When is Dynamic Mode not Dynamic?

Rockall

Reaction score
Picking up from another site that, if the S1 is in 'Dynamic' Driving Mode and you switch it off, it reverts to 'Auto' mode even though it still shows 'Dynamic' on the dashboard display. Some say that, on re-starting, the exhaust valves stays open but damper ratings and steering sensitivity secretly revert to 'Auto'. Any info on this?

You have to cycle drive select back to dynamic after ignition cycle or its in a 'faux' dynamic mode with no engine noise etc (similar to auto).
Same in every S/RS Audi ever made with drive select (I've tested them all and argued with my dealer about it at length)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rockall and Ian Whiffen
Thanks, josedebardi. Very helpful. Why don't they just tell you that in the manual?!

Yeah I always cycle through to dynamic when I start the car. To be honest it's never in anything else. Lol

Reactions: Rockall
Thanks for this info, I'm on my second full tank of fuel and am trying it on Efficiency mode for this tank, hadn't realised that Dynamic needs to be reactivated every start of the ignition though. Easy enough I suppose, although I'm sure the manual mentioned it remembers the setting, unless it was the dealer who told me that on the test drive...

The few times I've ever used 'Efficiency' mode, I end up using more petrol - don't like that the throttle effectively goes to only 80%.

If you want more MPG, you're best sticking it in Auto and driving carefully! Can happily get 35-40mpg indicated on a drive even through London now (with 7,000 miles on the clock).

p.s. I also prefer the steering in Auto - feels a bit sticky and artificial in Dynamic for me (not heavy in a good, natural way) - I only use Dynamic now when I want to hear the engine a bit more, like on a nice B road.

Thanks for that - I'm currently on 36mpg on Efficiency mode, I'll try Auto next with the same style of driving and see what difference it makes.

Ok so I can also get 36mpg in dynamic mode (less most of the time obvs) so will be sticking to that :) Happy days

Ok so I can also get 36mpg in dynamic mode (less most of the time obvs) so will be sticking to that :) Happy days
36mpg must be frustrating as hell!

This issue with Dynamic mode seems very true...I've been playing with this each time I drive our S1.

Lol - it is SPIKE_S1, I wanted to see what I could get in terms of mpg by driving (in dynamic mode) without really driving it like a S1 if you know what I mean....

It's much easier to drive to 23mpg :)