ran the standard 205/55x16s at 38psi all round, but the guy at Sheer Class said he was setting the new ones at 32psi.

I do usually experiment a little to find the pressure that suit me best (within limits, of course), but would be interested to know what other people runs theirs at.

now then ,now then!! jeff looks cracking that mate im considering some myself for later on in the year but in 19'. theyve added a real touch of class to your motor, as said once u get those lowers painted itll really start looking the part and once lowered....well that will look superb.
hows the ride quality old man?? ;)

I got my RS4 19's from there with MAXXI tyres. I still can't make my mind up about these, I wish I had paid a little extra for better ones as I feel right on the edge sometimes with traction and not at high speed either.

Anyone else had any experience of MAXXI?

WHeelbase were fantastic and the ALLOYS are GREAT. Would use them again, no problems.

jdp1962 said:
Absolutely, I'm quite happy with the ride-height. They're the same overall diameter & circumference as before, so they fill the arches just as well as the old ones did. Personally, I've reached the age where a little bit of suspension travel and bump absorption is a good thing.

You know you want to lower it...

image000copyme4.jpg