When do your Brake Lights come on?

richardm

Reaction score
...and I'm already waiting for the sarcastic answers!

Hope you don't all mind another question! I've noticed that my brake lights don't come on until I've pressed the brake pedal quite a way down. I can't really quantify it, but I was able to hold the car still on a roughly 1 in 10 downhill gradient and the lights weren't on. It's only a small problem but it does mean that sometimes when braking lightly I can see the brake lights flickering on and off to the car behind!
Does that sound right? I know the brake light switch can play up but I've got no fault codes and don't know whether the switch can be adjusted in some way?

Cue you all going out to your B5s and braking!

Thanks, Richard

Mine did this adjusted the switch and it was fine you could get the pads to bite a fair bit before the light would come on, best to try it while its pretty dark with the back end close to a garage door or wall.

Fault code scan required.

The ECU could well be getting upset about the brake switch, it reads signals from two seperate switches inside the one housing.

Fault code scan required.

The ECU could well be getting upset about the brake switch, it reads signals from two seperate switches inside the one housing.

Got the p0571 but pressed the brake pedal a few times and then it cleared without coming back so I've ordered a new switch anyway in case.